• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Debris in drain plug area on new 2017 212 Limited S

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while but finally formally signed up now that we took delivery our new 2017 212 Limited S.

This is our second boat, but first jet boat and first brand new boat. Just curious if some of the debris I'm seeing when I pull the drain plug after being out on the water is normal. Looks like shavings of metal and fiberglass, which I assume is from various holes being drilled during the manufacturing process, but was hoping to get some confirmation from the group.

Thanks, and glad to be "officially" aboard!

IMG_5042.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while but finally formally signed up now that we took delivery our new 2017 212 Limited S.

This is our second boat, but first jet boat and first brand new boat. Just curious if some of the debris I'm seeing when I pull the drain plug after being out on the water is normal. Looks like shavings of metal and fiberglass, which I assume is from various holes being drilled during the manufacturing process, but was hoping to get some confirmation from the group.

Thanks, and glad to be "officially" aboard!

View attachment 54657
Welcome to the club!
Unfortunately it is pretty normal to find debris there, and a lot of it. It's appalling. I used a shop vac through the access hatch in the cleanout tray, otherwise you could try to flush it out with a hose. Shouldn't be a real problem, I would just be careful not to damage plug threads.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately that is normal -construction debris....I opened up the hatch under my clean out tray and stuck my shop vac down there to clean out the big stuff....then ran a hose to flush out the small bits.

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, my initial concern was doing damage to the drain plug threads if some of that junk gets stuck between threads. I also want to lube up the o-ring on the plug, but don't want all that crap sticking to it as it flushes out.

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the same issue this weekend. I used a portable vacuum and took out as much as I could before I put boat in the water. The water emptying out of bilge at the end of the day took care of the rest. I also found out that my anchor storage drain is not sealed properly which let in a lot of water and soaked my storage areas.IMG_0332.JPG

Liquid Therapy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just finished dealing with my anchor locker drain after reading about potential issues here on the forum. I didn't see or feel any noticeable gap between the hole inside the locker and the outer portion of the scupper on the hull. Just to be safe though, I covered up the outer hole with a piece of duct tape and filled the opening in with clear silicone caulk from the inside. Once it is dry, I'm going to drill through the dried caulk to open the hole back up. Should essentially create the "tube" between the locker and the hull that should have been there from the factory.

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Micj and Liquid therapy it's comforting to know (sadly) that I'm not alone with the debris problem AND the soaked storage lockers. This is in no way acceptable on a new boat and I couldn't think of anything else letting water in the boat. If you guys tried a fix, I'm curious to know if it was a good temporary fix. I'm considering a simple strip of duct tape just to see if I stay dry as opposed to my first two outings. Yama needs to address this soon. Is the water only dampening my lockers? I'd like hem to stand behind any damage caused by this leak as well as a permanent fix. Please let me know what you've discovered.

B

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum!

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks! I'm hoping this is the place for ALL my answers.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Micj and Liquid therapy it's comforting to know (sadly) that I'm not alone with the debris problem AND the soaked storage lockers. This is in no way acceptable on a new boat and I couldn't think of anything else letting water in the boat. If you guys tried a fix, I'm curious to know if it was a good temporary fix. I'm considering a simple strip of duct tape just to see if I stay dry as opposed to my first two outings. Yama needs to address this soon. Is the water only dampening my lockers? I'd like hem to stand behind any damage caused by this leak as well as a permanent fix. Please let me know what you've discovered.

B
@Brian McIver Welcome!
This would be a good start to address your issue, let us know what do you see:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/important-summary-of-anchor-locker-drain-issue-attention-fsh-and-21-foot-owners.13303/

--

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for recommending the thread Swatski! It was a good read. Still, there are several self fixes described but no word on how Yamaha is going to address it.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yamaha won't address it. Fix it and boat on.... [flag]

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on the new boat. Yeah, that debris is common. Good luck and happy boating.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for recommending the thread Swatski! It was a good read. Still, there are several self fixes described but no word on how Yamaha is going to address it.
They will have the dealer perform a warranty repair. Which will involve sealing the drain.
It may be preformed by a seasoned technician or a 16yo intern. But that's also the kind of stuff that most of us can do for the price of a small tube of 3M 5200.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They will have the dealer perform a warranty repair. Which will involve sealing the drain.
It may be preformed by a seasoned technician or a 16yo intern. But that's also the kind of stuff that most of us can do for the price of a small tube of 3M 5200.

--
I agree. I was an auto mechanic in my past life and my family has always had boats. I don't think doing a "professional" repair is outside my abilities by any means. However I'm curious to know whether or not Yamaha would ding me down the road for it not being done by hem. Hell, I already plan on doing the engine service myself, this shouldn't stop me. I guess this being my first new boat, like many others, the sloppy manufacturing and quality control is a disappointment to say the least. Glad I found the forum! I'll be sure to add my results here too.

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
no word on how Yamaha is going to address it.
I pinged Yamaha about this a while ago and they said they'd be adding QA steps to ensure this doesn't continue. Keep in mind that boats we are buying today might have shipped LONG ago from the factory. I would think that most good dealers would check their inventory and repair in advance....but not all dealers are alike.

I'm curious to know whether or not Yamaha would ding me down the road for it not being done by hem
This involves effectively caulking a gap. Yamaha will be happy if you do caulk it....it will keep your boat drier.

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd like to add I'm still getting some water in the forward storage. Not a ton, but some. I notice it in the ski locker but only small damp spots in the carpet. It doesn't reach the aft compartments though. I'm pretty confident I sealed the flaw well, does anyone think this is just residual water from the original flood? Think I should revisit the repair?

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian / All - Thanks for the feedback that Yamaha will at least respond to an issue. Considering the scope of the problem - from FSH to 240 E Series and all points in between, I guess that they are finally having to address. Having a boat with no significant compartments available for dry storage is pretty crazy. First time out in my FSH, I loaded up a lot of stuff in the center locker and ended up with it soaked and some floating not a great introduction. Between my two boats it continues to be a pretty significant challenge hunting down and addressing the leaks. Still have a ways to go.

Still fun boats but should not have to deal with these issues.