• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Elderly parents

russbly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all
We have a 2007 Yamaha SX210. My mom is still able to get on and off of the boat with a little help, but my dad is almost wheel chair bound. They are both in their mid 80’s.

We wet slip our boat, we back the boat in. Does anyone have any thoughts on a way that I could get my dad into the boat? He could walk down a short ramp from the dock to the swim deck. I’m sure I could get him up the same ramp.

are there any handicap ramps out there that that would work well with our boat?

I would love to take him out on the water. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Russ

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How much does he weigh? A ramp actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Or a seat adjacent to the gunnel on the dock that he could sit and spin his legs around onto the boat. do you have a picture of your wet slip with your boat parked there. that may give us a better understanding of what's possible. I have elderly parents as well. love them dearly, much respect.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Carrying is usually the easiest in a quick situation like that if everyone can get over the minor awkwardness of it.

My mom was in a wheelchair as long as I knew her and my dad and I would carry her and her chair almost anywhere so she could experience stuff like that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We had an older member here that was wheelchair bound before he passed away. As I recall he had a ramp built from the dock to the top of the stern step /step into the cockpit. He would take the chair to the edge of the ramp and someone would help him get into and out of the captains chair.

I think carrying is the simplest and fastest solution but machismo would have me being as self reliant as possible if I was in such situation, so ramp would be the way to go for me.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder if one of those chairs that gets people in a pool would reach over the side.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If he can still walk....this might work:

1634678563921.png

Says it is a wheel chair ramp too. The key part would be ensuring you have someone to hold it or attach it to the dock??? Might scratch the seadek too?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder if one of those chairs that gets people in a pool would reach over the side.
Hoyer Lift. Might be spendy, but it might prove to be worth every cent. My wife does in-home health care, I had to ask her what the name of the thing was.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hoyer Lift. Might be spendy, but it might prove to be worth every cent. My wife does in-home health care, I had to ask her what the name of the thing was.
Not sure a Hoyer lift can swing someone that far onto a boat....great for straight lifts with some movement side to side but one that would go that far would be super crazy expensive!

russbly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
Thank you all so much for your responses. What a great community to be a part of!

When I get home this afternoon, I will take some pictures of the boat in the slip.

I looked into the Hoyer lift and I agree with @Julian that I don't think that it would get my father over to the boat. Right now a ramp looks like my best option. I'm just worried about it moving/sliding.

Thank you again,
Russ

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to suggest an aluminum motorcycle ramp, but I like the one @Julian posted due to the hand rails.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure a Hoyer lift can swing someone that far onto a boat....great for straight lifts with some movement side to side but one that would go that far would be super crazy expensive!
I'm picturing something just getting him over the side of the boat, over the windshield and onto the port side, and set/sit him down. Doesn't seem like the swing has to be that much, but I can see the more movement needed, the spendier they would get. The wife seems to think they have them, but she's spatially challenged.

She mentioned that they can be rented, and they're on wheels, so they could be rolled down onto a dock if the dock is set up for it. Not sure on rental prices, or if that's available in that area.

I think it'd be helpful to know how often dad would be going out. I agree with not spending a fortune for 2-3 times a year, but weekly...might be worth it if you can swing it.

Tgen2013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
******If your dock is private property, you could fashion a boom using 4 x 4 construction A steel boom, a swivel, and a counter lever.
This way this Bosun's chair picks him in/out of the bow to the boat. You or some other strong lad of greater mass than the papaw gently lifts up swivels to the bow and lowers/picks up.

This will work from the side, or from an end if you nose the boat in.

It is highway robbery what geriatric gear costs, use your imagination and ingenuity.

If this were advertised for elderly use it would cost 1500.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm picturing something just getting him over the side of the boat, over the windshield and onto the port side, and set/sit him down. Doesn't seem like the swing has to be that much, but I can see the more movement needed, the spendier they would get. The wife seems to think they have them, but she's spatially challenged.

She mentioned that they can be rented, and they're on wheels, so they could be rolled down onto a dock if the dock is set up for it. Not sure on rental prices, or if that's available in that area.

I think it'd be helpful to know how often dad would be going out. I agree with not spending a fortune for 2-3 times a year, but weekly...might be worth it if you can swing it.
Rental is probably the best approach....unless this is a frequent trip!