• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Deciding what new to me boat to get

auvich

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I previously had a Glastron I/O and after sinking it (long story- seal at the water intake failed), we are looking at a Yamaha Jet Boat (likely a 210). My main question is the noise. When they upgraded some of the sound suppression (I think this was 2016?), did it help substantially. I would rather spend under 30K (I see a 2015 AR210 for $30K close to me), but if it is tremendously better, I may bump up my budget to a 2018 AR 210 for $38K that I see for sale as well. Any thoughts on the level of noise before the upgrades? I'm just looking forward to having it at my Lake House on Lake Texoma.

Mike190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cant really speak for those but my 190 with the 1.8 isnt bad like I don't notice it if I am up above the window but it can be a bit loud when sitting down out of the wind. But it is my understanding that the tr1s in the 210s spin up a little higher. Best thing I would say is to find someone close to you that would be willing to take you for a ride or even a dealer.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would say the TR-1 engines at WOT aren’t much louder than anything else. At 40 mph you get a lot of wind noise to block it out. I did some soundproofing on mine that did seem to help, though I don’t think it’s night and day. All in all it doesn’t bother me that much. It’s no outboard at slow speeds though, that’s for sure.

H20 skier

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I went from a 2015 SX190 to my 2018 AR195 and the differenece in sound is close to night and day. When idling i sometimes cant tell if its running
and at my usual cruising speed of 6k rpm (conversation speed) its much quieter. Thats been my experience, twin engines may be a bit different. But my first jet boat was a 2007 230 HO and it was really loud had to stop to talk.

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My 210 FSH is not that loud. I added sea dek over the engine and a gasket around the engine compartment and I talk at the helm with no problems.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ya, read up on the sound deadening projects a few of us have done. For that dollar difference, you can buy a ton of sound mats for the interior of all cabinets and bays.

It will never be as quiet as an I/O or 4-stroke outboard, but manageable.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a Four Winns, 21', I/O for a long time. When I switched to my current Yamaha, the noise issue was something I had read about, but also knew that my 2016 had improved noise suppression. IMHO, the noise level is very comparable, as far as loudness. Because the Yamahas run at a much higher RPM, it is a different noise, but not any louder, and, at moderate cruising speed, perhaps even a little less than my I/O. The long and short of it is I dont think there is much difference anymore, with the improvements made by Yamaha.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cant really speak for those but my 190 with the 1.8 isnt bad like I don't notice it if I am up above the window but it can be a bit loud when sitting down out of the wind. But it is my understanding that the tr1s in the 210s spin up a little higher. Best thing I would say is to find someone close to you that would be willing to take you for a ride or even a dealer.
No - TR1's don't spin up higher and I think you mean the MR1's. The new TR1's in the 210 are quieter than the other engines and some of that is because of the updated sound deadening done in the 2017+ boats. I have a 2018 AR210 and it is not surprising loud except for when you are going 40+ and the wind is more the problem than the engines.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I was in your position I did some research and put together a spreadsheet of noise vs speed for various models that eventually became one of the FAQs here.
Here's a link to the thread: https://jetboaters.net/threads/just-how-noisy-thirsty-are-they.3938/#post-66982
I suggest you download the spreadsheet and have a look at the various tabs. You may be as surprised as I was...
Note that the Yamaha boats therein are from before the latest sound deadening changes.
(Which reminds me - I should find numbers for the latest models and update this!)

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the biggest improvements in the newer models is the sound deadening so when considering a new boat, look at 2017+ but go for a ride better yet.

auvich

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
After 9 months of looking, I think we have one picked out. Decided to spend more to have the wake features more built in. Looking at a 2018 212x with only 30 hours, asking $54,850. They say it is pristine. The way pricing is going with COVID, seems reasonable. Any thoughts?
Also is there anything we would need to look to add for a better wake? It comes with a Liquid Force Mega Wakesurf Edge wake shaper, but I don't see much about those on a Yamaha.

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good luck! I don't wake so not sure.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After 9 months of looking, I think we have one picked out. Decided to spend more to have the wake features more built in. Looking at a 2018 212x with only 30 hours, asking $54,850. They say it is pristine. The way pricing is going with COVID, seems reasonable. Any thoughts?
Also is there anything we would need to look to add for a better wake? It comes with a Liquid Force Mega Wakesurf Edge wake shaper, but I don't see much about those on a Yamaha.
NADA has adjusted higher during COVID, as their values are based on actual sales in your zipcode. So that being said, Low: $45k to Average: $51K, they are a bit high, but it's an asking price and very few hours. The season being over in most of the country will push the market back to more sane pricing.

Put zero value on that wake shaper, as they do nothing for Yamaha Jetboats. If anything it will hurt steering performance. put your money into additional ballast and wake wedge or Wake booster. That will have a greater impact.

Good luck,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way pricing is going with COVID, seems reasonable. Any thoughts?
I have no idea about the pricing, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it, just don't over extend yourself for a boat,

as for the wake device as bifdotorg said, put zero value in it, whoever is selling it knows zero about it and jet boats, tell them to keep it and knock $300 off the boat,

if you want to improve your wave you'll need weight in the back corner and something like the wakewedge to smooth out the wake,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and if noise is a concern the only way to be safe with this amount of money is to take a ride yourself, don't trust us,

auvich

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I feel good about the noise profiles on the newer ones. How doe the wakewedges vs TVWs compare for making a good wave

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are planning on putting on fins anyway, the TVW is a good option, but there is no denying, that the Wake wedge with proper ballast is the best surf wake out there. There is give and take with all options, and they will all help. Just choose the one that gives "you" the most function for the buck.

Both are passionate about their products and both will serve you well. I didn't want to give up my lateral thrusters, so I went TVWake. I could have gone the other way and swapped for cobra fins. All good options, but that debate has already been beating in too many threads here.

auvich

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So after a year of looking, finally decided on new since I couldn't find a used one I wanted. 4 months after placing a deposit, my shiny new 212XD in Sapphire is on the way. Hope to take it out next weekend and drop a nice wad of cash. Next stop, Lake Texoma.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Missed your post last year I guess...and congrats on the purchase! These boats are so much fun, I wouldn't care if they were louder, but ours is about the same as previous boats and wind noise is usually worse anyway.