• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dialed-In Surf Setup on my 2020 AR190

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve been working on my surf setup all summer and I’m feeling pretty good about it right now. I wanted to share my setup and the progress I’ve made. I started with the basic Yamaha surf package last year and it was just impossible to surf behind it with 310lbs of ballast and speed changing constantly. So, I got pretty determined to figure it out. This year I added Perfect Pass cruise control, the 550lbs swim platform bag, and a 370lbs bag for the surf side bench seat.
We go out a couple times a week before work at sunrise now and here is a video of my favorite session yet. It was perfect weather and just glass as far as you could see. Was just an amazing morning. I’m still a beginner wakesurfer, so go easy on me!

Setup:
2020 Yamaha AR190
Yamaha Wakebooster
550lbs ballast bag on swim platform surf side 155lbs ballast bag on swim platform 155lbs ballast bag in bow 370lbs bag on bench seat surf side
Perfect Pass Stargazer Cruise Control at 9.8mph
Hyperlight Broadcast 5’4”
200lbs rider
13-18ft depths

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a nice setup, 1200lbs is a lot of weight for a 190. Have you had any issues getting up to speed with a few people on the boat?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve been working on my surf setup all summer and I’m feeling pretty good about it right now. I wanted to share my setup and the progress I’ve made. I started with the basic Yamaha surf package last year and it was just impossible to surf behind it with 310lbs of ballast and speed changing constantly. So, I got pretty determined to figure it out. This year I added Perfect Pass cruise control, the 550lbs swim platform bag, and a 370lbs bag for the surf side bench seat.
We go out a couple times a week before work at sunrise now and here is a video of my favorite session yet. It was perfect weather and just glass as far as you could see. Was just an amazing morning. I’m still a beginner wakesurfer, so go easy on me!

Setup:
2020 Yamaha AR190
Yamaha Wakebooster
550lbs ballast bag on swim platform surf side 155lbs ballast bag on swim platform 155lbs ballast bag in bow 370lbs bag on bench seat surf side
Perfect Pass Stargazer Cruise Control at 9.8mph
Hyperlight Broadcast 5’4”
200lbs rider
13-18ft depths

I'm not a surfer, but as a skater I am super super super extra double OMG jealous of those conditions. That glassy flat water is impossible to find locally. I just can't get on the water early enough with my current group of family/friends to see that kind of water. Amazing!

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a nice setup, 1200lbs is a lot of weight for a 190. Have you had any issues getting up to speed with a few people on the boat?
Yes, we will back off on the ballast if we have more than 2 on the boat + surfer. 1200 is def pushing the limits of the power. We are pretty regularly shifting people around the boat while surfing to enhance the wave or maintain surf speed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, we will back off on the ballast if we have more than 2 on the boat + surfer. 1200 is def pushing the limits of the power. We are pretty regularly shifting people around the boat while surfing to enhance the wave or maintain surf speed.
Any mods on the 190? I would expect cavitation would be an issue at that loading level.

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a surfer, but as a skater I am super super super extra double OMG jealous of those conditions. That glassy flat water is impossible to find locally. I just can't get on the water early enough with my current group of family/friends to see that kind of water. Amazing!
It’s pretty rare we get those conditions, but it’s so amazing to ride it. I love to use the surf board on a wakeboard rope when it’s glass like that and really ride it.
Any mods on the 190? I would expect cavitation would be an issue at that loading level.
No mods on the 190. We get a bit of cavitation, but the 155 bag in the bow really helped with that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s pretty rare we get those conditions, but it’s so amazing to ride it. I love to use the surf board on a wakeboard rope when it’s glass like that and really ride it.
Those conditions look amazing. I'm super jealous!

No mods on the 190. We get a bit of cavitation, but the 155 bag in the bow really helped with that.
If it continues check out sealing the pump intake tunnel, as well as the L13 cone. You can tune the pump a bit and get more consistent thrust from it.

What kind of time does it take to setup to surf?
Attach wakebooster
Place/Fill/Tie down bags
Anything else?

If you don't mind me asking....what kind of cash do you have in that setup? Gotta be $2k+ with Perfect Pass, Board, and Bags right?

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those conditions look amazing. I'm super jealous!

If it continues check out sealing the pump intake tunnel, as well as the L13 cone. You can tune the pump a bit and get more consistent thrust from it.

What kind of time does it take to setup to surf?
Attach wakebooster
Place/Fill/Tie down bags
Anything else?

If you don't mind me asking....what kind of cash do you have in that setup? Gotta be $2k+ with Perfect Pass, Board, and Bags right?
I've thought about the L13, but I haven't had a really good reason to spend the money yet.

I'd say it take about 20-25 minutes to get setup from drop-in to surfing, less to tear down. Its a tiny lake, so we normally idle out to the surf spot while filling bags. We attach the booster out the water, because its a lot easier and no risk of losing it during install.

Total investment....hmm..
$1200 Perfect Pass
$900 used Yamaha Surf Package (Wakebooster and 2x 155lbs bags)
$310 650lbs Custom FastSac bag for 19ft Yamaha (I thought it was 550lbs previously, but its 650)
$156 370lbs FatSac Bag
+ Your board of choice, I think my 5'4" Hyperlight Broadcast was $305 shipped.

Total: ~$2900

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
highfive! love seeing 19' surf tho not a big wave I love a challenge and got mine(scarab 195 open) Dailed in as well.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
love that glass. Morning dawn patrol surf sessions are the best.

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
highfive! love seeing 19' surf tho not a big wave I love a challenge and got mine(scarab 195 open) Dailed in as well.
That’s awesome! Yeah, I always love a challenge like this. Don’t see many 195 scarabs, but I love the way those look!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great thread and nice clean wave you got working. Still on the starter kit - 1 650lb transom bag. No booster. But I do I keep the beer cooler surf side to add 100 lb :).
Do you find d the glassy water helps a lot with the wave. And is the wake enhancer worth the cash outlay on it?
Thanks - also jealous of the glass! Makes me want to break out the slalom!!!

Last edited:

marcusmarc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thread and nice clean wave you got working. Still on the starter kit - 1 650lb transom bag. No booster. But I do I keep the beer cooler surf side to add 100 lb :).
Do you find d the glassy water helps a lot with the wave. And is the wake enhancer worth the cash outlay on it?
Thanks - also jealous of the glass! Makes me want to break out the slalom!!!
Beer cooler always helps!!

I don’t think glass helps that much for surfing, but it’s a lot better when riding the surf board out at wakeboard lengths. And just makes everything better.

I’ve never tried the Slalom, but there is a course just about 1/2 mile away. Might have to get a ski and give it a try some time.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Beer cooler always helps!!

I don’t think glass helps that much for surfing, but it’s a lot better when riding the surf board out at wakeboard lengths. And just makes everything better.

I’ve never tried the Slalom, but there is a course just about 1/2 mile away. Might have to get a ski and give it a try some time.
Don’t get to slalom much, as soon as the lake gets busy and the surfers are out it gets too rough to slalom ski, so if you can’t beat em - join em, hence the new surf hobby . never done the course, just open water.