• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have fins on your jet boat?

Do you have fins on your jet boat?

• Heck yes - best mod ever

Votes: 91 51.4%
  • Yes - but could have done without them

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • "Fins... we don't need no stinking fins!"

Votes: 60 33.9%

• Total voters

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep seeing mixed reviews on this mod and personally can not come to a final decision if I want to add this to the boat. The Cobra fins with the additional tie-rod end do make great mechanical sense but I wanted to see what the rest of you guys thought about this mod.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought cobra jets to get the extra tie rod and so the Mrs would have an easier time driving, but she doesn't really like to drive it turns out. Ran the fins last summer. Took them off but kept the extra tie rod. The best part of a jet is that nothing is dangling below the hull. Fins do work but not necessary.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not have fins and at this point after 2 full seasons I do not feel I need them. If I bought the boat with them I am sure I would be fine with them but I got used to driving it without them. I am sure they would help my wife drive it but even if I did have them she would still be too scared of doing something to damage the boat. I guess once you learn to read and react to the boat you learn how to handle it better.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@96Pirate - My wife is the same (doesn't want to damage boat)... but the complete opposite. She likes to operate the boat at low speeds but (and is actually comfortable with it), however once we get going she's quick to give up the controls. Which is why I am even more hesitant to purchase these since they are primarily for low speed boating.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely true. No need for them at speed. Once you get used to the low speed I don't think there is any point to them other than if you let someone else drive that has not before. Sounds like she is comfortable with them? Are you or do you let others drive the boat that are not used to it? I only let a few drive and that is more so I can do some wakesports. I always handle the docking and such myself.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bought a new 232 LS in '09 and a 242X in '15('16)-
I'm a lifelong boater, Naval Academy guy and have taken my family to sea on the Atlantic (catamaran sailing).
Naval architecture is all about trade-offs. You can add nearly anything, but it will always take away from something else. Nearly, zero-sum.
In my book, jet +'s vs -'s are way on the + side. One of the negatives is lack of rudder effect, when not thrusting.
I have lots of reasons to mitigate that weakness so I have immediately added Cobra's to both of my boats, with absolutely, no regrets.
This is not a right or wrong statement. As always, does your solution, fit your requirement?
I place a high value on slow speed maneuvering (do it a lot) and don't want to have to count on jet experience at the helm.
No brainer, for us. (BTW, I used each boat for a half-dozen trips before adding the Cobras, each time.).

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never driven a jet boat with fins so can't really comment on the difference but I have not seen the need to add them as I have had no issues with out at this time. When someone new is driving they complain about the slow speed maneuvering but then I press the no wake mode up one or two clicks for them and they are usually fine after that.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@robert843 - I am same the way. As long as you pay attention as slow speed (which you should since its usually more crowded in those areas) we don't seem to have any problems.

What I want to ensure that it doesn't negatively affect my high speed operations. @Glen what kind of differences did you notice after you installed the fins?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@robert843 - I am same the way. As long as you pay attention as slow speed (which you should since its usually more crowded in those areas) we don't seem to have any problems.

What I want to ensure that it doesn't negatively affect my high speed operations. @Glen what kind of differences did you notice after you installed the fins?
If you want to race, then less drag is always better. Less drag = less control. The OEM articulating keel is not out of control at any speed. But where I want better control, slow and while de-powering, the fins provide that.
I find that I run at top speed, very infrequently, and always looking for more control, when slow or slowing.
For my 'use-case', fins are a no-brainer. I trust Jeff and his attentiveness to getting this right, so again, Cobra's are a n0-brainer for us.
If your use-case is different, then your solution being different is very likely, even expected.

My kids have always liked my doing donuts (mid throttle) and asked today for me to do it and commented that with the AK's and fangs, that it has never been tighter. The Fangs noticeably reduced the effort at the helm to hold the donut (which makes sense since there is rudder, forward of the thruster pivot point.

Glen

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Glen - Thank you very much! "Mid-throttle" is where we stay most of the time (20-35mph). Both the wife and I feel rather confident at at lower speeds which is why I have been so hesitant to install any kind of fins. However with the comment of tighter handling at all speeds moves me towards the mod.

Thank you sir!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would like to point out that the 24 foot AK jet boat having a big keel down the center is a totally different animal than the regular jet boats.
With a large keel the boat resists turning at speed unlike the regular jet boat .
The extra tie rod is important to balance out the system and now the fangs added to the steering fins for reduced stress on the steering components along with the no drilling plug and play setup and a 30 day money back guarantee seems like a win- win situation for anyone wanting to see and feel the difference first hand. Just saying and remember this was designed as a model specific system just for those boats. Food for thought any way.

Ducrotchy1098

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was skeptical about them at first. But after the install @ low speeds. Best $200 bucks you'll spend! especially if you want someone else to trailer the boat....

