• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Effective and inexpensive pwc cruise control mod.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC convinced me to make this for my waverunner years ago. I offered to buy some from him but he refused, saying something like, he would not feel comfortable charging anyone for this.

Simply slide it between the the throttle arm and it’s mount when the desired speed/rpm is reached to engage “Cruise Control” and squeeze the throttle arm to release it.

My total cost was whatever the retention cord cost, probably less than $3. The wedge can be made out of just about anything. It is not a perfect solution but it does the job on long runs so that my fingers are not as sore or cramped during or after the ride. By comparison, it’s a lot less expensive than upgrading to a PWC with electronic cruise control.
AC18AA9B-AB7E-4926-BD48-FA1670B2649B.jpeg529F9097-9E06-4712-B128-6D7A7004087A.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So your saying your ready for a Bimini run???? ;)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No Bimini runs for me, I’d have to get my waverunner and self 3,000 miles away to Florida first but I have used it to ride 50 miles to Sacramento and on shorter rides as well. I just can’t afford/justify buying a new pwc with all the bells and whistles just for the bells and whistles, especially in season and particularly this “pandemic” season where everything is or seems to be so much more expensive than usual.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When I make the throttle stops " JEFF CRUISE" I cut the end off a black rubber bungee strap. Then I cut very small grooves, even using a high speed wire wheel to the 2 surfaces will create enough of a rough surface in both sides of the angled surfaces so it does not slip out of position during use, then I attach a wrist coil using a small cable tie and this is attached to the handlebars sufficiently far enough away from the throttle so as to place pressure on the wrist coil when the part is inserted under the throttle lever, the angled surface allows you to adjust it for more or less speed the tension on the wrist coil instantly pills out the throttle stop lever if you touch the throttle just a little , I usually just tap it with my index finger and the throttle stop is disengaged instantly. The importance of having the surfaces be rough is when you are showing off doing tricks like standing on the seat with your hands in the air while towing 5 people with 2 tubes in tandem you don't want the darn thing to slip out and launch you in the air. For years no one knew what those things were and now people are stealing them from my skies when I leave them unattended at the beach.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine are looking worn out so I may build new ones like yours soon. On the other hand I only use them once or twice a season and they still function correctly, besides if I make them look good they are more likely to get noticed and stolen.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Better watch it, it may be a new product for another company to sell now.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I get you'r drift LOL

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This has no impact on the function of the safety kill lanyard, correct? I’ve never had a pwc, but like to drool over our friends skis. 😀

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This has no impact on the function of the safety kill lanyard, correct? I’ve never had a pwc, but like to drool over our friends skis. 😀
Yes the kill switch stops the ski in a few seconds especially when pulling something some people just don't have a clue thank god for the ignore feature.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Better watch it, it may be a new product for another company to sell now.
I don’t want to make money off of this and don’t think Jeff does either. Plus i didn’t come up with it Jeff did. Also what would be the sales price of something like this, probably less than the cost to ship it.

I will claim credit for being the first person on the other site to custom cut hydro turf to fit on various parts of my jet boat other than to replace the cabin carpet or swim deck material. Jet boat pilot started offering kits soon afterwards, they are not cheap but they look great and requires a lot less work compared to cutting your own pieces. For context, I have a full set of seadek from jet boat pilot that cost well over $1k. If I were to cut my own pieces out of hydro turf the materials cost would be around $300 but it would not look as good as seadek because seadeck is engraved/edged differently.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t want to make money off of this and don’t think Jeff does either. Plus i didn’t come up with it Jeff did. Also what would be the sales price of something like this, probably less than the cost to ship it.

I will claim credit for being the first person on the other site to custom cut hydro turf to fit on various parts of my jet boat other than to replace the cabin carpet or swim deck material. Jet boat pilot started offering kits soon afterwards, they are not cheap but they look great and requires a lot less work compared to cutting your own pieces. For context, I have a full set of seadek from jet boat pilot that cost well over $1k. If I were to cut my own pieces out of hydro turf the materials cost would be around $300 but it would not look as good as seadek because seadeck is engraved/edged differently.
It was tongue in cheek. I think Jeff got it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What is really convenient about this simple mod is that a lot of Yamaha skies have a cruise control built in however you are required to hold The throttle in, the cruise also has up buttons and down buttons to allow you to change the speed in small increments and this mod will hold the throttle in so that all you need to do is tap the up or down button to change speed it is really good for towing tubes , cruising or pulling skiers, The nice thing about it is the wrist coil has a spring effect that will yank the lever out of the throttle as soon as you tap the throttle to release the pressure holding the lever. And YES I always have a kill switch lanyard when driving a ski regardless of what I am doing. Because if my wheelchair falls off the back of the ski with me on it I don't want to have to swim too far to get back to the ski.

anasrocks

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
PWC
What is really convenient about this simple mod is that a lot of Yamaha skies have a cruise control built in however you are required to hold The throttle in, the cruise also has up buttons and down buttons to allow you to change the speed in small increments and this mod will hold the throttle in so that all you need to do is tap the up or down button to change speed it is really good for towing tubes , cruising or pulling skiers, The nice thing about it is the wrist coil has a spring effect that will yank the lever out of the throttle as soon as you tap the throttle to release the pressure holding the lever. And YES I always have a kill switch lanyard when driving a ski regardless of what I am doing. Because if my wheelchair falls off the back of the ski with me on it I don't want to have to swim too far to get back to the ski.
Awsome mod. Would it too much trouble to upload some HD photos or maybe a YouTube video on how to make one? I have a fish pro and the cruise control is limited to 9mph.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
1653517867212.jpeg1653517912116.jpeg