• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dewalt 20V batteries - anyone buy off brand copies?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any reviews that mention they get hotter, take longer to charge for same ah rating, or go Into thermal overload would be tell tale signs of inferior cells or controllers.

No doubt there is a big mark up on the name brand but it may be worth it. The c rating of the cells, the battery controller, and any wiring or connections all matter.

This time of year there are usually some very good sales on the name brand batteries at the big box home improvement stores or free battery with normally bare tool deals. Why not score a new tool and a new battery? That “BINFORD” 1/2 inch brushless impact with 5000 ft/lbs of torque and variable limiter is just calling your name argh argh argh ..... flannel clad helper not included ;-)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ARRR ARR MORE POWER.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You only need 2 for occasional use, I can imagine you needing more than 4 to run without stopping ever. You won't save that much... And I'm cheap, but in this case I vote oem. I have had mixed experience with knock off batteries, but have not tried dewalt knock off, just thinking of cell phone and laptop experience.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not quite the same but related. Not all 12v power supplies are made equal. I used a properly rated replacement 12v power supply I had on hand for my dual bay NAS when its power supply failed (not labeled switching or not and I did not consider the consequences of the difference). Hours later I had a completely failed drive, the other drive had a corrupted partition file and the unit was in thermal overload. Come to figure out that my unit did not play nice with switching power supplies. Luckily I am a geek running raid 1 and was able to run some command line linux/ssh tools to recover most of the data/files (full disk and file encryption don't play nice with off the shelf tools). I have also had a touch led dimmer get burned out by a switching 12v power supply. Long story short even something as simple as switching vs. non-switching power supply can make a big difference.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any reviews that mention they get hotter, take longer to charge for same ah rating, or go Into thermal overload would be tell tale signs of inferior cells or controllers.

No doubt there is a big mark up on the name brand but it may be worth it. The c rating of the cells, the battery controller, and any wiring or connections all matter.

This time of year there are usually some very good sales on the name brand batteries at the big box home improvement stores or free battery with normally bare tool deals. Why not score a new tool and a new battery? That “BINFORD” 1/2 inch brushless impact with 5000 ft/lbs of torque and variable limiter is just calling your name argh argh argh ..... flannel clad helper not included ;-)
I bought a couple of tools that came with free batteries, but they come with the smallest battery made. I want a larger battery that will last longer.....and they start getting expensive and aren't thrown in as part of any deals!

But I am asking now as I also hope/expect to see some black friday sales on these suckers!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a couple of tools that came with free batteries, but they come with the smallest battery made. I want a larger battery that will last longer.....and they start getting expensive and aren't thrown in as part of any deals!

But I am asking now as I also hope/expect to see some black friday sales on these suckers!
Check out the two top bold deals on this link that are live now. Left one is two 5ah batteries, charger, bag, and pick a free tool from below. Right one is a couple of tools and pick a free tool or package of 2 3ah batteries. I picked up a similar deal like these this last year and picked all up right in store.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check out the two top bold deals on this link that are live now. Left one is two 5ah batteries, charger, bag, and pick a free tool from below. Right one is a couple of tools and pick a free tool or package of 2 3ah batteries. I picked up a similar deal like these this last year and picked all up right in store.
Perhaps I should post a photo of all the Dewalt tools I already own! LOL The only free one I need/don't have is the vacuum. Anyone have it? Any good?

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps I should post a photo of all the Dewalt tools I already own! LOL The only free one I need/don't have is the vacuum. Anyone have it? Any good?
Which one? In 20v there are two choices. Both are very good for their intended purposes.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have had that vac for at least 8 years. Works great. Can do my boat on one battery.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its good spot vac. We keep it handy for quick touch up vacuuming on the sofa, inside the cars, boat, around the workbench, etc. Works great, we love it. How long it lasts is dependent on the capacity of the battery you're using.

One thing to note about using it as a wet vac, though. It does not have a level sensor or switch and it is very easy to suck up too much liquid and overflow the tank which tends to flood out the internal working of the vac. I made a post in the recent appliance repair thread about having to repair a vacuum with a blown internal fuse, well this was the subject vacuum.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This time of year you will find a good deal, it is worth it to go OEM here. These Dewalt battery’s I abuse day in and out and have yet to have a failure or fire.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Julian certain tools of mine use a lot more battery juice than others. For example, my 1.5 Ah 18v runs my driver and drill forever. I replaced all the decking on a 12’x20’ deck with like 2 batteries. The 4” grinder runs for about 10 minutes, I cleaned up 2 small welds from full charge and it’s as done. The sawzall maybe in between. My point is, could you save some $ by getting 1 high Ah battery for the heavy users, some moderately smaller ones for everyday stuff? Unless you’re a tradesman, might not be worth it. Seems like the higher voltage tools should be able to do the same work with fewer amps as well. Idk just my $1.05 (Team America reference).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian certain tools of mine use a lot more battery juice than others. For example, my 1.5 Ah 18v runs my driver and drill forever. I replaced all the decking on a 12’x20’ deck with like 2 batteries. The 4” grinder runs for about 10 minutes, I cleaned up 2 small welds from full charge and it’s as done. The sawzall maybe in between. My point is, could you save some $ by getting 1 high Ah battery for the heavy users, some moderately smaller ones for everyday stuff? Unless you’re a tradesman, might not be worth it. Seems like the higher voltage tools should be able to do the same work with fewer amps as well. Idk just my $1.05 (Team America reference).
Very true. What I've learned is that my latest new tool - blower - eats batteries faster than any other tool I own. Here in NC I seem like I'm blowing leaves, flower petals, twigs, acorns, grass etc all year long! My backpack blower is awesome, but just using the Dewalt to clear the garage, the parking pad, the deck, the patio and the driveway uses up both my small batteries and even then I run short. So this is why I need a higher power battery. I'd also like to be able to charge 2 batteries at once. So the kit that @Mainah linked above has already likely been purchased by my wife for me for Xmas!! LOL (I'm hard to buy for so when I mention something she pounces on it!). I'll guess that vac sucks up batteries too....so my two 1amp batteries with the two new 5amp and 2 chargers will leave me in a good place! :)