• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do not use E-15!!

So I don't understand one thing... can flex fuel vehicles use it no problem?
we have a flex fuel expedition and it gets 10 hp more and 20 ftlbs more torque or something on e85. So some forum guys say that mixing some e85 into your gas helps in the mountains etc because of the power and lower need for air. Makes the power lower rpm and burns cooler and burns longer like a diesel fuel. Sounds great aside from the lower mpg

Yes, flex fuel vehicles can use the E15. Note it says Flex on the pumps. You also should not put diesel in your gas vehicle, but the news apparently didn't mention that. Not alarmist enough I guess. Seemed a little silly to me. Next will be the LNG warning...

The ethanol gives better performance at reduced gas mileage and eats certain seals. Flex fuel vehicles have impervious seals and the computer adjusts to the more rapid burn.

Yeah the video is pretty misleading, I have a 2004 Tahoe and 2009 Silverado both are Flex Fuel, so I don't know where they are getting the 2012 or newer thing? Maybe all vehicles since 2012 have the fuel lines and such needed?

Tdonoughue, like so many others I know very little about this subject and you sound like you know at least a little more than us on this. As for the not talking about diesel, I think they are just not wasting time on the common sense (for most of us) items.
The E85 does run a lot cooler. I know a lot of people that run it in the high performance vehicles’ for that reason. Terrible gas mileage but with these types of vehicles who’s counting mpg. But you do need larger fuel lines and injectors and maybe a stronger fuel pump also.
I'm not sure about this new E-15 fuel. Maybe you can explain why some of the car manufactures are saying that they will void your warranty if you use it. It seems like there is something to it, if they are willing to go to that extremes. Also on the video clip it talks about the ethanol separating from the gas causing problems.

As for LNG, IDK, I don’t think I have ever heard of it.

Had a friend use E85 fuel in a GMC flex fuel truck. 2 months later he had to have all his injectors cleaned. It wasn't cheap to have that done.

I used to use E85 in the Tahoe when I lived in Missouri, it was very convienent as several stations had it in the local town, and I never had a problem with it, maybe a little less MPG but not really very noticeable just my wife driving it to work and back 12-15 miles each way. Then we moved to Kansas and there were 2 stations in Wichita I think but they were way way out of the way to fill up at them so we never used it again. truthfully, I haven't even paid attention since moving to FL if any stations around here have it.

LNG stands for liquefied natural gas. A lot of city vehicles and delivery trucks from UPS and FedEx run on it.

Tdonoughue, like so many others I know very little about this subject and you sound like you know at least a little more than us on this. As for the not talking about diesel, I think they are just not wasting time on the common sense (for most of us) items.
The E85 does run a lot cooler. I know a lot of people that run it in the high performance vehicles’ for that reason. Terrible gas mileage but with these types of vehicles who’s counting mpg. But you do need larger fuel lines and injectors and maybe a stronger fuel pump also.
I'm not sure about this new E-15 fuel. Maybe you can explain why some of the car manufactures are saying that they will void your warranty if you use it. It seems like there is something to it, if they are willing to go to that extremes. Also on the video clip it talks about the ethanol separating from the gas causing problems.

As for LNG, IDK, I don’t think I have ever heard of it.
LNG stands for liquefied natural gas. A lot of city vehicles and delivery trucks from UPS and FedEx run on it.

OK, I've heard of that, guess I never heard the LNG term.

Thanks

Ethanol is a racket. Go here http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp and buy ethanol-free fuel as much as possible. I burn exclusively 91 octane pure gasoline in everything.

I wish I would have saved the article I read a long time ago about how much energy it took to produce the Ethanol to mix into the fuel. Just think of all the diesel powered Tractors and combines and such to harvest the corn and then add in shipping the corn to the ethanol factories, and the power the factories use to squeeze the ethanol out (or whatever they do)....
Same with "electric" cars, the process of fabricating the batteries for those cars are worse for the environment than driving the same car on fuel for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Lots of truth to that, @Wayloncle . Difficult to compute all of the ramifications of some of the proposed changes sometimes...

As to why E-85 or E-15 (or any other flex fuel) will void your warranty if used in a non-flex vehicle, it is because the non-flex vehicle seals are normal rubber and are eaten away by the ethanol. Concentrations at 5 or 10 percent are not a problem, and lots of normal gasoline has that mixed in. Above that you begin to eat away the seals. And void your warranty.

If 15% is a problem I have a hard time believing that 5%, 10%, or ANY concentration of it is not harmful.

Back in the day I had a 1992 Q45. Loved that car, it was awesome. In 1999 I had to have all of the fuel injectors replaced.

Then in 2002, I had to have 6 of the 8 replaced AGAIN.

Then around 2004 or 2005, it was running like crap again and the guy told me the same thing, fuel injector replacement.

I traded it in at that point, but I have zero doubt that this was all due to the 10% ethanol additive.

Back