• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does ANYONE Slip their Scarab in saltwater?

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Moving to a condo in The Virgin Islands with No storage for my boat trailer. I'm trying to come up with options to keep my boat out of the water 24/7 at the marina. Does anyone slip their scarab full time in Saltwater?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I would advise against this. Nothing good can come from doing this. Could you install a boat lift at your condo? This is becoming more popular.
Is there another storage facility you could store the boat and trailer? Have you talked with the neighbors and asked what they do?

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not actually moved in yet, but, from what the realtor has told me there is no parking for trailer and I will definitely ask around when I get there. I do know however there doesn't seem to be and dry-slips on that island.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Unfortunately, you may have to sell it and possibly pick something up there??? Sad, but it may not be worth the hassle. IDK, just saying.

Someone once told me, never let a piece of property hold you back.

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
which island? I have a place on St thomas

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unfortunately, you may have to sell it and possibly pick something up there??? Sad, but it may not be worth the hassle. IDK, just saying.

Someone once told me, never let a piece of property hold you back.
No way I'm selling, but I hear ya, thanks for the reply

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never made the trek over there. But i do hear there is a club that you can join over there has has onsite storage for trailer and boats. I do know they offer dry storage but its kinda pricey by foot.

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks! @Meetball I plan on doing some serious homework, but I think I'll make it work. I know "me" most likely if I don't slip my boat, I'll never use it, and I plan on running my business sitting on the deck from my laptop while I have a line in the water :)

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know the struggle90992
Thanks! @Meetball I plan on doing some serious homework, but I think I'll make it work. I know "me" most likely if I don't slip my boat, I'll never use it, and I plan on running my business sitting on the deck from my laptop while I have a line in the water :)

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My friend, I cannot wait to get out there! I spoke with one of the best marina boat painters today here in L.A. he told me, just paint the bottom black, pull it out once a month to scrub it down, and don't worry, just enjoy, and I think I'm gonna take his advice.
p.s. when I get set up out there, I am definitely down for the tour of every curve, cove and cay in and around St. Thomas and St. John! I will be ordering my 255 ID from Miami and have it shipped to St. Croix.

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My jet mechanic in Panama keeps his seadoo (with similar hardware) in salt water full time and says that it is not a problem.
On one hand, it goes against what I learned on this forum. On the other hand, this guy built his sea-doo from 3 dead sea-doos so he knows what he is doing.

Virgin Islander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@panamejet Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to think a lot of people who are VERY scared of saltwater may be the exact people who only take their boat out once a month (maybe), but I do respect and listen to all opinions on the subject, I am new to boating.

Jwood1508

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just purchased a 14 scarab 195 that was in a saltwater slip during the summers. Boat has 25 hours. The pump was pretty corroded, the entire exhaust was replaced already, & the engine had 2 cylinders down on compression from the exhaust valves rusting. The previous owner also applied antifowling paint to the bottom. I am not how they cared for it. I can just tell you the condition it was in when I received it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length