• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Difference Between Rotax 200 and 250

Marc Cetrulo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am considering purchasing my first jet boat. Looking at a Scarab 195HO Impulse - is there any easy way to easily tell the difference in these motors. I have water tested one locally, but the one I am interested in is 4 hours away. Dont want to go that far unless I know for sure. Thanks.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
In my opinion I would only go with the 250 hp engine.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah definetly go with the 250 and even that's not really enough.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah definetly go with the 250 and even that's not really enough.
It's never enough.
But as far as telling the difference between the two, i dunno.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's never enough.
But as far as telling the difference between the two, i dunno.
Well the boat runs well when you have 1-2 people in the boat but when you have 3-4 people and towing someone the engine works hard. 50hp in a 19foot is a huge difference too so I wouldn't suggest the 200hp

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the seadoo's, the 255's were intercooled, the 215's were not. No clue what/how chap/scarab/glastron changed when they started using them.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The 200 HP is internally inter cooled and the 250 HP is externally inter cooled. Myself I would go with the 250 HP.

Marc Cetrulo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I agree with only buying the boat with 250. That's why I want to make absolutely sure that is what I am buying. Unlike Merc or Volvo, Rotax does not have a label dead center of the engine.
Is there a distinctive feature that differentiates the two?

Marc Cetrulo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Alan - THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was looking for

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why does their website say it's only 240 hp?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Why does their website say it's only 240 hp?
Dunno for sure but I ha e heard they over-rated the engine a bit from a few different people before. Either way, it's the engine to get if going a single!

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here is another angle... I know your question is on 195, this is from a 215 owner and maybe different, so for anyone thinking of the 215...

This will depend largely on where and how you will use your boat. I can tell you that on my 215HO (400HP) there are rare occasions I can run WOT for any significant amount of time (around 7.8krpm / 55 mph), and I would love to be able to do it more. The difference in top speed will be small with the 400 vs 500 hp version (5-10 mph maybe?), the problem is that in these hulls any wave action will impact your allowed speed significantly, the ride just gets too rough and most of the time you can't get close to top speed (my experience).

Sometimes I think I would be more than happy with a std. 150x2 HP engine set without superchargers (plenty of power!)- The only feature I would miss on the std. version are the seats which have a flip up bolster. The supercharger rebuild kits are $400 each from what I can tell so far without labor ; ) every 200 hours.

Most of the time I'm running 5-6k rpm 30-45mph on my 215HO. For wake boarding less than that (4-5k rpms). The std. 150x2HP engines could do that on the 215 easy.

The external intercooler is another maintenance item (condensation clearing, another winterizing item, another potential failure point), I would rather have less maintenance and more water time.

Just my two cents, I went with the 400 HP because I wanted as much as I could as we all think most of the time and it is ok, but if I had my 215HO hull (wake tower/flip up seats) with the 300 HP engine set and less maintenance I would still be happy knowing both boats now.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Rick215HO
Definitely agree with you, the Rotax Twin 150 is a great package. Reliable, better fuel consumption & quieter.
If the plan is to do some family cruising & watersport, this would be the perfect package.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a chap with 2 200's and when I was getting my first device, my mechanic told me that I actually have 212hp, but for some reason rotax calls them 200's, seems odd to me. WOT I've had a top speed of 49.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've seen 53 MPH on mine with 2 x 200's. I think it's PLENTY of motor. I couldn't imagine what the 250's would do.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coming at it from the Yamaha side, which should be the same concept, I would say: for a single engine boat - get the the strongest motor available.

What I find is that the twins have just some much more thrust, one does not need as much power behind the pump(s) to move the boat fast enough.

With a single, at least in the Yamaha, I found myself to push the engine a lot harder (as compared to what I do with the twins) and felt that the standard (Yamaha) 1.8l was barely enough. I would go 195 (SVHO) if ever go single Yamaha engine boat again.

Fuel economy considerations are a bit tricky, as with a stronger (single) engine you may not need to push it as much as with a basic 150hp one. So, while at WOT your 250hp will burn probably twice as much as a 150hp, it may not be such a big difference at all when cruising.

--