• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical gurus. (Boat electrical)

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This past fall u moved my batteries in my boat to an unused area beside the engines. I also put the batteries inside invidual battery boxes. The problem is i have a lot of stuff comeing off of the ground posts. I want to get a ground distribution block that i can attack a battery cable too so it needs to be much larger than one for the elctronics that i put behind the helm. I am haveing trouble finding one. Any help?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This past fall u moved my batteries in my boat to an unused area beside the engines. I also put the batteries inside invidual battery boxes. The problem is i have a lot of stuff comeing off of the ground posts. I want to get a ground distribution block that i can attack a battery cable too so it needs to be much larger than one for the elctronics that i put behind the helm. I am haveing trouble finding one. Any help?
Lots of different types out there from ones that mount to the battery terminal itself to ones to remote ground bars. Here is one with 3/8 studs which should fit the existing ring terminals assuming that is what you have.

Fastronix 3/8" 4 Stud Ground Distribution Block with Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078VGH8DW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_47ipCbYJYG6X2

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a previous career I installed voice/data cabling as well as the equipment and racks to accompany all that cabling. ALL of our equipment and racks had to be grounded/bonded for safety and signal integrity reasons. We used GIANT bus bars with 0 and sometimes 00 cable attaching to them, and then various gauges running off from there. Those are all probably too large for a marine application (and the wrong materials), so I don't have a good firsthand reccomendation, however changing your search terms to "bus bar" or "busbar" might help find something with more connections and capabilities.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of different types out there from ones that mount to the battery terminal itself to ones to remote ground bars. Here is one with 3/8 studs which should fit the existing ring terminals assuming that is what you have.

Fastronix 3/8" 4 Stud Ground Distribution Block with Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078VGH8DW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_47ipCbYJYG6X2
See... this is why i love this forum..

In a previous career I installed voice/data cabling as well as the equipment and racks to accompany all that cabling. ALL of our equipment and racks had to be grounded/bonded for safety and signal integrity reasons. We used GIANT bus bars with 0 and sometimes 00 cable attaching to them, and then various gauges running off from there. Those are all probably too large for a marine application (and the wrong materials), so I don't have a good firsthand reccomendation, however changing your search terms to "bus bar" or "busbar" might help find something with more connections and capabilities.
Ahhhhh. Busbar.... there we go! Txs..

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just use a bolt for the ground and attach all the wires. I use mini an distribution blocks for the positive.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would second that^^^. Easy to make and inexpensive. I made some for my ballast installed following advice here
3A73049A-A041-45F7-B64E-FEA554942727.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Common-Busbar/dp/B0091VHLW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547505524&sr=8-1&keywords=ground+busbar

I bought this and ended up not using. I'm a fan of crimp/spade connectors...as needed I have been daisy chaining these and I find it more convenient and practical than the busbar.

Using good old cable and something like these
https://www.amazon.com/AIRIC-Waterproof-Electrical-Disconnects-Disconnectors/dp/B06XCRHJQS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547505608&sr=8-4&keywords=spade+connector+female (Not exactly what I purchased but this kind is pretty standard.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do they fail for you? I crimp them with a BIG crimper and tug on them really good to confirm its all set. No solder. Have used them for years and I have not yet had one fail. I use the ones with the full plastic case around so nothing is exposed when they are well closed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
See... this is why i love this forum..

Ahhhhh. Busbar.... there we go! Txs..
Yup...a busbar is what you seek! I have one by the batteries and then buy fuse panels with them built in for distribution blocks (like one behind the helm), I typically use this style - it has 6 connection points for both positive and ground connections. Nice and neat labeling. You can see my install here, and you can see the busbar here.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup...a busbar is what you seek! I have one by the batteries and then buy fuse panels with them built in for distribution blocks (like one behind the helm), I typically use this style - it has 6 connection points for both positive and ground connections. Nice and neat labeling. You can see my install here, and you can see the busbar here.

I have that behind the helm to run all the electronics. I am looking for a large bus bar for battery cabkes to place outside the battery box and attach all the negative cables to. Like the one @Mainah showed. Thats the one i need. Ill get a pic of it this spring.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the one that @Beachbummer listed from Amazon. Works fine for me. I mounted it over in the compartment where the batteries were originally... I like that it has 2 sizes of posts so I can attach small gauge or larger gauge wires.

Then I have a larger size of @Julian 's offering for the positive side. Really makes adding circuits much easier to have them both.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have that behind the helm to run all the electronics. I am looking for a large bus bar for battery cabkes to place outside the battery box and attach all the negative cables to. Like the one @Mainah showed. Thats the one i need. Ill get a pic of it this spring.
Yup...like the one I have linked above....I mounted it right next to the batteries - then only have one main neg cable to each battery - you can see it in the left side of this pic (my battery charger has dedicated lines for Pos and Neg that I connect directly to each battery):

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes... thats it. Gonna try to cleN all that up this spring. I already have the battery box moubted and the batteries inside but once all the cables were connected it is hard to get the lid on it so this will fix that problem.