• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dealer Test Drive?

Repsol69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
OK, So we're looking to buy a new AR195..here in Florida..(.1st time boat owners..)...Problem is it doesn't seem like boat dealers give demo/test drives unless you already sign paperwork n purchase the boat then they will drop it in the water and go over everything...Is this a common practice NOT to give Test Rides on new boats....UGH

OK, So we're looking to buy a new AR195..here in Florida..(.1st time boat owners..)...Problem is it doesn't seem like boat dealers give demo/test drives unless you already sign paperwork n purchase the boat then they will drop it in the water and go over everything...Is this a common practice NOT to give Test Rides on new boats....UGH

Hello PSL neighbor! And, NO! It absolutely is not normal to not be allowed a water test. ESPECIALLY here in S. FL! Not gonna ask which dealership you have been dealing with but..... RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!

If the dealer isn't eager to get you out on the water, I think I'd find a different dealer. Boat test drives are common practice in my experience. Because it is a lot more work, than say test driving a car, they have queried that I'm actually a potential buyer and actively looking. However, I've never had to prove that.

Depends where. Here in SoCal they do not do dealer test drives.

You have to be a pretty serious buyer to go on a ride in my experience. I’m sure they get a lot of tire kickers that just want a quick boat ride.

We had made a deal pending a test ride before we took it out.

Almost every dealer here in SoFlo has a demo boat...actually I've never been to a dealer of any brand that didn't have at LEAST one...

I took mine out 3 times before purchasing. Twice with a salesman and once by myself for an entire afternoon.

Most dealers have a demo of the boat or similar model. If they won't offer a demo ride I'd walk and go find a dealer willing to give you the time of day.

The dealer in Lineville, AL let me test ride a used sx210 on lake Wedowee. I wound up being a tire kicker over 950 dollars.

No ride in a demo and I would find another dealer. In FL you should find a dealer that has a AR or SX195 to drive. Call around,that is what I had to do. Best of luck and hope you find your baby soon!

I took mine out 3 times before purchasing. Twice with a salesman and once by myself for an entire afternoon.

Where did you buy from? Having an entire afternoon on a boat would be awesome.

I am also looking at AR195's and not a single dealer in California (soCal), Arizona, Nevada or Utah was willing to offer a test drive unless paperwork was signed and they were delivering on the lake. It really sucks out here when test drives sound like common practice everywhere else...

Good luck with the search!

I can see it being a pain but I would imagine if you made the deal pending a test drive most would allow it. That means having a signed purchase contract with proof of cash for purchase or financing set up and the contract just having an exception of final approval pending a test drive. If all that was done and the dealer still refused to take you for a test run I wouldn't buy from them. I can easily see where someone walks in and says yeah I like it but want to take a test drive first the dealer just saying no as they would spend a ton of time spending days on the water just giving rides. I have been offered many test rides from various dealers but all required either proof of funds for purchase up front or a pre approval letter of financing significant enough to purchase the boat. Another item I could see being a issue is dealer location if there is no lake big enough to test the boat in with in 15 to maybe 20 miles or so of the dealer I could see them saying no as well.

They can tell in most cases if you can qualify and if you are a serious buy. When we bought our first Yamaha, from Phil Dill Boats, in Lewisville Texas, they took me on a test drive. And I had told them that I was window shopping and considering used over new. They wanted to earn my business and about two weeks after that test drive, I was still undecided. My salesman, who is now the GM at the dealership, called me and told me the owner of the dealership wanted to talk to me. They put me on speaker phone and he too offered to drop the boat on a Saturday morning, full of fuel, and a cooler full of beverages and snacks, and for my wife and I to give it a thorough test. I passed on the free afternoon, but I bought the boat!

If they're not concerned with earning your business before you buy, I would have serious doubts about their attitude after the sale is completed. I'd find another dealer.

My dealer wanted make sure I was serious. We had a deal worked out on paper but nothing was signed.

Fredricks Outdoors in Priceville, AL

I'm fairly suprised that Fredricks was that agressive. Good for them. I was very impressed with how they handled an issue for me over the winter too!

Last edited:
My dealer was more than happy to do a test drive. I wouldn’t sign paperwork prior to test driving a boat. To me it’d be like buying a car without test driving it.
I would definitely find a different dealership to do business with.

Irwin Marine in Laconia NH was more than happy to demo boat . Ended up buying a few months later from them. Yamaha SX190.

Back