• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do this in your driveway INSTEAD OF on the side of the highway...

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get rid of the cr@p tires on your trailer!!! And I don't just mean replacing the belted tires with radials. I know a lot of you guys have been doing that, and most of you have been getting new radials for free, but IN MY OPINION you're still running a risk of tire failure. And possible boat damage. These Yamaha's are ~$60k boats, do you really want to be towing that investment on $39 tires? YIKES!!!

Ok so here's the story... Shoreland'r specs the trailers for 14 inch radials. The Yamaha dealers want to make every last dime they can so they buy the cheapest 14" tires and wheels they can buy. You can buy the tires AND wheels on these trailers for about $60 each. Seriously. Your $60k boat is riding on $240 worth of wheels and tires. Seriously? That's insane. Again, this is my opinion.

So I started looking at a solution. The highest load range you can get in a 14" trailer tire is load range C. That's 1870lbs MAX. EACH. So your 242 weighs around 6k lbs wet. That's 1500lbs on each tire IF everything was perfect and each tire was loaded perfectly evenly. So 1500lbs on a Chinese tire that's rated for a max of 1870, some would say that's "ok". But in a real world, those 4 tires are very rarely loaded evenly. So what happens when you have 4k lbs on one axle and 2k on the other? You now have 2000lbs on a Chinese tire that's "rated" (debatable) at a max of 1870. That's a problem.

So after researching tire and wheel sizes and weight ratings, here's what I found... You really need to have 15" wheels on these trailers. When you go to 15" wheels, you can then go all the way up to load range E or 2830 lbs max each. Load range E is a little overkill in this application, load range D is plenty. Load range C is too low though and really doesn't give the situation any wiggle room for overloading or uneven axle loading. (More common than you'd think.) The stock size on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers is 215/75/14. I settled on 225/75/15 load range D as what I would call the perfect size and load range. That size tire is rated at a max load of 2540 lbs each. That's a total load range of 10,160 lbs. for a tandem axle trailer. Sound like overkill? Not really. That 10,160 number on a tandem axle trailer is actually supposed to be reduced by ~15% or so over a single axle trailer. So the max load range is more like 8700 lbs or so, or 4350 per axle. That gives enough overhead so that if there's 4000 lbs on one axle and 2000 on the other, it's still ok and safe.

So what do all those numbers mean? It means that if you want to drastically reduce your chances of being on the side of the highway with a blown out tire and possibly damaged trailer/boat, get those undersized wheels and tires off your boat now!!! Seriously.

Here's some pics of the wheels and tires I got. I bought them from Onlinetires.com. The guy I dealt with was Leonardo Garcia, a really nice guy that took good care of my order. The original wheels I ordered weren't available, he found some wheels that actually looked better and asked if I wanted to switch the order to them. I did and he had them mounted and balanced before shipping them. I literally unwrapped them when they got to my house and put them on the trailer. Super easy. They cost me a little over $800 including tax and shipping, mounted and balanced with new lugnuts even. The tires I got were Maxxis 8008's, they seem to be THE trailer tire right now. They tow great, fit perfectly and I now don't have to worry about cheap overloaded tires ruining my weekend or trip.

As far as fit, on MY trailer they fit perfectly with no rubbing whatsoever. What I did do though is to cut the extra threads off the two bolts that are directly above the tires though. You can either cut them shorter, or simply flip them over and have the nut and threads on the top side of the fenders instead. The 15's look awesome on these trailers and the particular wheels I ended up with look WAAAAAYYYYYYY better than the cheap stamped steel stock wheels. DO IT! lol.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got those same wheels on our camper. I upsized from 15's to 16's so I could run LT's or light truck tires. I do run load range E on it since it weights close to 10k on tandem axles obviously. It floats down the highway beautifully!

