• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does your E-Series boat hold its set speed when using the speed control function?

Does your E-Series boat hold its set speed when using the speed control function?

• Total voters

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When you use the launch controls and set speed, does your boat hit the correct speed and hold it? My boat is always short of the speed I set, which when wake surfing is a pain!

Please only answer this poll is you have a Yamaha E-Series boat and are referring to the launch control and speed control system (not cruise assist).

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It holds the speed, just not the exact speed I told it! Same as everyone says, got to over compensate when setting the speed.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be a deal killer for surfing. Even the PP servo motors keep us within .1 MPH.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Our 2017 242X does show correctly either at surfing speeds. We use our tablet to know what speed we are actually going.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That would be a deal killer for surfing. Even the PP servo motors keep us within .1 MPH.
I've not had a chance to compare my new Garmin Echomap 94sv speed with the speedo speed, but I think it holds a speed for me, just not what I set it at. So if I want 10.5 mph, I set it to that and it ends up at 9 (displayed) and I have to keep pressing the + button until it gets up to the speed I want.

So now I just put in 11.5 if I want 10.5....just a pity they can't get it to work right.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I set mine to 13 or 14 mph then use the - button its off by 1-2 mph but does lock in . I had perfect pass on the 2005 this is better that had a tough time in the lower MPH as well

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not had a chance to compare my new Garmin Echomap 94sv speed with the speedo speed, but I think it holds a speed for me, just not what I set it at. So if I want 10.5 mph, I set it to that and it ends up at 9 (displayed) and I have to keep pressing the + button until it gets up to the speed I want.

So now I just put in 11.5 if I want 10.5....just a pity they can't get it to work right.
Our 2017 242X does show correctly either at surfing speeds. We use our tablet to know what speed we are actually going.
Why would you need a separate device to know how fast you are actually going? Isn't the Yamaha GPS based?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why would you need a separate device to know how fast you are actually going? Isn't the Yamaha GPS based?
Because the speed setting is in decimals and the Speedo doesn't show partial MPH. So its not as easy to tell if you are going 9.7 or 10.4 when the speed says 10, and you have it set for 11.5

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Because the speed setting is in decimals and the Speedo doesn't show partial MPH. So its not as easy to tell if you are going 9.7 or 10.4 when the speed says 10, and you have it set for 11.5
Isn't the 242X "designed" for surfing and water sports and surfing? What a miss.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
maybe we can get enough data here and "request" a patch?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I noticed this big time using the wake booster. Im not sure if its because the boat is working a lot harder with the booster vs. the wake wedge. With the wedge it seemed to hold much better, only occasionally dropping below the set speed. With the wake booster I had to hit the + to get it to be the correct speed. To be fair though I haven't compared the speedo to a seperate GPS.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So is it always the same offset or does it vary?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So is it always the same offset or does it vary?
Mine seems somewhat consistent, I think. Usually need to be around 13.x to maintain 10.5 or so. But, every run I feel like I may be tweaking a button press up or down.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It isn't to the tenth. it either says 10 or 11...... Not 10.7 or 10.9

Edit.... Seen Julian answered above.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
maybe we can get enough data here and "request" a patch?
This would be a great idea try to get a large group together with a letter of considration to have Yamaha offer an update that will at least allow the speed to read in tenths and maybe a patch for the speed issue.

If we had about a 100 people with the e versions collectively we spent over 6 million dollars with Yamaha and would like to know if something like this could be done

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Soooo......I don't have a 242XE, and I don't surf so I can't really comment on the speed control issues......I do have a somewhat related question though, and it might help with some of this mystery.

Shouldn't water speed relative to the hull be more important for wake shape/size/push than GPS speed. GPS speed will give you speed over land, and not water speed over hull. If there is ANY current in the water, your speed over water will be different than speed over land, and thus give a wake with different characteristics? I would suspect if you are controlling speed over land (GPS) to 0.1mph precision (not accuracy, an important distinction), then wouldn't any small change in current upset the whole apple cart on your wave? This is a similar situation to pilots where air speed is more important than land speed. Fluid flow over the foil surface (air over wing) is more important than speed of craft referenced to land......If this is indeed the case, then shouldn't a paddle-wheel or other water speed sensor be more appropriate for control of wake properties? Especially so if boating where there is considerable current. If this is NOT the case, and water current isn't a large player in the shape of the wake, then one could argue the 0.1 precision isn't really necessary.

Secondarily, isn't precision more important than accuracy? Assuming the system is consistent, doesn't controlling speed to 0.1mph precisely become more important than if the dash reads 11mph or 14mph (aside from the annoyance of the missing decimal place on a $80k boat)? I think that is what I'm reading, but want to make sure I understand the issues (and maybe some others) as I read along.

With those two questions asked/answered I have a couple more.

Does the 242XE have a paddlewheel sensor? If so, then is it possible that the readings that are shown during water sports speed control are water speed, not GPS speed? Could this be the reason that the accuracy is seen as incorrect when compared to another GPS based speedometer?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok I going to give my .02 and see if I can clear some stuff up. The Yamaha speed control system is great and accurate. It will hold the speed ( atleast for me ) +/- .1 which is great. The thing that is annoying is I cannot see that. Gps speed is very critical to me since we boat and surf on the river. So if I know that we have a 2 mph current and my normal setup surf speed in a lake is 10.8 then I either deduct or add for going up stream or down stream. 8.8 for up and 12.8 for down.

The 242X does not have a paddle wheel and I wouldn't want one.

I am like everyone else, when there is a load on the boat is when I start to see the drive control speed vary.

I really don't have an issue with the boat, I just know to bump up the speed to maintain what I actually want, but it would be great if it did work the way it was supposed to.