• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

E-Series Ribbon Delete

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Seems to be @swatski is the resident Ribbon Delete aficionado, I divert some questions...

Has anyone done the delete on the E-Series? Started to dive into it but seems a bit more complicated and than other models. Yamaha has put everything inline on the E-Series (see pics) and reduced the amount of room to remove parts. Can't even take the airbox off unless I get a wrench on the backside of the bolt in the fuel tank compartment. (the nut on the airbox just spins and spins) I realize 2 bolt on and 2 slide in the rubber grommet, but it's a PIA to get the 2 undone.

Seems like a lot of work for 200 RPM...

Any tips or suggestions??

20170811_161640.jpg 20170811_161649.jpg

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Totally worth it! 200 RPM on top but 15% more mid range and throttle response especially noticable on heavy loads or pulling tubes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't even take the airbox off unless I get a wrench on the backside of the bolt in the fuel tank compartment. (the nut on the airbox just spins and spins) I realize 2 bolt on and 2 slide in the rubber grommet, but it's a PIA to get the 2 undone.
No need to loosen those bolts - the airbox pops off the rubber grommets, snaps right back on.
The E has the same setup/parts as non-E.

I'm no longer a Yamaha fanboy, but here are some pics - always happy to help a fellow jetboater!
And - yes - totally worth taking this choker out, whether or not you put the RIVA rings.
upload_2017-8-11_19-44-13.png
upload_2017-8-11_19-44-40.png

upload_2017-8-11_19-45-11.png

upload_2017-8-11_19-45-30.png

upload_2017-8-11_19-45-53.png

upload_2017-8-11_19-46-21.png

upload_2017-8-11_19-46-41.png

And while on it, I would also rip those snorkels out of the airboxes for another 50 RPM or so. Make the engines sound a bit throatier, but not bad. No need to change the filter, IMO.
upload_2017-8-11_19-49-37.png

--

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did it on an e series. @swatski is right about just loosen the hoses an slide the air boxes out. Don't lose the gaskets and make sure they go back on correctly. It was a great mod especially if your higher elevation. The hardest part was removing the snorkels on the air box. Just pull hard and they come off. I also added the new air filters to be stay USCG approved. Holler if you need any other info or run into any problems. It's simple except my ribbons were really tight so I had to drive a screw into tnto pull it out.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still torn on this one.

Do you run without the Riva sleeves and just let the air swirl around in there?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm still torn on this one.

Do you run without the Riva sleeves and just let the air swirl around in there?
yes. i run consistently 7700~7750 rpmsno problem

the rings "may" help the air flow and may help in acceleration in various RPM range but high end limit is same with or without it

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Totally worth it! 200 RPM on top but 15% more mid range and throttle response especially noticable on heavy loads or pulling tubes.
Interesting thought but a couple of questions.

I am not that interested in3-4 MPH top end but does it affect efficiency at all? To somebody who is not a performance geek, is this worth the trouble?

I am assuming, if you had engine problems, Yamaha would say your warranty was voided by this......ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also went without the sleeves. If you can slide the ribbons out without using the screw method you could always just throw them back in for warranty if you are paranoid. As far as if it is worth it.. you are near sea level so I really am not sure if the juice will be worth the squeeze to you.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No need to loosen those bolts - the airbox pops off the rubber grommets, snaps right back on.
The E has the same setup/parts as non-E.

I'm no longer a Yamaha fanboy, but here are some pics - always happy to help a fellow jetboater!
And - yes - totally worth taking this choker out, whether or not you put the RIVA rings.
View attachment 62408
View attachment 62409

View attachment 62410

View attachment 62411

View attachment 62412

View attachment 62413

View attachment 62414

And while on it, I would also rip those snorkels out of the airboxes for another 50 RPM or so. Make the engines sound a bit throatier, but not bad. No need to change the filter, IMO.
View attachment 62415

--
Thanks @swatski I can certainly understand your loss of trust with Yamaha after your Bimini trip, and their response.

