• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Don’t buy Yamaha!

Gatorman664

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I bought a brand new 2021 Yamaha 195S from Fredrick’s Outdoor in Decatur, Alabama In June of 2021. From the start I had issues with the connext gps system, it wouldn’t show speed (just 2 dashes at all times), the map stayed on the default map so I never knew where I was on the lake, and the fuel always showed 100% even after boating full speed for an hour or so. When I called yamaha it was always you have to go through dealer, when I’d call dealer it was leave it with us and we’ll check it. I did and after a week, they said it’s probably the gps puck is bad, but we’ll order and you continue to use and have fun this summer, it will be here in september. Well, it’s now January, no customer service calls from Yamaha, no calls from the dealer, even after several calls complaining to both. I read many complaints on the connext system, but thought it was isolated problems, nope! If I ever get the system fixed, I will sell the boat and never buy another product of Yamaha’s and definitely never go to the same dealer. Stay away from Yamaha and Decatur Alabama if buying a new boat!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome?

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with your dealer on your new boat.

This should be an interesting thread, especially with the existing title on a forum of mostly Yamaha owners!

1642373350840.png

Jim

Gatorman664

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Well, just like cars, some people have great experiences and some get lemons.I got a lemon, maybe a COVID boat, but it is definitely a lemon, and Yamaha could care less, and the dealer, as well. All I can say, is I will never buy another Yamaha because of this. And, believe the problems many bloggers have with the Connext system. Not a fan! I would rather of had a Lowrance or Raymarine system. If you had a great experience, I’m happy for you!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a brand new 2021 Yamaha 195S from Fredrick’s Outdoor in Decatur, Alabama In June of 2021. From the start I had issues with the connext gps system, it wouldn’t show speed (just 2 dashes at all times), the map stayed on the default map so I never knew where I was on the lake, and the fuel always showed 100% even after boating full speed for an hour or so. When I called yamaha it was always you have to go through dealer, when I’d call dealer it was leave it with us and we’ll check it. I did and after a week, they said it’s probably the gps puck is bad, but we’ll order and you continue to use and have fun this summer, it will be here in september. Well, it’s now January, no customer service calls from Yamaha, no calls from the dealer, even after several calls complaining to both. I read many complaints on the connext system, but thought it was isolated problems, nope! If I ever get the system fixed, I will sell the boat and never buy another product of Yamaha’s and definitely never go to the same dealer. Stay away from Yamaha and Decatur Alabama if buying a new boat!
Sorry about your problems you are having,
But if you dont understand the lack of parts availability in the last year due to production and component availability then you will have problems with any brand. Things do fail and it sucks but if a speedo and gps is your only issue than i would be glad you can still use it.
Hope your issues get resolved and you get what you want in the end
Good luck

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t consider one issue as a reason to swear off the entire brand. Maybe your dealer experience hasn’t been the best….but geez.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully you managed to get out on the water nonetheless.

Speed, fuel and position should all be from different sources .... did you check behind the dash and try to reseat connectors? Did you test for a bad ground? Do you have depth information?

Did you try manually moving the fuel tank sensor to see if the reading changes? Could just be a stuck float. It only takes 5 minutes to get to it.

Have you tried to see if the gps puck is available for order?

Unfortunately, commissioning a new boat is not like buying a car. There will always be small issues to resolve. These days, it's probably best for owners to try to resolve it themselves as dealers seem overwhelmed....

Try to get an email from Yamaha that they'll extend your coverage for those issues... they did for me when I couldn't travel to the dealer due to covid essential travel restrictions.

I always inspect & test rode before I pay.... dealers don't like it, but this way things get fixed before they become my problem. I had several issues fixed on the spot buying an RV which could have taken months afterwards based on their service backlog.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Speed, fuel and position should all be from different sources .... did you check behind the dash and try to reseat connectors? Did you test for a bad ground? Do you have depth information?

Did you try manually moving the fuel tank sensor to see if the reading changes? Could just be a stuck float. It only takes 5 minutes to get to it.

Have you tried to see if the gps puck is available for order?

Unfortunately, commissioning a new boat is not like buying a car. There will always be small issues to resolve. These days, it's probably best for owners to try to resolve it themselves as dealers seem overwhelmed....