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get rid of the cr@p tires on your trailer!!! And I don't just mean replacing the belted tires with radials. I know a lot of you guys have been doing that, and most of you have been getting new radials for free, but IN MY OPINION you're still running a risk of tire failure. And possible boat damage. These Yamaha's are ~$60k boats, do you really want to be towing that investment on $39 tires? YIKES!!!

Ok so here's the story... Shoreland'r specs the trailers for 14 inch radials. The Yamaha dealers want to make every last dime they can so they buy the cheapest 14" tires and wheels they can buy. You can buy the tires AND wheels on these trailers for about $60 each. Seriously. Your $60k boat is riding on $240 worth of wheels and tires. Seriously? That's insane. Again, this is my opinion.

So I started looking at a solution. The highest load range you can get in a 14" trailer tire is load range C. That's 1870lbs MAX. EACH. So your 242 weighs around 6k lbs wet. That's 1500lbs on each tire IF everything was perfect and each tire was loaded perfectly evenly. So 1500lbs on a Chinese tire that's rated for a max of 1870, some would say that's "ok". But in a real world, those 4 tires are very rarely loaded evenly. So what happens when you have 4k lbs on one axle and 2k on the other? You now have 2000lbs on a Chinese tire that's "rated" (debatable) at a max of 1870. That's a problem.

So after researching tire and wheel sizes and weight ratings, here's what I found... You really need to have 15" wheels on these trailers. When you go to 15" wheels, you can then go all the way up to load range E or 2830 lbs max each. Load range E is a little overkill in this application, load range D is plenty. Load range C is too low though and really doesn't give the situation any wiggle room for overloading or uneven axle loading. (More common than you'd think.) The stock size on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers is 215/75/14. I settled on 225/75/15 load range D as what I would call the perfect size and load range. That size tire is rated at a max load of 2540 lbs each. That's a total load range of 10,160 lbs. for a tandem axle trailer. Sound like overkill? Not really. That 10,160 number on a tandem axle trailer is actually supposed to be reduced by ~15% or so over a single axle trailer. So the max load range is more like 8700 lbs or so, or 4350 per axle. That gives enough overhead so that if there's 4000 lbs on one axle and 2000 on the other, it's still ok and safe.

So what do all those numbers mean? It means that if you want to drastically reduce your chances of being on the side of the highway with a blown out tire and possibly damaged trailer/boat, get those undersized wheels and tires off your boat now!!! Seriously.

Here's some pics of the wheels and tires I got. I bought them from Onlinetires.com. The guy I dealt with was Leonardo Garcia, a really nice guy that took good care of my order. The original wheels I ordered weren't available, he found some wheels that actually looked better and asked if I wanted to switch the order to them. I did and he had them mounted and balanced before shipping them. I literally unwrapped them when they got to my house and put them on the trailer. Super easy. They cost me a little over $800 including tax and shipping, mounted and balanced with new lugnuts even. The tires I got were Maxxis 8008's, they seem to be THE trailer tire right now. They tow great, fit perfectly and I now don't have to worry about cheap overloaded tires ruining my weekend or trip.

As far as fit, on MY trailer they fit perfectly with no rubbing whatsoever. What I did do though is to cut the extra threads off the two bolts that are directly above the tires though. You can either cut them shorter, or simply flip them over and have the nut and threads on the top side of the fenders instead. The 15's look awesome on these trailers and the particular wheels I ended up with look WAAAAAYYYYYYY better than the cheap stamped steel stock wheels. DO IT! lol.

Do you still have the stock rims if so are you looking to sell them?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn @gmtech16450yz , I thought I was done with my trailer mods but $800 for those rims and (larger) maxxis tires is making me rethink this. I'd have to add another $200 for a matching spare. Maybe I could offset the cost by selling my current set. Got leave some money for the mufflers you used to quiet your boat down. I'd be in for about $1,400 for these mods because of you, thanks, I guess.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great write up and information..thanks. These forums are costing me lots of money...:)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If nothing else i think i need to check my load rating and see where i am at!
I want to run to the scales once and see what i really weigh as well. Maybe i will run to the scrap yard right down the street this weekend for that.
I make a habit of my trailer tires being replaced about every 3 years. I find they rot because they sit! Lesson: use the boat more!
I got that super light 212ss but then weighed it down with that heavy aluminum tower.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good write up dude.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz, now you have shifted the failure point to the axle, bearings or suspension. Will you upgrade those parts as well?
Why bother? Tires fail 1000x more than axles, and he's not adding any weight.

