• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Doh! Surge brake reset?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man. Been towing things for just about 20 years, and can't believe I've never done this before. Parked the 242 today, unhooked, and pulled off with the truck. Err, should I say, unhooked everything except the brake cable. Didn't snap it, but judging by the discoloration on the first 3" or so sticking out of the trailer, I'm guessing the brake is locked on now. I found the little reset tab under the tongue, but it pushes up easily? Had to go drop the truck off at the dealership, so didn't try to hook it back up and move it to see. Anyone know if the master cylinder will need reset somehow? Thanks,

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember hearing that the MFI trailers needed a part replaced if the cable ever got triggered hard.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was not able to get link to work. This sounds like a part everyone should have a spare. Could be a real problem if brakes stuck on.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try the link below. It has some animation on the splash page that shows how the surge brake works. You can also buy all of the replacement parts here or completely replace the actuator. I screwed up a few seasons ago (I put the hitch pin in front of the receiver tongue instead of through it) and my trailer with boat on it separated from the tow vehicle on the freeway at around 60 mph after traveling 30 miles or more. All of the safety systems worked, that is the cables kept the boat attached to the tow vehicle and the safety chain activated the brake. In the process the emergency brake cable snapped so I had to replace it. In retrospect it would have been a lot faster / easier and therefore cheaper to replace the entire surge brake mechanism but I would not have learned nearly as much.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-A-60-Brake-Actuator-Replacement-Parts-for-Disc-Drum-brakes/

I should mention that I always press the button as instructed but don't know if it really does much since it is designed to release the tension on a small plate at the front of the the main shaft in the surge brake mechanism which will allow the shaft to travel In and out of the cylinder freely. You can check to see if your brakes are locked up when the trailer is not attached to the tow vehicle by manually pushing and pulling on the tongue. If it moves in and out your brakes are not locked up. If it is stuck in the compressed position your brakes are or maybe locked up.

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for that link, @Ronnie , the animation is nice. How much force is required to push it in and out? I tried, doesn't seem to wanna move.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is the actual service manual for the A-60. It will show how to move the actuator if it is full forward and the brakes are locked, and give good diagrams of it. It also shows how to replace the clip when the break away cable has been activated. I thought however that they made a change and that they no longer required the C-clip to hold the breakaway cable. Here is the link to the PDF manual.
http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you look at the manual, you will see that there is a pushrod in there they talk about. You can use a flat blade screw driver to force the piston backward via the pushrod and the pressure is now off and you should be able to push the reset.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It doent take much force to pull or push, I'm under 200 lbs and if I hold it from a crouching postion and lean back it usually slides out slowly but steadily.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If memory serves me correctly. I have a spare clip taped in my MFI owners manual. Maybe check yours if you have one before shopping for a new part. You know, the trailer owners manual. It's probably filed somewhere right next to ..... ;)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As luck would have it, I actually have the manual, and read it the other night. Saw nothing about it though, and no clip inside.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just looked at mine. There was actually two on there. But they were taped to the coupler manual that came with my trailer. Anyway. Here's what mine looks like, yours might be different. image.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm....not sure I have that one. I'll have to look through all my stuff again. Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I remember those clips now, they keep the cable from extending to far out of the surge brake assembly/trailer tongue. I don't know if they are really necessary though and you may be able to replace them with some tape. Just wrap it around the cable at the point you want it to stop from coming out of the surge brake assembly/tongue. It may sound a little ghetto but you may be able to do this without disassembling the surge brake. Just compress the taped area enough to fit it through the hole.