• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DVSR and E-Series Solar Panel Questions and answers

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was able to connect with Yamaha and get some of my questions answered around the solar panels and DVSR....here is the very helpful info:

1. Do the switches have to be in the “On” position for the solar panels to charge the batteries?
NO, the batteries will be charged by the solar panels regardless of the START & HOUSE battery switch positions.

2. Is there any maintenance for the solar panels? Cleaning them? Specific type of cleaner?
Keeping them clean & protected will mean they will last longer & charge more efficiently. Yamalube Wash & Wax Concentrate (ACC-YAMAC—WH-WX) can be used on the entire unit to wash it if it is in the driveway. On the water, use an environmentally safe boat wash to clean the boat, if dirty deck water will be discharged into the lake, river, etc.. Yamalube Glare Professional Polish (ACC-YAMAG-LA-RE) can then be used on the panels to protect against UV and grime buildup.

3. Do the solar panels run via the DVSR, so they charge one battery before the other? Which battery gets charged first?
The VSR (voltage sensing regulator) will charge the START battery first and then switch to the HOUSE battery once the START battery is fully charged. This is the case if the EMERGENCY PARALLEL switch is in the OFF position. If accidentally left in the ON position, then both batteries will essentially be charged at the same time, because the system just thinks they are a single, larger START battery.

4. If you connect a dual bank on board charger directly to the batteries what modifications must an owner make to the DVSR to ensure it doesn’t interfere with the automatic charge sensing of the on board charger?
Yamaha recommends all batteries be charged outside of the unit where they can be properly monitored in a safe location during the charging process. Charging batteries inside the units with non-genuine equipment leaves Yamaha open to legal ramifications if something goes wrong.

Question 4 is related to this thread on making the DVSR only work when the engines are on.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Todd Kyle

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi @Julian - thanks as always for your wonderful advice! Quick one for you...I have a 2017 242x with solar panels, that I THINK are working...If I out a volt meter on the wires out of the Tower, I get a positive reading on the Port side, but get zero reading on Starboard side...is this normal? Also, general question - how long should the house battery last while anchored and listening to the radio?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 0 volt reading is most likely the due to that side going to the anchor light that flips up . Turn the anchor light on then disconnect that wire to confirm .

I think item 1 is incorrect if the switch is off I’m almost positive no charge is going to the battery .

Item 4 these boats need chargers the yamaha stators and solar panel can not keep the batteries at the optimal operating voltage . The bilge pump turns on to sense for water and has a heavy parasitic draw. These boats have a few things that could have been improved but most likely they do things based on cost

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looked into this further to try and confirm what the solar panels are hooked up to . Port side plug going to panels was reading 17.8v then I probed the other side of the port plug with all switches off no voltage reading. Then I switched the house battery on nothing turned on the radio by holding down a button no voltage. Shut off the house battery turned on the start battery still 0 volt then switched the key on no reading. Unless it has some type of one way voltage flow or maybe I have a blown fuse. Looking at the battery connections both have a positive wire feeding to the switches.

If someone else can check and see what they have or know the fuse location that would be helpful to really know what’s going on

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi @Julian - thanks as always for your wonderful advice! Quick one for you...I have a 2017 242x with solar panels, that I THINK are working...If I out a volt meter on the wires out of the Tower, I get a positive reading on the Port side, but get zero reading on Starboard side...is this normal? Also, general question - how long should the house battery last while anchored and listening to the radio?
Not sure what you mean by "sides"...

How long the battery will last depends on a number of factors:
  • Battery capacity
  • Stereo configuration
  • How loud you play the music

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Todd Kyle wrote sides meaning the wires coming from the top of the tower on the port and starboard sides . If I'm not mistaken , there is a connector on each side near the bimini pivot point starboard wire runs up to the anchor light port side runs to the solar panels .

In my post I tested the port connector by the bimini the Male side read 17.8 v the female side no matter what was switched at the batteries, ignition or radio read zero . Can anyone else take a reading of the female part of the connector and see what they get . I think the solar panels are just a decoration