• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth reading “0.0” always

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all. As the title states, I have a 0 reading for my depth at all times. Worked perfectly for the first hand full of times out this year then one day I looked down while cruising and it was nil. It worked fine earlier that day. I’m not getting any error messages so wondering if it’s maybe a connection somewhere? I tried to feel around the transducer but as far as I can tell the wires go directly into it so nothing to check unless I pull the whole unit. Next time I get to the boat I was going to check under the helm.
Thanks for any input.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long shot, but you don't have something like a bag or piece of debris on it on the bottom of the hull, do you?

Haven't heard of this problem yet. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it (or doing so via switch)? May reset the system...

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I turn off my switches when I leave it at the marina and I checked the underside for damage or debris and didn’t see anything. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any other suggestions? I’ll be on the boat all weekend to try to trouble shoot and bringing it home Sunday to install some speakers/amp.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it the airmar sensor on the bottom of the boat ? I had a blank plastic piece that showed in the directions to install for the winter to prevent freeze and cracking of the sensor .

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it the airmar sensor on the bottom of the boat ? I had a blank plastic piece that showed in the directions to install for the winter to prevent freeze and cracking of the sensor .
I’m not sure, I’ll have to figure out how to test it if that’s even possible. Visual inspection doesn’t show any cracks on the underside. By airmar sensor, do you mean the whole unit that is in the hull or just the plate exposed underneath? Thanks for the reply.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not positive or even know if yours is the same but the sensor that goes through the hull is designed to be pulled out to let water drain if it’s trapped. The airmar blanking plug was on my boat I never pulled mine I just read the directions that are in the package . It doesn’t seem to be a common failure keep us posted on what you find out .

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked around under the helm for loose or unplugged wires which was negative. Prob have to figure out exactly which wires they are and look for broken/cut wires and test with a meter.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Turns out I got bad info from my sales person. My boat has a year left on extended warranty and when I purchased it used, I was told that the warranty was only on the engines. I called them about the depth finder and was told that it was the transducer and it was covered under the warranty which covers the same stuff as the original new warranty. Only issue now is that the transducer is on backorder for a month, prob because they are not the best quality. They’re also nice enough to look for an alternate thru Hull transducer of better quality.