• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking. Do you high and dry? Do you keep it in the water?

Peggy L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are getting a new 242 limited S. Wondering how to store it during the summer to be able to use it. Thinking of getting a slip and keeping it on the trailer or slip and high and dry. Does anyone have their jet boat at a marina and keep it on a jet dock? How much do jet docks cost?

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either on the trailer or Dry stack for me but plenty of people keep them on the water in fresh water.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats with the purchase. We just purchased a Limited S E-Series and will be keeping it on a lift and covered during the summer.

I think it all depends what you plan to do.

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpeg Hi mine is in wet slip up north all summer that way we are not fighting launch ramp I have had slip for 10 years I have put dog bone shock absorbers on dock lines all good. I forgot about how nice it is to get out of boat fast when bad weather comes in . Boats at home Boston Whaler in lift fish boat on dock whipsimage.jpeg

DAMATS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! We have a lake house and plan on keeping it moored or docked all summer. No lift , just gonna cover it and hope it's in the same spot we left it! Lol.. Hoping it doesn't take too much abuse from the elements. :cool:

DAMATS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 34901 Hi mine is in wet slip up north all summer that way we are not fighting launch ramp I have had slip for 10 years I have put dog bone shock absorbers on dock lines all good. I forgot about how nice it is to get out of boat fast when bad weather comes in . Boats at home Boston Whaler in lift fish boat on dock whipsView attachment 34902
Would love to have that setup:thumbsup:

Peggy L

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you! I forgot to mention...we don't have fresh water here. We have salt water where we boat and live on Long Island, NY.

I WISH we lived on or near a lake. I don't really like saltwater for a few reasons, one of which is that after being in saltwater and you dry off, you're still sticky with salt, lol. Fresh water is so much better! Lucky you guys!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Peggy L , welcome to the forum! And congrats on the boat! You don't want to keep a jetboat in salt water for more than a few days at a time. It will corrode stuff you don't want to corrode. And doing a bottom paint on a jetboat will destroy more performance that you don't want to sacrifice. Your only "on the water" choice is a lift or jet dock, in salt water. Some
Of the dry stacks or other valet services may be a good idea also. Welcome once again!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With salt water either lift it or dry dock it.

Ronald

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep mine on the lift in the slip at table rock lake.i use damp rid moisture hangers when we leave for a few week, as well as all winter. No mold or mildew whats so ever. Now if the spiders would leave it alone id be set.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dry dock mine which is to leave it on the trailer at the marina.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
EZ Dock for me!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We're in brackish water and the boat's on a lift, high and dry, when it's not moving. Have a look at some of the other boats that spend all their time in salt water (easy to see the hulls now). Yech! - and most of them can pull the drive out. We can't. (When I was shopping for a used boat, I was advised bottom paint knocks a good 10% off the value right off the bat...)20150711_151452.jpg

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I rent an uncovered slip (and just use the Yamaha cover). Even if i had to buy a new cover every year, i still would save money over the covered slips for now... (cover lasts about 3-4 years in direct sun) I will move to covered eventually though, sun im sure will still fade the gelcoat/paint in time (even waxing it multiple times)

I bought a used/refurbished Econo-Lift... works great and keep the boat out of the water

lift boat.jpg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NO QUESTION! High and dry!!! My theory is why spend all that money on a beautiful boat to skimp on how you store it???
IMG_0439.JPG

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with as many other said we are in brackish water here and I would not leave the boat in the water its going to tarnish your hull and corrode other items quickly. Bottom paint is a pain in the butt my boat has bottom paint on it and you will have to repaint it every few years and if you ever decide you want it removed and brought back to original its expensive. I thought about having it removed and the quote I got was $2500 to do so. I don't think bottom paint has affected the performance but was a concern when I was buying the boat. Top speed loaded with 8 people gear and full tank of fuel is still 46-48 mph depending on conditions and 3 people half tank of fuel it between 50-52 mph depending on conditions.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I keep my boat in fresh water six months of the year. I think my hull still looks pretty good. image.jpeg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep my boat in fresh water six months of the year. I think my hull still looks pretty good. View attachment 35052
Yes sir it does! Fresh water you could pretty much leave it in year round with no effect basically unless its some nasty fresh water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I keep mine in a slip all summer/fall and have it on an Airdock. Check out the link in my signature for details on Airdocks. I love ours. If I had more money I would have bought a Sunstream V-Lift, but for 3 times the price I couldn't justify it.