Try to get an email from Yamaha that they'll extend your coverage for those issues... they did for me when I couldn't travel to the dealer due to covid essential travel restrictions.

I always inspect & test rode before I pay.... dealers don't like it, but this way things get fixed before they become my problem. I had several issues fixed on the spot buying an RV which could have taken months afterwards based on their service backlog.
Why should he have to do any of this on a new boat? It's the dealer's job to fix the boat and it's Yamaha's job to make sure the dealer fixes his boat.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
No doubt, but sometimes the fix is simple.... I had lots of loose screws found on mine during the 10 hr check. I crawled from one end to the other and stuck a flashlight in every cavity and recess. A speaker didn't work which got reconnected. I vacuumed lots of manufacturing debris which could later get caught in the bilge pump. The gas tank was slow to fill due to an incorrectly installed flapper valve.

Now I know where things are and how they work. There's a big difference between driving/buying a car vs a boat. Buy a 40 ft cruiser? It may be tied at the dealers dock for 4 to 8 weeks for their commissioning, and you'll certainly create a punch list in your first summer. If you're constantly going back to them for every little thing you won't get much time on the water.

Working in the boating industry, we had small issues with almost everything we bought from pontoon boats, Lasers even our 2 Mastercraft boats ( changed every year) to run the business!

The only boat I have had without a tool kit was a 12ft inflatable, (only carried a patch kit).

You think boats are bad for quality control? Try your luck at buying an RV....

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Gatorman664, I understand your frustration with your dealer, but I hope you did enjoy using your boat for the season! :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
It could be at the bottom of a lake or ocean. Then you definitely couldn't sell it.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get it totally on the parts back log...my bud had his boat dry docked for a LONG Time waiting to get the steering cable system (dual motors). Not sure I would write off the brand (as stated above) though. Dig into it more with Yamaha directly, skip the Dealer. When I called Yamaha on a Warranty issue it took some time on the phone but I did get through and it was a good experience. My Dealer in SoCal was also helpful. Some appear to really stink but then so do a host of other dealers in other fields. Good Luck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why should he have to do any of this on a new boat? It's the dealer's job to fix the boat and it's Yamaha's job to make sure the dealer fixes his boat.
Because they are machines with thousands of pieces and parts that are put together by humans. Sometimes a part is DOA, sometimes a human fluxed up the installation. Sometimes you just have bad luck.

Secondarily, is your goal to get on the water, or is your goal to be so adherent to the rules of whos fault it is, and whos responsibility it is to remedy the (somewhat minor) issue that you get pissed and force the issue through the dealership only to find it might have just been a poor connection you could have fixed in your driveway and saved everyone the time and hassle?!?!

If you find some cracking on the hull, or have an engine fail. Sure, swear off the brand. If you have a GPS speedometer issue that takes awhile to get fixed that's just either being petty, or looking for a reason to dislike the brand. If that small issue is all it takes to swear you off a brand, you're gonna be out of brands to buy from in really short order.....OR....you're only going to be buying from custom builders to get the service you think you deserve and wildly overpaying for the same basic capabilities. They bought a Yamaha, not a Cobalt or Bryant or Centurion. These aren't luxury boats, they're value boats. One should set ones expectations accordingly.

bks223

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ill give you $500.00 for that piece of junk right now!! Just kidding... I hope you get your Connext issues resolved, seems like a warranty issue.. They really are great boats!!!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Because they are machines with thousands of pieces and parts that are put together by humans. Sometimes a part is DOA, sometimes a human fluxed up the installation. Sometimes you just have bad luck.

Secondarily, is your goal to get on the water, or is your goal to be so adherent to the rules of whos fault it is, and whos responsibility it is to remedy the (somewhat minor) issue that you get pissed and force the issue through the dealership only to find it might have just been a poor connection you could have fixed in your driveway and saved everyone the time and hassle?!?!

