• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking lights install in a 2016 AR240 - Fall mods

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got to take advantage of 75deg weather in the middle of November, right?

Finally got to install my new docking lights! Trying to decide between Attwood and Seadog, I figured Attwoods were what Yamaha uses in Limited models, so I went with those and installed in the same location.
upload_2016-11-17_1-21-26.png

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-6522SS7-LED-Docking-Light/dp/B0074WG47K

Not too bad of an install. Went with a missile launcher for the switch, I think it looks cute :D.
upload_2016-11-17_1-26-56.pngupload_2016-11-17_1-27-15.png
upload_2016-11-17_1-27-36.pngupload_2016-11-17_1-27-55.png

Also finished the SeaDek - looks pretty good.
upload_2016-11-17_1-32-32.png

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I cant find what I'm looking for online. How big of a hole did you have to drill for this is it recessed into the hull or basically screwed on?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I cant find what I'm looking for online. How big of a hole did you have to drill for this is it recessed into the hull or basically screwed on?
Not recessed, which I liked, makes the install easy.
If you search for Attwood 6522SS7 -- should pull a bunch of pics in google.
Here is the link to what (I think) I actually bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-6522SS7-LED-Docking-Light/dp/B0074WG47K

Three small holes in the corners for SS screws (not provided), I used 3/16, and one larger in the middle for the cable.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love that switch. Just curious if it is marine rated. Want to know for down the road on a project where that would be very cool for me.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love that switch. Just curious if it is marine rated. Want to know for down the road on a project where that would be very cool for me.
Nope, not marine rated. Strait out of Advance Parts (or AutoZOne) $12 beauty, LOL, back just dipped in silicone, that's all. It is the simplest 2-way, and fused at a little bus I have under the dash.
I could swap it - that location under the dash is in plain sight and reach.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Darn it I was hoping it was. So the ingress point on toggle switches like that is where the stick like part your finger touches (actuator) connects with the base as kind of a ball and socket. Moisture/Water can actaully get inside of the switch housing and cause unpleasant things like rust or short circuits. I believe there are rubber covers made to go over the actuator and the nut that secures it to the base but I don't know how effective they are.

The standard large size plastic switches you see on most boats differ as the switch body is completely sealed and the actuator does not penetrate the switch body.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Darn it I was hoping it was. So the ingress point on toggle switches like that is where the stick like part your finger touches (actuator) connects with the base as kind of a ball and socket. Moisture/Water can actaully get inside of the switch housing and cause unpleasant things like rust or short circuits. I believe there are rubber covers made to go over the actuator and the nut that secures it to the base but I don't know how effective they are.

The standard large size plastic switches you see on most boats differ as the switch body is completely sealed and the actuator does not penetrate the switch body.
Alright, I will have to swap the switch. I know exactly what you are saying.
But I do want a dedicated, big a$$, stand alone, and easily accessible (even with gloves on) switch for my forward docking lights. I have learned in the past those things can come in real handy at times.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hve found that the effective distance on those docking lights is less than desired yet still useful. An at the ready hand held spotlight is a very high recommendation of mine for night boating. Of course don't have it constantly on but when you know your approching a hazard or there appears that something random may be in the water ahead then it comes in real handy.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hve found that the effective distance on those docking lights is less than desired yet still useful. An at the ready hand held spotlight is a very high recommendation of mine for night boating. Of course don't have it constantly on but when you know your approching a hazard or there appears that something random may be in the water ahead then it comes in real handy.
The challenge for me is to have those things (like a spotlight) handy when I actually need them!

I may go with one of those sealed Push-Pull switches.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - You may want to try this toggle boot to fit in the switch you have http://a.co/aok1Sk7 Or I really like the look of these switches which are ip67 rated and wil be easily found at night http://a.co/7fP69AN If you get the switch this is the lager 22mm size which has a pigtail available to make wiring easier.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - You may want to try this toggle boot to fit in the switch you have http://a.co/aok1Sk7 Or I really like the look of these switches which are ip67 rated and wil be easily found at night http://a.co/7fP69AN If you get the switch this is the lager 22mm size which has a pigtail available to make wiring easier.
Thank you @Mainah -- I think the second one is the winner.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - I had planned on only being on this site to keep updated on deals/group buys during the offseason but all of your work on mods has me addicted to this site again and very jealous. I wish very badly that I had not wrapped my boat already. My wife on the other hand is very happy that I did;). She however is not aware that parts for next year's mods have already started arriving and are being hidden in the rafters of the garage. :winkingthumbsup"

Keep up the great work!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I know what you mean. I'm getting deliveries anytime my wife is out of town, LOL.

My big to do item is the L13 cone, two of those actually... That is going to take some serious strategizing on my part, LOL. Not sure how I'm going to pull that one off...

--

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, now you have had time to use the docking lights what do you think? We were at St. Charles boat and motor open how last weekend. My wife fell in love with the docking lights on the 2018's, Now I need to add them. Looking at the same lights you bought

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, now you have had time to use the docking lights what do you think? We were at St. Charles boat and motor open how last weekend. My wife fell in love with the docking lights on the 2018's, Now I need to add them. Looking at the same lights you bought
Those work fine - for docking. They will not lite up the night in front of you or help guide you in the channel.
They are the same or better than the OEM used on LS/X lines.

Very helpful when coming back into docks and into the lift. I also like the fact that you will not blind and/or offend anyone using those on the approach.

--

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you add a fuse for these lights? If so, what size?

Did you use 3/16" diameter SS screws to mount these? What length did you use?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you add a fuse for these lights? If so, what size?

Did you use 3/16" diameter SS screws to mount these? What length did you use?
I'd need to check, the fuse is either 2 or 5 Amp - at the distribution block.
If I remember correctly the lights came with some (small) SS screws, 1" long?

--

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought the same lights but in black. Mine did not come with screws. I was just wondering.

Where did you tap power from?

How did you positioned these lights? Did you wire them first externally in the driveway to figure out the best placement on the boat or did you just try to match the 242 Limited S location?