• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Did Yamaha miss on the 22 series <2023>

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Couple things that are stopping me, Less ass in seat space in the cabin than previous 21s, that equates to less under seat storage. $70K starting point to get the real engines. Looks like what appears to be a narrower lower swim deck. Hull shape change looks interesting but have no way to know how that translates to ride. Over all they went backwards in what I was hoping to see.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I like the 22's, The unknown for me is, are they under powered and while the come with the in-water seat option which I like, it is my understanding that that eliminates the wake wedge, ballast (Fat Sac). only.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking at it this way, it's an updated 230 series. A little more HP with the newer engines, updated electronics, updated tower, probably about the same storage, larger fuel cell, and a few other differences.
With a middle of the pack boat I wasn't expecting Yamaha to swing for the fences with it and with the AR220 MSRP of $55k I believe they are priced right.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I am looking at it this way, it's an updated 230 series. A little more HP with the newer engines, updated electronics, updated tower, probably about the same storage, larger fuel cell, and a few other differences.
With a middle of the pack boat I wasn't expecting Yamaha to swing for the fences with it and with the AR220 MSRP of $55k I believe they are priced right.
Good points. The jump from the A220 to the 222s is $16K and if you want the Wake series XE you're at $81,300 and if you want the XD $108K. As some have stated previously, in other posts, they may have out priced their market.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I actually like the less ass space in the 220's! We plan to cruise as a couple or with four persons max and don't need all the additional bench seats and would welcome more floor space.

I really do like the new AR220/220 FSH, but am curious to see what the performance numbers look like.

Even with the price increases, I like the AR220's :)

I do wish, however, that the would do away with the optional galvanized trailer, and make it aluminum instead.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't get the lack of power comments. The twin TR-1s did just fine on the 210s. They could pull close to 40mph. Safe cruising speed is about 30mph. They had no issues pulling tubers or wakeboarders.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't get the lack of power comments. The twin TR-1s did just fine on the 210s. They could pull close to 40mph. Safe cruising speed is about 30mph. They had no issues pulling tubers or wakeboarders.
I think the concern is how will the boat perform with the extra 4 - 500 pounds of weight. There boat itself is a couple of hundred pounds heavier that the 210's and will also carry another 20-25 gallons of fuel, depending if bow rider or cc. Probably won't be a speed demon, but I expect it to have acceptable performance given the price.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think the concern is how will the boat perform with the extra 4 - 500 pounds of weight. There boat itself is a couple of hundred pounds heavier that the 210's and will also carry another 20-25 gallons of fuel, depending if bow rider or cc. Probably won't be a speed demon, but I expect it to have acceptable performance given the price.

Jim
Similar changes were made from the 240 to the 250... I certainty have no issues with the 250. I think it is being over-thought.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’re complaining about needing more power before anyone has even test drove one. More power is always welcomed but let’s see what they do before we start judging.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’re complaining about needing more power before anyone has even test drove one. More power is always welcomed but let’s see what they do before we start judging.
Overall the performance from a 210 to a 220 has to be lower. More weight with same engine will be a negative factor.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overall the performance from a 210 to a 220 has to be lower. More weight with same engine will be a negative factor.
But did they figure that in when they designed the hull??

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But did they figure that in when they designed the hull??
If the did some miracle designed hull to make it perform like or better than the 210 i would be surprised, the 250 series got a new hull when it came out and its performance suffered a bit. I am sure the new 220 series took design features from the 250

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
on paper sure, in real life…. Would you even notice? Highly doubt it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Time will tell when we get some real world numbers
Again… that is just paper. Being in the water, I highly doubt anyone notices a difference. Boats aren’t cars, so many factors at play. Current, wind, chop, etc.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If the did some miracle designed hull to make it perform like or better than the 210 i would be surprised, the 250 series got a new hull when it came out and its performance suffered a bit. I am sure the new 220 series took design features from the 250
Had a AR240 2010 and now a 252Se and i can feel the lost of power ... around 4-5 MPH across the board. But power is the only thing i miss a bit, everything else you can think of is a major update

Seno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I do not think they out priced their market but they are certainly looking to capitalize on every boat they can sell. Quite a few people has their 2022 orders cancelled, so there are plenty of people looking for new boats..... Not to mention we all know someone who has to have the latest greatest thing out. Hopefully their Connext has less bugs and this years boats are solid, for all the extra money they added you have to hope they are leaps and bounds better than last years.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I initially didn't like the idea because "Must have the giant motors" mentality.....Then I looked at performance metrics and they're just fine.

Coming from a guy who plunked his cash on a 190 instead of the 195 sitting right next to it back in '17. :D :D

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Had a AR240 2010 and now a 252Se and i can feel the lost of power ... around 4-5 MPH across the board. But power is the only thing i miss a bit, everything else you can think of is a major update
Also important to note that your change was pretty darn drastic. Probably close to 1,300lb difference between the two boats and the 252SE has a giant sail as a bimini which restricts top speed.