Nice post @gmtech16450yz I knew I needed tires, but I didn't know I needed wheels too! Thanks for costing me more money!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why bother? Tires fail 1000x more than axles, and he's not adding any weight.
With 5,000 tire capacity and 3,500 pound axle capacity you might end up with a broken axle instead of a blown tire.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With 5,000 tire capacity and 3,500 pound axle capacity you might end up with a broken axle instead of a blown tire.

Lol. Without going into a page of technical cr@p, don't worry, my wheel/tire swap did nothing to increase the chance of a broken axle.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How so? Are you planning on jumping the trailer at high speed? Your not adding extra weight, just removing a likely failure point. There is absolutely no reason why extra tire capacity would damage the axle or springs in any way. 7000lb worth of rated axle capacity for even a 6000lb boat is plenty. Axles don't explode if they reach their rating.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz ........ i dont know what to say.... this is a stright forward no nonsense upgrade!...... i am disappointed! When i started reading it i thought, here we go... we gonna have high velocity tank tracks on this mother... or somekinda arodynamic upgrade to generate lift while towing to make it lighter.... or .. or.... replace the tire and wheels with your revolutionary anti gravity hover sticks that make your boat literally glide along without touching the ground.... but NO! We get a standard, run of the mill tire upgrade..........................................

o_O... a TIRE UPGRADE?? :( there truly are no heros in the world....
Lol

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@gmtech16450yz ........ i dont know what to say.... this is a stright forward no nonsense upgrade!...... i am disappointed! When i started reading it i thought, here we go... we gonna have high velocity tank tracks on this mother... or somekinda arodynamic upgrade to generate lift while towing to make it lighter.... or .. or.... replace the tire and wheels with your revolutionary anti gravity hover sticks that make your boat literally glide along without touching the ground.... but NO! We get a standard, run of the mill tire upgrade..........................................

o_O... a TIRE UPGRADE?? :( there truly are no heros in the world....
Lol

Haha. I'm sorry! Did you want to hear about how I separated the outside walls, jacked up and raised the roof over part of our house to give my wife's office a taller ceiling? lol. Or cut a hole in the hood of my car to make room for the supercharger? I'll try to keep my mod posts a little more extreme and expensive in the future.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the damage is done... nothing short of turning my boat into 48 foot cabin cruiser while using only a pocket knife will help!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to do wheels, but my 04 trailer for a ar230 was struggling with the stock tire size. Goodyear endurance 205/75/14 load d, 2149lb each, or 8600lb for a 3025lb (dry) boat, ~1100lb trailer, 50 gallons at ~300lb, and 250lb of beer =4675lb load. Thanks for motivating me!

Cross link to rubbing thread
https://jetboaters.net/threads/inner-fenders-rubbing-wheels.16935/

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good point....
On my first boat I blew a tire which caused by fender to flip up and scratch my boat pretty bad!
You got me thinking

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haha. I'm sorry! Did you want to hear about how I separated the outside walls, jacked up and raised the roof over part of our house to give my wife's office a taller ceiling? lol. Or cut a hole in the hood of my car to make room for the supercharger? I'll try to keep my mod posts a little more extreme and expensive in the future.
Actually, I would like to hear/see this. I'm thinking about doing this, for real!

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice job!

I'm thinking about jacking up the roof on a home I'm going to buy and have four courses of block installed to raise the ceiling. I'm checking on the engineering costs this week.