• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do Yamaha Engines require periodic valve adjustments?

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I was tinkering with my FZ09 over the weekend, now that I'm a boatless captain, and it got me thinking: do the yamaha engines (either the 1.8 or the TR1 triples) require valve clearance checks and adjustments as part of scheduled maintenance? if so, how often? my 04 R6 was scheduled to be checked at around 25,000 miles, but those engines almost never needed any adjustment, my 14 FZ09 3 cylinder is supposed to be checked at 10,000 miles. and from what i've seen online, the 14 and 15 year models almost always were outside of tolerance and needed some adjustment. also got me wondering if this could be a cause for the failed timing chains more common in the 14 and 15 model year 1.8s...

I was tinkering with my FZ09 over the weekend, now that I'm a boatless captain, and it got me thinking: do the yamaha engines (either the 1.8 or the TR1 triples) require valve clearance checks and adjustments as part of scheduled maintenance? if so, how often? my 04 R6 was scheduled to be checked at around 25,000 miles, but those engines almost never needed any adjustment, my 14 FZ09 3 cylinder is supposed to be checked at 10,000 miles. and from what i've seen online, the 14 and 15 year models almost always were outside of tolerance and needed some adjustment. also got me wondering if this could be a cause for the failed timing chains more common in the 14 and 15 model year 1.8s...

Valve clearance nothing to do with the timing chain failures. Faulty/poorly designed chain. Someone may have the shop manual but I don't see it as a maintenance item in the owners manual.

My service manual shows valve adjustment / check at 200 hours. Had mine checked at 190 hours, all were in spec. However the majority of the hours are at idle, might be a different story if I was running it hard a lot. Also, in my experience, most valve lash issues are associated with fine grit getting past the air cleaner that causes the face of the valves sealing surface to wear, not too much fine dirt on the water.

I agree with @scokill that valve lash has nothing to do with a cam chain issue.

so at least the TR1 motors have them as maintenance every 200 hours. did you do it yourself or take it to the dealer? was is costly?

I had the dealer do it, mainly to make sure that my warranty stayed in tact. I think it was like $400. I have no problem paying that since they have the tools and such to complete the job.

I had the dealer do it, mainly to make sure that my warranty stayed in tact. I think it was like $400. I have no problem paying that since they have the tools and such to complete the job.
I am sure $400 was just to verify proper clearance and if they were out(which hardly ever are) it would be more. I believe these engines are "shim under bucket" style so cams have to be lifted to reshim it

I am sure $400 was just to verify proper clearance and if they were out(which hardly ever are) it would be more. I believe these engines are "shim under bucket" style so cams have to be lifted to reshim it

You are correct about the shim under bucket and the cams having to be removed to change the shims.

I just hit 200hrs on my 212S. I went to my local dealer to purchase the oli change kit and ask the maintenance manger about the 200 hr value check. He asked if I was having issues, I said nope boat runs like a raped ape. He said don't worry about it until 300 hrs or more, but they will do if I want, but wait till the off season. The one thing he did say was don't put more than two or three pumps of grease in my intermediate bearing, he was why more concerned about over greasing the bearing than the values. Just what I was told so don't quote me on that ?

Back