• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do shipping covers shrink?

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried to put my shipping cover on the boat today. After an hour of pulling and tugging I finally got it to just barely slip over the bow. On the way to the storage facility the back of the cover slipped off and was blowing in the wind. Is there a special technique for getting this thing stretched into place? Can the cover shrink?

Only when it's cold outside.

I tried to put my shipping cover on the boat today. After an hour of pulling and tugging I finally got it to just barely slip over the bow. On the way to the storage facility the back of the cover slipped off and was blowing in the wind. Is there a special technique for getting this thing stretched into place? Can the cover shrink?
Did you release the tension on the straps before installing? I always install bow end first.

Last edited:
This above.

Temp is in the 60s today. I pulled the strap out of the buckle completely just to be sure. I tried bow first but I ripped the aft corner trying to pull it over the stern. Then I tried stern first and I was just able to get the strap sleeve over the bow rub rail. This is how I had it when it came loose on the road.

Mine fits over my towing cover no problem. I have never had an issue withat it. Are the newer covers made cheaper?

Last edited:
Start in bow and finish on stern.
White straps should be on bow.
Maybe your poles are backwards causing the shortage?

If you have the anti pooling poles in and they are not a fixed height (although they should be instead of telescoping like the those for my canvas mooring cover) maybe the poles are too high. Another potential issue is the Bimini top. In the stowed position I always had a hard time getting the cover to fit correctly. The storage solution was to remove the Bimini completely and store it apart from the boat. Good luck resolving this. unfortunately I know that gorilla tape makes a good shipping cover patch.

I don't think I have ever read of a shrinking M/T cover. The pole issue has caused issues before however, make sure they are in correctly, as well as the bimini top. If it won't cover, something that isn't designed to be holding it up is in the way. I put big noodles across my windshield and that makes mine super tight. So I know how it is a pia to get it over them. But the shipping cover should be less prone to stretch or shrinking. I suspect you have a twist or other shortening in the webbing that the rachets control. Hope you find the cause easily!

I'll have to wait for spring to resolve the mystery. I got the cover around the bow and one aft corner. Then used a bungie to hold the other corner. The boat is in storage until April.
I had the white straps in front. I took the bimini off completely. There was no visible pressure on the support poles. I removed the strap from the ratchet but maybe the strap was caught up somewhere in the sleeve along the sides.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Back