• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do I need a VHF radio?

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I operate in the Gulf and the Caloosahatchie in Southwest Florida. Don't plan on going offshore.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
YES
At the very least just get a VHF handheld.
You can get a handheld that will broadcast your location in case there are any problems with that I would suggest that and I normally tell anybody that is on the boat including children if there’s a problem or bad problem you can lift the red door on the radio and push the Red button and the Coast Guard will contact you.Help will be notified.
For $150 it is a huge insurance policy that almost anyone can understand and it has no monthly fee.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not if you have cell service where you boat. If that's not reliable, then get a 25w with a big antenna.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get one, no matter what it is an amazing tool to have, you don't have to buy a super fancy one with AIS, but a moderately powerful unit that has GPS and distress is worth having.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ditto on the "you never know" thread. What if your cell phone falls overboard or the battery dies in an emergency? What if you need to leave the handheld radio with someone else in an emergency? The CG may want to contact you in an emergency and they're not going to know your phone number. What if...What if...What if? That's why you need a backup. Besides, my inexpensive handheld has been useful in receiving information from the Coast Guard regarding local situations e.g. navigation hazards, weather issues, contacting the marina....

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It really makes no sense that boat manufacturers are not required to put a VHF radio on a boat longer than 20 ft

Jack Long

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very small investment to have a handheld unit aboard for the boating you do.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I second everything said in here. Also, sometimes its just interesting to listen to the chatter and see what's going down around you.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a portable one and I have been quite disappointed. Anytime I've needed it, I've ended up on the cell phone because the Marina did not pick up the hail. (Two different places.)

It might be useful at some point, but after a year I am surprised it has been so useless. It seems I'm the outlier.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get at least a hand held like some of the other guys said. It doesn’t sound like u r going to go really far, and it is not mandatory to have one. BUT it is a added safety tool, and u can never have to much safety equipment. I have a LS2000 that I fish and dive off in the waters surrounding the Island. I don’t boat really far with her, but I do go around the corner on the rural sides of the Island where there is no cellular coverage. There’s a lot of tourist sight seeing and charter boats that travel these areas, and having the hand held still allows me to communicate with them and any other vessels that’s in the near by areas. Having a peace of mind and a sense of security makes for a more pleasant day on the water. I also have a AR240, and will be installing a More powerful VHF with a large antenna. I want to do some Island hopping and boat to the FAD buoys off shore. I want a longer range setup for these trips, its great to have and not need then need and not have. Have a safe and great time boating, ALOHA.🤙🏽

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As others have said, Yes...at least a handheld. In addition to a safety feature, it also allows you to listen into professional traffic...it will give you more situational awareness. There have been several times entering our marina from the lake where the channel has gotten backed up by a rental boat that can't quite seem to figure out which direction is forward. Then ya hear a "Security, Security, Security, this is ___ a 52 foot commercial vessel about to enter the East Channel. Please be advised we are monitoring Channel 16." To which I've replied with my credentials and mentioned that the channel is currently clogged by a rental holding up about 5-6 of us. I always gets a "thank you, we will hold our position for a few minutes.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got a portable one and I have been quite disappointed. Anytime I've needed it, I've ended up on the cell phone because the Marina did not pick up the hail. (Two different places.)

It might be useful at some point, but after a year I am surprised it has been so useless. It seems I'm the outlier.
Most portables have two power settings one is five or 6 Watt and one is 1 Watt watch a video on how to use it on YouTube or review the owners manual when you switch it to 5 W if A marina is not responding at a reasonable distance you could ask for a radio check there may just be a problem with your radio.
The 1 watt is for when you are in a marina or close by so you don’t blast everybody’s radio.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think a hand held is almost totally worthless for anything more than communicating from a dinghy to the main vessel in remote areas. The rage is pretty much what you can see. If you can see shore, use a cell phone. Get a 25w base station if you will be in the open ocean. If you won't be in open ocean then you probably don't need a vhf. Look at the baofung vhf uhf ham for 35 bucks if you still want one. While you technically need a license, you can probably use the marine channels without issue. Verify it works on marine channels, but it probably does. I know it can do grms frequencies.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think a hand held is almost totally worthless for anything more than communicating from a dinghy to the main vessel in remote areas. The rage is pretty much what you can see. If you can see shore, use a cell phone. Get a 25w base station if you will be in the open ocean. If you won't be in open ocean then you probably don't need a vhf. Look at the baofung vhf uhf ham for 35 bucks if you still want one. While you technicallly need a license, you can probably use the marine channels without issue. Verify it works on marine channels, but it probably does. I know it can do grms frequencies.
Yes I'm seeing as little as 3 mile range with the 6-watt handhelds, I'm thinking that's not a lot more useful than a cell? We are usually farther away from the local CG station than that so it seems that communications would be by relay. On our last boat we had a base station and tall antenna which I felt would meet any contingencies. What antenna would you recommend?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length