• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical loss

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hard to exactly explain this, took her out yesterday had the engine rebuilt(new rings; low compression engine wouldn't start) batteries were completely dead charged them until they hit 100% indicated on the charger. Boat fired up fine in the driveway so I took it out for about 3.5 hours. Didn't even shut them off because I was still nervous and don't fully trust her again yet.

After about 3 hours all my toggle switch were on, pump, lights, blower and radio. I happened to reset the c/b because I noticed my postitiom light wasn't illuminated and I just pushed the weather covered rubber that protects the circuit breakers( I do this periodically throughout any day just to make sure nothing has tripped) the radio died along with operations of all the other switches. Engines stayed running strong and still was getting an RPM and fuel quantity indication.

If I lost all electrical isnt my tachometer and fuel qty also tied in. I havent dug into any of my wire harness yet I'm assuming I'm grounding something out under the counsel. Just curios with all the knowledge and experience on here if there is a red flag or notable area that this issue could be narrowed down to before I go wire to wire and pin to pin.

Just an add on, my depth gauge stayed operational as well. I run a 1000watt amp and two 12" subs with four 6.5" marine infinity speakers. I assumed since I had the no wake switches engaged I might have been using more power then my alternators could re charge the batteries and the depth gauge came back on after 7-10 mins .

Got it back home washed it and rinsed the engines and they fired up no issues. So this has me a little confused. Could just be a weak cb.....

09' sx 210

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The accessory (house) circuit has a 20 amp fuse in it near the battery(s). I would guess that it has blown.

It also is possible that the house circuit is connected to a dead battery while the engines are connected to the other which still has a charge.

The gauges and key switches are powered via the engine harness. They function without house power.

What kind of batteries do you have? Most are damaged if they drop below 10.5 volts. I would suggest installing an onboard charger or finding another solution to keep them charged.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very possible and it makes sense, the only part that confused me was when I got home to rinse the motors they fired up not issues. I have a two battery system I leave them charging on a tender all the time.

However it was at the shop for about six months with no trickle charge on them so maybe they just die very quickly? I'm not sure I was baffled that they engines started as easily as they did, which is why I was so confused.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very possible and it makes sense, the only part that confused me was when I got home to rinse the motors they fired up not issues. I have a two battery system I leave them charging on a tender all the time.

However it was at the shop for about six months with no trickle charge on them so maybe they just die very quickly? I'm not sure I was baffled that they engines started as easily as they did, which is why I was so confused.

Yamaha isn't opened on mondays but I'll most likely change that fuse. You think I can pick up a standard 20 amper fuse at the hardware store?

Thank you again

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most dual battery setups have the motors connected to a "starting battery" and everything else connected to a "house" battery. If the house battery is drained the accessories will not work but you can still start the engines and run the boat.

Six months without a charger is plenty of time to kill a battery if any load remains connected to it.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most dual battery setups have the motors connected to a "starting battery" and everything else connected to a "house" battery. If the house battery is drained the accessories will not work but you can still start the engines and run the boat.

Six months without a charger is plenty of time to kill a battery if any load remains connected to it.
I set up the dual batt myself, although I had no idea they were actually separate bc I thought they were just in series together unless I utilize the selector switch to either batt 1 or batt 2 or both.

I'm not sure how I could isolate the battery's besides just trying to start the engine in either just batt 1 config or batt 2.

What do you think or is there a better way?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha isn't opened on mondays but I'll most likely change that fuse. You think I can pick up a standard 20 amper fuse at the hardware store?

Thank you again
It is a standard blade fuse. Check and see if it is blown. You likely have a spare in your vehicle fuse box. Otherwise any gas station or auto parts store will have them.

IMG_0572.PNG

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't mean to post my reply in your statement sorry about that or for anyone else who reads this

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a blown fuse thank you, still think the batteries would be worth changing?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I set up the dual batt myself, although I had no idea they were actually separate bc I thought they were just in series together unless I utilize the selector switch to either batt 1 or batt 2 or both.

I'm not sure how I could isolate the battery's besides just trying to start the engine in either just batt 1 config or batt 2.

What do you think or is there a better way?

Two 12 volt batteries in series is 24 volts. You do not want to do that.

Two 12 volt batteries in parallel is 12 volts at twice the amperage. That is that you want.

If both batteries are independently connected to the switch then they are in parallel.

To test each battery's charge level, turn the battery switch to off or select one battery, then use a multimeter to check the voltage across the battery terminals. To test the capacity pull the batteries and take them to an auto parts store.

Most likely your two engine positive and negative are connected to a single battery while your house load is connected to the battery switch.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a blown fuse thank you, still think the batteries would be worth changing?
An auto parts store can test their capacity. Or you can find out on the water.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's my current configuration as far as the batteries go

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the wisdom and help mr Bruce

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Mpalozzi
Yamaha introduced the X series 21' boats in 2008. Unfortunately they came with a Sirius unit that drained the battery after about a week. I think they had this resolved by 2009 but want to make you aware of that in case you are going to have to chase a battery drain circuit.

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mpalozzi
Yamaha introduced the X series 21' boats in 2008. Unfortunately they came with a Sirius unit that drained the battery after about a week. I think they had this resolved by 2009 but want to make you aware of that in case you are going to have to chase a battery drain circuit.
I have a 09',not familiar with x-series though. Is that just the audio deck? If that's the case I upgraded to a fushion deck a few years ago.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
oops, my bad. I thought you had a 212X.