• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone still do stand-up jet skis?

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a couple of old standups for my daughter to ride. The plan is to tow them behind the boat to the sandbar and then let them mess around on them while we relax. That way we aren’t being bugged to go tow them on a tube every 15 min lol. The first one is an 87’ Kawasaki JS 440 that had been in storage for over 20 years. I spent a couple days passively working on it and got it running; it has 130 compression in both cylinders. The next one is a 92’ Kawasaki 750 sx.

Attachments

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Isn’t towing them gonna get water forced into the motor? I get my wife to ride my jet ski when I drive the boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A guy could rig up some sort of backwards "hitch" to the rear platform of the boat, and then tow them with the jets up and out of the water.

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve plumbed in a ball valve on the inlet side of the water lines. We will just have to remember to open it back up once we get to where we are going.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 550 which is the same size hull I think. They do not tow well at all. You’ll have to go painfully slow or rig something up to keep the nose up and keep it from trying to roll. I’ve used a couple of the long fenders in an emergency.

Edit: I actually have a 650 now but I’ve towed all three at least just cruising the lake and they’re all difficult.

Those 750s are my favorite. Really nice to ride. The 440 is going to be pretty squirrelly.

Last edited:

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I guess I didn’t think about how they would tow. I’ll let you know how it goes. We will be out on the Colorado river this Saturday.

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
00339EE8-B4D8-426D-AC77-32B4B09E2A0A.jpeg
My daughter and wife have been having a blast with these stand-ups. The newest one is a Kawasaki 750 sx. This is the go to” ski, it starts every time and isn’t easily flooded like the Js 440. I have yet to get up on one them lol. I might need a bigger ski at 6’4 and 275lbs.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome!

Cant wait until my little guy is old enough.

image000000.jpeg

JW5055

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Yes I was always curious if anyone rigged anything up to the stern to be able to have a smaller stand up towed or stowed.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I rode stand up jet skis for many years .. only in the surf. I had a 750sx, 08+ superjet, pre 08 superjet, WDK ROK with sxr800 motor.. And I quit some years ago when I bought the boat. I have back problems, also most of my friends have knee and back problems. If I ever get back into it, it will be the new 4 stroke superjet. Some of my friends have moved on to them and say they're not a surf ski, but they're tons of fun, and are infinitely more reliable. Exactly what I need lol You can't tow these behind the boat. Somebody has to be sitting in the tray or else it will immediately sink. But I've seen people build winches & racks that sit on the swim platform. Not sure if that's really worth the trouble

Screenshot 2023-06-13 130140.png

Screenshot 2023-06-13 130119.png

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My son just bought a 1990 "Square Nose" Superjet as a project. The sucker fires right up every time and runs strong.
He's making some improvements and hopes to be on the water soon!

IMG_3597.jpgIMG_3598.jpgIMG_3601.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do it a little differently though

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a new one, 2023 Kawisaki SX-R 160. I had to get something that I could ride. I took it out on the lake to try it out, 65 degree air temp and the water had to be in the high 50’s. Still a blast though! So glad I picked it up.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I picked up a couple of old standups for my daughter to ride. The plan is to tow them behind the boat to the sandbar and then let them mess around on them while we relax. That way we aren’t being bugged to go tow them on a tube every 15 min lol. The first one is an 87’ Kawasaki JS 440 that had been in storage for over 20 years. I spent a couple days passively working on it and got it running; it has 130 compression in both cylinders. The next one is a 92’ Kawasaki 750 sx.
If needed try Jet Ski Unlimited. A long drive across town for you but may be worth it for repairs out of your wheelhouse.