• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI set to release new drone "Mavic" Tuesday 9.27.16 @ 11:30am est

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Supposedly this will have folding arms like the GoPro Karma. It will be interesting to compare the two side by side.

I have no idea if the Mavic is supposed to be entry level, professional grade, or something in between.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interested.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it costs more than the karma I won't be interested in it. I've never had a need for a handheld gimbal but that would break the tie for me especially since the gopro cameras record sound unlike the dji cameras to date.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the most exciting thing about this quad is the all new transmission technology.

From their website; "Inside the Mavic’s pocket-sized remote controller is DJI’s brand new OcuSync transmission technology, with a range of 4.3mi (7km) and Full HD 1080p video streaming."

The funny thing is that I really don't think with their advertised flight time of 27 minutes it will be possible to fly 4.1 miles out and 4.1 miles back before the battery fails. But I am really excited to see this incorporated in the next version of the Phantom.

The Mavic does include follow me and obstacle avoidance that the Karma doesn't offer.

Mavic is priced at $999. The Karma is at $1,099 with the GoPro 5.

I haven't decided which one I like best. The Karma with the built in screen on the remote, removable gimbal and the awesome Hero 5 for only $100 more than the Mavic would be pretty tempting. Especially if I was in the market for a GoPro camera. But with the Mavic you get the DJI name and years of quality products, whereas this is the GoPro's 1st venture into the world of flight and there's no way of knowing how many bugs they still have to work out.

It will be fun to watch and hear reports of these 2 new drones in the coming months. I think both are a big step forward for the hobby.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone who's interested I'm selling my DJI drone Advanced 3. I had the itch for a drone and this thing is awesome, but now the itch is scratched. I have it on Craigslist now for $775 but if anyone on here wants it I'll let it for $700. Has a hard case backpack and 3 batteries ($300 value) so you can fly for an hour total.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/5800804968.html

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman is your phantom an advance or a professional model? I thought the only differences between the two are the pro had a 4K camera (v 2.7k on the advance) and the pro has a faster charger. Does your's use the light bridge technology or wifi?

Back on topic, I think the Mavic is cool but am going to pass as the only feature that interests me is the smaller size compared to the phantom. By the way, I also read online that dji will be selling the Mavic without the controller (for those that are willing to fly by smart phone only) for $750.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman is your phantom an advance or a professional model? I thought the only differences between the two are the pro had a 4K camera (v 2.7k on the advance) and the pro has a faster charger. Does your's use the light bridge technology or wifi?

Back on topic, I think the Mavic is cool but am going to pass as the only feature that interests me is the smaller size compared to the phantom. By the way, I also read online that dji will be selling the Mavic without the controller (for those that are willing to fly by smart phone only) for $750.
Hey Ronnie. No I have he 4K version. Here's a picture of the boxIMG_0080.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman , I had to surf YouTube for a review but understand now that you basically have a phantom 3 pro without the light bridge technology.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that is a good deal and comparable to the Mavic as far as the range since, unless I'm mistaken, this dji product uses wifi not light bridge. You may want to consider @Trevor Shipman system since his comes with 3 batteries which are the costliest extras next to doc goggles.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that is a good deal and comparable to the Mavic as far as the range since, unless I'm mistaken, this dji product uses wifi not light bridge. You may want to consider @Trevor Shipman system since his comes with 3 batteries which are the costliest extras next to doc goggles.
Unfortunately, I already sold my drone. I didn't think I'd miss it but I do. So I ordered the Mavic. I will say I think the Mavic will offset all the things I didn't like about the Phantom. Due to the size, portablitly, controller set size, having to take the props on and off 1,000 times... I found myself asking the question, "should I take the Phantom?" That's wrong. The question should be, "Why wouldn't I take the drone?" I think the Mavic solves for that. I would highly suggest the Mavic.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OCMD , correction the p3 4k is comparable to karma transmission /range wise. The mavic is comparable to the p3 advance / pro and 4 with light bridge as opposed to wifi which the karma uses and p3 std and 4k use.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the quick sale and order placement of the mavic @Trevor Shipman . I can't justify buying another drone right now, especially if it's just a smaller p4. Selling my P3 advance system has been less than enjoyable, just found out the craigs lister I've been going back and forth with is a teenager with a PayPal account that he wants me to bring the items to him later this week, what a joke. I've already dropped the price just haven't resisted it here as I'd like to avoid shipping it if possible.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the quick sale and order placement of the mavic @Trevor Shipman . I can't justify buying another drone right now, especially if it's just a smaller p4. Selling my P3 advance system has been less than enjoyable, just found out the craigs lister I've been going back and forth with is a teenager with a PayPal account that he wants me to bring the items to him later this week, what a joke. I've already dropped the price just haven't resisted it here as I'd like to avoid shipping it if possible.
Ugh I feel your pain. I just went the eBay route with it to avoid that headache. I didn't have plans on getting another drone but as soon as I got rid of it I missed it. Good luck with your sale!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just sold my p3 advance to a guy who got a karma earlier this week. He likes the karma and showed it to me but reported that on one of his first fights it flew off out of control into a nearby tree. He got it back undamaged but can't explain what went wrong and is now reluctant to fly it. If I were considering either I'd probably wait a few months for the bugs to be worked out but also think dji's product is less likely to have as many bugs as the karma (go pros first drone).

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, Ronnie, but how are bugs "worked out?" Wait another year? I was looking at this as a Christmas present for one of my kids, but could hold it off until her birthday a few months later. It seems the Karma is better all around for ease of operation as well as a much better camera, BUT AND THIS IS A BIG BUTT the lack of the follow me and obstacle avoidance is a big issue with me. The crappy camera on the Phantom, on the other hand,is a big issue also, because the kid will be using this to make films.

Argghhhh!!!! Maybe I should buy a new phantom that is dated a year or so, and have seen prices plumetting since newer version are out? It seems you can get a new "old" one at a pretty good price now, but are the Phantoms easy to fly and do the earlier years have good cameras? You would have thought they put a better camera on the new mavic...

thanks for the comments, all! This is why we are here! A drone forum, correct?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the bad camera on the Mavic is exaggerated, from what I've read. It's more manual as you have to tap to focus is all. Though the view is much wider in the Karma. I'm going Mavic.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with Trevor regarding the dji camera. As far as I know, image quality on the p3, p4 and Mavic cameras is great and all mad at 4K but the Mavic has a manual focus step.

As far as bug fixes GoPro will probably do what dji does, that is release software patches every so often to resolve reported issues. The thing about dji is that they also include new features and new no fly zones in their updates not sure if the karma has built in limiting software but if it does I suspect that updates will include new no fly zones as well.