If you find some cracking on the hull, or have an engine fail. Sure, swear off the brand. If you have a GPS speedometer issue that takes awhile to get fixed that's just either being petty, or looking for a reason to dislike the brand. If that small issue is all it takes to swear you off a brand, you're gonna be out of brands to buy from in really short order.....OR....you're only going to be buying from custom builders to get the service you think you deserve and wildly overpaying for the same basic capabilities. They bought a Yamaha, not a Cobalt or Bryant or Centurion. These aren't luxury boats, they're value boats. One should set ones expectations accordingly.
He took it to the dealer and they said that it was a bad GPS puck and he continued to use the boat the rest of the year. Should he have crawled around to see if there were more issues or take the word of a Yamaha dealership? They've had his boat for months and hasn't received an update from the dealer or Yamaha, so is your suggestion to go get his boat back that is still under warranty I assume and fix the problem his self? Sorry Yamaha customer service and a lot of their dealers suck. I don't care if you own a value boat or a top of the line boat, shouldn't you expect the same customer service? Also Yamaha may be considered a value boat by some people, but they aren't priced like a value boat anymore. Maybe I'm just different and expect a company to stand behind their product.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He took it to the dealer and they said that it was a bad GPS puck and he continued to use the boat the rest of the year. Should he have crawled around to see if there were more issues or take the word of a Yamaha dealership?
Trust but verify. It's an easy set of checks to look at connections with your own eyes. Voltmeters are super easy to use. A quick set of eyes on the problem might uncover something someone else missed. Why wouldn't you?

They've had his boat for months and hasn't received an update from the dealer or Yamaha, so is your suggestion to go get his boat back that is still under warranty I assume and fix the problem his self?
Yea, if I didn't hear back for MONTHS on end, and was getting shitty communication, I would have pulled the boat from them as soon as I could. There is no excuse for poor communication. Delays happen and should be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, if you aren't getting traction, why keep doing the same thing? Also, I didn't read it as the boat was sitting at the dealership for months on end, even if it was. Isn't it the off season, and wouldn't it have just been sitting in storage somewhere else? I'm not sure what the actual problem is there, aside from poor communication from the dealership and Yamaha corporate. Honestly......over a GPS puck, I wouldn't expect weekly updates. I would expect to hear NOTHING until it shows up and is ready to be installed.

Sorry Yamaha customer service and a lot of their dealers suck. I don't care if you own a value boat or a top of the line boat, shouldn't you expect the same customer service?
Nope, you certainly shouldn't. Again, setting expectations is important. If I buy a KIA and I take it in for service I don't get a loaner. If I buy an Audi, I expect the loaner, and better service. Same applies here. Same applies to my bicycle brands. I bought a value brand bike that is used. I don't expect to get the same customer service from the manufacturer as I would from a custom Ti framed bike. Why would I? What other industry works where you get top tier performance from a value brand. You get what you pay for.

Perhaps I'm lucky (while also clearly having different expectations), but my local dealer has been fair, easy to talk to, easy to work with, and generally a pleasurable experience overall anytime I have to interact with them. I have no experience calling Yamaha corporate, so I can't comment there.

Also Yamaha may be considered a value boat by some people, but they aren't priced like a value boat anymore.
What other boats are in this price range that have these spec's? It's not about what people consider a value brand, it's about where they are positioned within the industry based on price and features. You get a lot of boat for your money with a Yamaha, but you don't get a premier dealer or manufacturer network. They are simple vessels that are relatively easy to work on, so it works for them. Sure they're a lot of money to purchase. Isn't everything expensive now? Just because it costs a lot of dollars doesn't mean it's the top of the line best you can get with the best service and the best components, just means it's expensive.

Maybe I'm just different and expect a company to stand behind their product.
Aside from poor communication, what could the dealer and Yamaha have done to make this situation go any better? If they're waiting on parts they're waiting on parts, they probably don't have the buying power to push the seller to get parts any sooner than anyone else. It's not like they've broken something, or installed multiple wrong parts costing time on the water. It really appears that OP is upset that they didn't call him once a week to tell him they're still waiting for parts and give him a warm fuzzy. What expectation isn't being met here?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The OP wrote, "When I called yamaha it was always you have to go through dealer, when I’d call dealer it was leave it with us and we’ll check it. I did and after a week, they said it’s probably the gps puck is bad, but we’ll order and you continue to use and have fun this summer, it will be here in september." To me, this reads, the dealer had the boat for a week, diagnosed the problem as a bad puck, the OP picked up the boat. Aside from a week at the shop, the OP had the boat for the whole season. The dealer could absolutely have done a much better job of communicating the part status with the OP.

