• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Diesel Power - Hauling Heavy

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As mentioned in another thread I started a grading business on the side back in 2013, last year could not take the summer heat in my previous open cab tractor and sold it and the equipment trailer. I decided I want to get this business in full swing again as the construction industry here is booming again and I have a lot of relationships with general contractors. I am almost finished with my residential grading contractors license, just passed the test earlier this week with a 97% score, just have to submit a few more things to the registrar of contractors.

So I decided to buy a new 42 Hp Enclosed Cab Tractor with air conditioning/heat with all the bells and whistles that make grading work easier and more efficient, I also purchased a 22 Ft tilt bed equipment trailer to again make things easier for loading and unloading. With the trailer being a 14K GVW and my truck being 10K GVW I had to get a D.O.T. Number, register my truck and trailer as commercial, and change my insurance over to commercial as well, talk about an expensive ordeal to say the least!!!

I finally loaded it on the trailer today, chained the tractor down, and took it for a test haul with my 2500 HD Silverado with the Duramax/Allison. The weight of the tractor & trailer is approximately 10,500 Lb's, got the brake controller dialed in and towed it about 15 miles, this truck does not flinch pulling this heavy load, you can tell it's behind you, but the pulling power is incredible and stops easily with the trailer brakes and the truck's braking system.

Diesels are awesome to say the least!!!

tow rig.jpg

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My next door neighbor has that exact same tractor so now I'm doubly jealous :shamefullyembarrased:

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My next door neighbor has that exact same tractor so now I'm doubly jealous :shamefullyembarrased:
I am a Kubota fan, they build nice equipment, did a lot of homework before I pulled the trigger on this one, also had full hydraulics (3 remotes) installed for the gannon, so it controls top/tilt and the rippers. The air conditioning works great and it's nice to get done with a job and no dust all over you.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The main reason we bought a 06 Duramax was to be able to tow heavy loads comfortably. During the summer we make hay down the road a few miles, and I do mean down, the hill I must climb to get back up here will test any truck. locally known as Hardscrabble Rd/Hill. A loaded 20' hay wagon can hold 12,000lbs+ the truck pulls up over the top with little effort. Wagons have no brakes, and do not pull faster than 25mph loaded, but the truck stops that load easily. I would not go down that hill with a loaded wagon/trailer without brakes. I would not even try this (going up) with my old 96 GMC 5.7(350) gasser. I did use a Ford with a 7.3 diesel for a few seasons, but the duramax pulled easier/faster up that hill. I am looking forward to replacing my 06 with a newer one in the near future. The only reason I say replace is because it is rusting out due to road salt used in winter. I might replace the bed with a flat bed and get a few more years out of it. Its been a good truck, does not even feel like there is a boat back there. Love your truck/tractor combo, You are preaching to the choir here. 06duramax/01 Kubota M4900 with cab.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The main reason we bought a 06 Duramax was to be able to tow heavy loads comfortably. During the summer we make hay down the road a few miles, and I do mean down, the hill I must climb to get back up here will test any truck. locally known as Hardscrabble Rd/Hill. A loaded 20' hay wagon can hold 12,000lbs+ the truck pulls up over the top with little effort. Wagons have no brakes, and do not pull faster than 25mph loaded, but the truck stops that load easily. I would not go down that hill with a loaded wagon/trailer without brakes. I would not even try this (going up) with my old 96 GMC 5.7(350) gasser. I did use a Ford with a 7.3 diesel for a few seasons, but the duramax pulled easier/faster up that hill. I am looking forward to replacing my 06 with a newer one in the near future. The only reason I say replace is because it is rusting out due to road salt used in winter. I might replace the bed with a flat bed and get a few more years out of it. Its been a good truck, does not even feel like there is a boat is back there. Love your truck/tractor combo, You are preaching to the choir here. 06duramax/01 Kubota M4900 with cab.:thumbsup:
Nice, 06/07 LBZ Duramax's are considered the best years for that diesel, they are work horses for sure, I would keep it around - and these Kubota's are great tractors!!!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Diesel towing is night and day.