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have cobras and live them
I drive before power steering in cars it is fine but it is nice to have same deal.
Works fine without but is better with.
I gained a little speed I think it directs some flow that went out to the side about 2 mph

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting point of information I now have the vipers AK-19 for the 2019 and 2020 nozzles and I have top fangs for ALL the vipers now you can really gets some strong reverse steering with those on top of the viper. I also have extended my side force stabilizers on the super ultimate AK systems to provide a planing surface for faster hole shots and more stable ride in rough conditions sort of like an extended ride plate used on P W C s. And again in the area of reverse I now have top fins for the magnum ak and ak-19 systems as well as extended fin brackets for planing.
Along with the super fins that can all be upgraded if you have the original system without the need to replace the entire system . And now I have special mega fangs for the vipers for 2016 to 2018 models with rudders. And super ultimate sets for the same models.
And I will have the super ULTIMATE AK-19 available for the 2019 and 2020 twin engine boats also with planing surfaces and a larger inner fin on those plus the same for the super ultimate AK systems . I just picked up the first run of these parts so I do not have a large number of them, However I plan on ordering more soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

yup talon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I didn’t notice a ton of handling improvement after installing them on my GT207. After reading all the hype I felt underwhelmed. Not mad that I have them but wouldn’t consider them a “must have” by any means.

Attachments

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Vipers on my 2018 190. I added the top fangs to them this winter and took it out first time last week since adding the top fangs. The Viper system was already very good at all speeds, especially low speed steering and increased steering control when coming off plane. With the top fangs I noticed much better lateral thrust when docking, was much quicker to respond to lateral movement at the dock. If you haven't noticed I am a big fan of the Cobra system I have and it is easily the best mod on my boat for around a $200 investment. I dont mean to imply a our boats suck without them, I just think they are better with them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are we really comparing apples to oranges? You have the sea doo pumps your nozzle works backward in reverse if I put some sort of super steering on that you would have no reverse because your fins would cancel out the reverse effect being that the boat is trying to go one way via the water exiting the reverse buckets and the fins going the other way.
I stay with this system because it provides a solution to slow speed bow wander and deals with lethargic steering response at slow speeds as well as better steering response at all speeds without hitting the reverse buckets or causing water spray and the stainless fins don't flex at speed.
I have been making that design for a very long time and I don't mess with it because it does what it was designed to do as it always has.
But if you are expecting the same results that Yamaha jet boats get from the super steering systems I only need to understand WHY ? These are not even close to the same systems. That being said let me remind you that I have a 30 day money back guarantee on my steering.
below is a viper with top fangs and a super ultimate AK-19 deluxe, both single engine systems for the Yamaha boats.
I can do all that because they don't have the nozzle and reverse bucket setup that your boat has and the steering system you installed, as small as it is does a good job of providing the influence I meant for it to do without complications.

Attachments

yup talon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Are we really comparing apples to oranges? You have the sea doo pumps your nozzle works backward in reverse if I put some sort of super steering on that you would have no reverse because your fins would cancel out the reverse effect being that the boat is trying to go one way via the water exiting the reverse buckets and the fins going the other way.
I stay with this system because it provides a solution to slow speed bow wander and deals with lethargic steering response at slow speeds as well as better steering response at all speeds without hitting the reverse buckets or causing water spray and the stainless fins don't flex at speed.
I have been making that design for a very long time and I don't mess with it because it does what it was designed to do as it always has.
But if you are expecting the same results that Yamaha jet boats get from the super steering systems I only need to understand WHY ? These are not even close to the same systems. That being said let me remind you that I have a 30 day money back guarantee on my steering.
below is a viper with top fangs and a super ultimate AK-19 deluxe, both single engine systems for the Yamaha boats.
I can do all that because they don't have the nozzle and reverse bucket setup that your boat has and the steering system you installed, as small as it is does a good job of providing the influence I meant for it to do without complications.
Assuming you’re replying to my “underwhelming” comment... please don’t take it personal. As a new boater that loved the thought of improved slow speed handling, your product sounded like it would fit the bill just nicely and it absolutely did.

But just like a new movie being released, if some consumers use the product (especially those with more effective applications) and are just blown away by it, their feedback can skew the expectations of other buyers and potentially leave them feeling underwhelmed.

This is no fault of yours. Your product still delivered exactly what it advertised, which was an improved steering system that doesn’t hinder other functionalities of the jet. And for the record (again), I’m not mad that I installed these.

I probably should’ve realized this before purchasing, so my hope would be that my post (with photos displaying the much more compact design) will help tame others expectations with buying these same fins.

Englert1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was skeptical about them at first. But after the install @ low speeds. Best $200 bucks you'll spend! especially if you want someone else to trailer the boat....
Agreed!