• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dry Tortugas first week in may?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Weather looks like it should be pretty good I think I’m going to try and run dare. I’ll stop at on Marquests and make a decision depending on fuel and such at that point. Wanna leave fairly early in the morning and make it a one day trip there and back just to kind of get a feel for it. If it’s not flat I’m not going, if someone’s in Key West and wants to make a run with me let me know otherwise I’ll keep everyone updated. I’m going to bring the boat down from Islamorada, fueling up and probably leave very early in the morning.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It’s about 75 miles one way from Key West to Dry Tortugas.
How much gas can you hold ?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unless they recently installed a fuel station out there, seems like a hard trip to complete.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A boating permits is also required to visit the island. But fuel is the biggest concern besides the weather.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No refueling options out there, you will need to bring your own fuel. It's a long run out to the Dry Tortugas from KW.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Someone did it semi recently and posted it on FB. They brought 60 gallons or so of gas with them.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes working on the fuel issue now. Permit is no problem you get that there. It depends on weathe will see as I get closer. long trip from Islamarada to key west in itself.

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I live in KW been there twice once by sea plane once by boat, u will need at least 10 5 gallon jugs to make it back

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I do the math with 20% reserve, you would have to run in pretty decent conditions. I would agree with @leonard delia you will need to either take an additional 50 gallons, which if you do going there you would have enough to cover any issues or rough seas. Coming back with just your 50 it could get tight.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Liveto99 would know more than me since he has the experience on the ocean with this boat. Just going off of my experience and the test data I’ve see I think he will have a pretty good cushion of fuel if he is only going on a flat seas day.

@HangOutdoors, respectfully submitted. The TR-1’s are a bit more thrifty on fuel than the 1.8’s. I agree with you that it would be very tight on just the stock 52 gallons.

If memory serves, @Liveto99 was sourcing a 25? gallon tank that he was going to place under the helm seat. If that’s true, that’s 77 gallons of fuel, less 10% reserve=69.3 gallons. Best cruise is 8 gph and 27-28 mph, that’s a range of 233.8 miles. With a 20% reserve that’s a range of 207 miles. With a 30% reserve that’s a 181.9 mile range. For me that’s more than ample reserves to make that journey.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not for nothing but...could you really have a good time with this in the back of your head? I'd be nervous all day. I'm out...(Sharktank)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Awesome boat! Damn!!! I'll take 2 please...
Funny, the video did not mention cost. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it! Hec, one engine probably cost as much as our boats.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Funny, the video did not mention cost. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it! Hec, one engine probably cost as much as our boats.
You are correct...those engines are roughly $75,000 each.

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Looks like the whole package will cost you just over 2 million!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Looks like the whole package will cost you just over 2 million!
Damn!!!! Like I said if you have to ask... :eek: 🤣

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That 500 would be a better choice of boats to take.
As of now I’ll take 35 gal extra.
I’ll think about it on the way down, 1,406 mile drive down from NY to Islamarada.
I would love to hold the gas and see how little I could use. But
My thought is to get it in and fill my tank when I arrive and it is dead smooth behind a island for refilling.
I will leave early tomorrow morning and keep you informed.
After I get there I will go over the boat run it for a day to make sure it is perfect. Then wait on weather.