However, its hardly the end of the world not having a working gps or fuel gauge. The OP should have back-up navigation tools anyway. Could be a compass and paper chart and/or a tablet/phone with Navionics. Both pretty economical anyway and something a good captain has. For me, the biggest issue is a non-working fuel gauge and with the 40 gallon tank the OP should pretty easily be able to estimate fuel burn.

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The OP wrote, "When I called yamaha it was always you have to go through dealer, when I’d call dealer it was leave it with us and we’ll check it. I did and after a week, they said it’s probably the gps puck is bad, but we’ll order and you continue to use and have fun this summer, it will be here in september." To me, this reads, the dealer had the boat for a week, diagnosed the problem as a bad puck, the OP picked up the boat. Aside from a week at the shop, the OP had the boat for the whole season. The dealer could absolutely have done a much better job of communicating the part status with the OP.

However, its hardly the end of the world not having a working gps or fuel gauge. The OP should have back-up navigation tools anyway. Could be a compass and paper chart and/or a tablet/phone with Navionics. Both pretty economical anyway and something a good captain has. For me, the biggest issue is a non-working fuel gauge and with the 40 gallon tank the OP should pretty easily be able to estimate fuel burn.

Jim
Yep. In the north you do everything you can not to take a boat in during season. In good times, you will lose half a season waiting. In Covid, yikes.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I totally understand your frustration. I had similar Connext issues with my boat when it was new. The difference is that my dealer service dept gave a shit and did what it took to fix it....even though it took many trips and 2 seasons. I never had any other issues such as your fuel gage problems. That should be a fairly easy fix....connection/gage/sensor, and, again, the dealer should take care of it.

As for Yamaha customer service, you are correct....they are totally worthless! The are non responsive, act like they give a damn, but dont! The biggest problem with Yamaha Boats is their customer service, and I have written to them about it. Guess what....I never got a reply/response! They just dont care!

Supply chain issues are a fact that companies cant affect. Your puck is probably sitting in a ship somewhere of the west coast! There are many of us who have had some issues, many of us who have had none. I guarantee you can look at any brand of boat and find customers who have nightmare issues with problems and customer service.

Product wise, though I empathize with you issues, the overall question, before you ditch the entire product is.....sans the 2 issues you addressed, did the boat give you enjoyable times on the water? Did the family enjoy it? Did the performance, comfort, features, and fun factor fulfill your expectations? If all theses answers are positive, and your issues eventually get resolved, then maybe its not all bad. If these are all negative, then you should try to free yourself from that POS. I basically went the first 2 seasons with a Connext that was totally unreliable. Other than that, they were great seasons with lots of fun and family/friend outtings, on a very dependable and enjoyable boat.

Best of luck in getting your issues resolved.....

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Right now is a bad time for just about anything! My wife and I were so disappointed from our dealer as well, but this has been the perfect storm since COVID. Bottom line is we wanted a boat, we took the risk of buying used when our 2021 order was canceled. Yes, that sucks that new boat has issues, but under the circumstances we all have to be patient with what is going on. I thought about writing a bad review on the dealership, but decided against it because of what is going on. People are sick, people are out of jobs, everyone is stressed out. I agree I would not write off a brand because of this. I have a house full of Yamaha musical products, I’ve had a Yamaha motorcycle, now a boat. For the money I don’t think there is anything out there to compare to, I looked and to get more for the money you are looking at 30-40k more. I’ve had lots of problems with my 2019, but we are loving it for what it is and will continue to enjoy it. Really sorry you are having a bad experience. I would for sure sell it, because you are not going to be happy with this boat. If you are not happy with it, no need to keep it. I look with pride every time I pass our boat corral and see our boat! We love it!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gatorman664 I understand the disappointment here, but you got to chill. Boats are more like RVs rather than cars. I was waiting 7 months for an airfilter and you boat seems to be running. So have a good time until your parts arrive.

Yamaha boats has had its ups and downs, but I what you are describing is not the end the world.