• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

discuss the expenses of a cruiser...

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So the new 2015 242LS got me thinking. I wonder what I could buy for around $65k. Just doing some browsing, I'm curious as to what a 28' to 34' cruiser's expenses would be.

Here's an example of what I'm looking at
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Four-Winns-338-Vista-101913629

I'm also interested in the Chaparral cruisers in the 28' range.

I use to do all my own work on my old I/O, but in this size range I'd probably let the marina take care of it. I already know what the marina would cost (also that it would require it year round).

Curious if anyone here has ever owned a larger cruiser. I wouldn't want anything older than an 05 and would stick with a reputable name.

Bottom paint, dock rental, I believe you are far enough north that it would need to be truly winterized.

But my biggest concern is that I have young kids so if I end up with a cruiser someday it will have at least one stateroom with a door that closes.

No kids and single and plan on staying that way. I use my boat mostly as a party barge. Sometimes I sleep out on it so that would be nice. Minimal wake boarding and I'd miss that, but the benefits of a cruiser might outweigh it.

I was considering trading in for a new 242LS. So around 65k. I intend on keeping my boat in the water next year so I'd also be buying a lift. Another 3 to 10k. It just got me to thinking about what other options are out there and how I use my boat.

I love my Yamaha so I'm really just curious.

Doesn't @DoubleTrouble have a Silverton? Hit him up with those questions, he posted some expense sheets for his boat awhile back. I should have saved them.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/cruiser-maintenance-and-spring-tune-up.321/#post-13286
Here is the cost breakdown from doubletree that mel was referring to. We were also looking at getting into a cruiser 28-32' or aft cabin 35-40' range. After doing a good bit of research and crunching some numbers a conservative guestamite for me was between $17-18k a year for a $60-75k boat financed for 15yrs kept in slip year round w utilities. This may seem a little high but I tried to be conservative with the guess because repairs/maintenance on these boats can add up quickly, especially when they are 10-15 yrs old in this price range. If the cost starts to cause stress then it defeats the purpose of the boat in my opinion.

We even considered getting one to use as a "floating condo" that even if it didn't run we could stay on the coast with and use our yami to get around and island hop. My wife is all about it! She would sell everything we own to make it happen tomorrow but I'm thinking I'd like to do a little more travelling first. I'll be following this thread. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Excellent work @Bacchus_fl ! I didn't even search, glad to see even the new members are using the search feature and it works pretty well too!

@Bacchus_fl, rent it out for four weeks a year at $5K a week and that $18K a year in costs disappears.

Thats a massive oversimplification of the charter business. But I hope to get into it someday.

The issue for me here is comparing a brand new boat to one that is 8 [model] years old. It's a tough comparison even though they are in the same price range. It really is sort of like the difference between a new condo and a few-year-old house.

I also cringe everytime I see an I/O that has rebuilt engines at low hours in comparison to Yamaha jet drives. This is yet another reason I went with Yamaha; I can trailer it, super reliability, easy maintenance, etc. I know everybody here already knows the selling points of Yamaha.

All that said, that boat is sweet and in a whole different class.

Depreciation is more significant in these boats as well...

So the new 2015 242LS got me thinking. I wonder what I could buy for around $65k. Just doing some browsing, I'm curious as to what a 28' to 34' cruiser's expenses would be.

I use to do all my own work on my old I/O, but in this size range I'd probably let the marina take care of it. I already know what the marina would cost (also that it would require it year round).

Curious if anyone here has ever owned a larger cruiser. I wouldn't want anything older than an 05 and would stick with a reputable name.

We will be in the market for THIS boat in the next 10 years. The kids will be gone and we want something we could not only stay on for the weekend but cruise to the keys if we wanted to. The only issue I would have with this boat is the gas engines. It needs diesel power.

We will be in the market for THIS boat in the next 10 years. The kids will be gone and we want something we could not only stay on for the weekend but cruise.

I'm in the same position and just tired of towing as well. Whatever we get will be used, We should start looking at this years models which will be at least 10 years old when We are ready to buy but it will still be nice. prior to retiring We may try fractional ownership to determine which type of cruiser to get although I'm leaning towards a fly bridge so I can see over the levees here in the delta. Increased height will make me get educated on how/when the draw bridges operate. I don't know if there is a fee associated with bridge use but wouldn't be surprised if there is.

Wow that is a nice boat for the price. My next boat will be something like that. We mostly tie up and float. I would like to have one that size maybe a little longer and a jet ski for the kids to zip around on. I don't think a lift is needed. I rarely see cruisers that size on lifts, most just get the bottom painted and it tends to be a 5 year maintenance item. Your biggest expense will be a 35' slip and fuel, depending on how much "cruising" your going to do. I believe you can also take it as a tax deduction if it has a living quarters and bathroom, but don't quote me on that.

Wow that is a nice boat for the price. My next boat will be something like that. We mostly tie up and float. I would like to have one that size maybe a little longer and a jet ski for the kids to zip around on. I don't think a lift is needed. I rarely see cruisers that size on lifts, most just get the bottom painted and it tends to be a 5 year maintenance item. Your biggest expense will be a 35' slip and fuel, depending on how much "cruising" your going to do. I believe you can also take it as a tax deduction if it has a living quarters and bathroom, but don't quote me on that.
@BigN8 you can write off the interest on the loan because it has living quarters and a bathroom. We do that on our camper.

This is the exact same thinking process I had when i saw the new price on the new 242LS!

I was all about selling our farm and buying waterfront property on the St. Johns River. Then buying an 8 year old Gibson houseboat to live on during the weekends and holidays. I had it all worked out, but my wife said no. So I talked her into a Yammi. I love my Yammi, but I will always dream.

I was all about selling our farm and buying waterfront property on the St. Johns River. Then buying an 8 year old Gibson houseboat to live on during the weekends and holidays. I had it all worked out, but my wife said no. So I talked her into a Yammi. I love my Yammi, but I will always dream.
Ahhh! The CFO strikes again!

A cruiser is on our long term goal list. When the kids are gone and we're no longer going to the lake every summer, We'll have a boat like this http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Bayliner-320EXPRESS-102303618

Just big enough to stay the weekend on and head down the gulf coast for a couple weeks for vacation. Cruise over to Tampa, maybe even boat down to the keys and back. We decided we would rather have this than buy a big house now that will eventually be just for us 2.

Back