I'm a fan of the procedure just ran into a few hiccups and needed clarity. My airboxed looked as if one side was bolted on and the other had the ability to slide off. I'll give it another go later this week. Thanks!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting thought but a couple of questions.

I am not that interested in3-4 MPG top end but does it affect efficiency at all? To somebody who is not a performance geek, is this worth the trouble?

I am assuming, if you had engine problems, Yamaha would say your warranty was voided by this......ideas?

Thanks
I'm assuming you meant 3-4 MPH, which is well within the range of impacts of wind, load, water conditions, etc. I would say no from a pragmatic standpoint.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FYI: I did the ribbon delete with RIVA sleeves. And while I was getting a max of 7000 RPMs before at my lake, 1600 ft above elevation. I still only get 7350 and a max speed of 43 MPH. Thats on a dead smooth lake with cooler temperatures, 65 degrees. That was Sunday. Full tank of gas, 2 adults, 2 small kids. I feel like Im missing some RPMs and MPH somewhere, but no idea where. The last 10% of my throttle doesnt increase anything.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
FYI: I did the ribbon delete with RIVA sleeves. And while I was getting a max of 7000 RPMs before at my lake, 1600 ft above elevation. I still only get 7350 and a max speed of 43 MPH. Thats on a dead smooth lake with cooler temperatures, 65 degrees. That was Sunday. Full tank of gas, 2 adults, 2 small kids. I feel like Im missing some RPMs and MPH somewhere, but no idea where. The last 10% of my throttle doesnt increase anything.
Your signature suggests that your boat is in the water all the time? If so, there is your power drain! A dirty boat adds drag. Before I got my lift, my boat would sit in the water all the time. After a few months my top speed (SX230) would drop from 49 to 35 :eek:. Then I'd pull the boat out of the water, clean all the scum off of it, pop it back in...and voila...back up to 49mph! Reproducible every time. Here in NC my boat would grow a furry algae on it pretty quickly. Up north in IL/WI this wouldn't happen. The boat would collect dirt/grime up north, and slow it down a little, but nothing like the warm southern waters.

I also added the new air filters to be stay USCG approved.
The ribbon you are deleting is a spark arrestor. If I were to do this, I would follow Nautica's lead and be sure to add back spark arresting filters. I'd also consider the cheap insurance of a fume detector (something I think all boats should have standard)

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMG_0530.JPG My boat is actually on a lift, hull is buttery slick.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Nick Hughes Sidebar... How do you like the Cobra AK Magnums with the fangs?

@Julian Have you done the ribbon delete? If so, noticeable difference? Coming from a 2010 242 Limited I feel the 242 LSE is a bit soft on the power. Maybe it's the heavy bimini top/cage and overall added weight. Full tank, 4 adults 4 kids, drinks food etc. I was only getting 7k 7100 RPM and 43 mph. Was a bit disappointed, compared to my 2010, understanding the previous weight mentions though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat is actually on a lift, hull is buttery slick.
Then something is amiss. My 242X has a max speed of 45, but I attribute that to boat loads of stuff in the boat (pardon the pun), and the "Bat Wing" drag. That said, I rarely go full speed as the wife and kids complain its too windy!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn't be backing my boat into my slip without fins/fangs. They also help tracking down my 10 min no wake zone and not having to constantly over compensate the steering.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
For those that have gone the ribbon delete route. What flame arrester filter did you use for the mod? I have found the R&D part #200-01800. Are there any other options?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those that have gone the ribbon delete route. What flame arrester filter did you use for the mod? I have found the R&D part #200-01800. Are there any other options?
The truth is you don't really need one in fuel injected (not carburated) engines, this is an antiquated USCG rule that we (sometimes) follow. If you do - there are many ways to do it. I have switched to using stainless cones which are considered as flame arresters.
Post #22
https://jetboaters.net/threads/wakesurfing-ballast-on-swim-deck-air-intake-issue.16254/page-2

--