• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electronic power steering

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Does anybody know anything about the electronic power steering on those 212 2021 and was it previously to 2021 year models and if on which ones and does it really matter? Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Electronic power steering is part of the Yamaha DRiVE system. The paddles behind the steering wheel that were exclusive to the 27' boat series and are now available on other models.
They have it on the 212 se 2012 without the paddle shifters and it’s EPS . That model has drive system which is drive by wire but not the drive which is the paddle shifters . I don’t know why they name them so closely

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They have it on the 212 se 2012 without the paddle shifters and it’s EPS . That model has drive system which is drive by wire but not the drive which is the paddle shifters . I don’t know why they name them so closely
Not sure where you are seeing that a 2012 212 has power steering. The ONLY Yamaha boats with power steering are boats with a "D" in their model names. So I'm not sure what you are referencing.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I still don't totally understand what the paddles do... is this minute changes to the power and buckets? Or just buckets? Is it one paddle per engine, or one is reverse and one is forward? Do the paddles control the actual steering of the boat or do they control the thrust/bucket position? So confused.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure where you are seeing that a 2012 212 has power steering. The ONLY Yamaha boats with power steering are boats with a "D" in their model names. So I'm not sure what you are referencing.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Compare function still has a few mistakes. I'm 99% certain that is incorrect....I'll let my Yamaha contact know. We do their free QA for them!
Thanks
Since you’re really into it should I buy a used 2019/2020 242x or a new 212Se 2021 in your opinion. Thanks

jetivan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

The end of this video by boattest.com explains how the steering throw is changed when in drive mode - which is enabled by the power steering.

To this point though that's the reason for the electronic power steering but how does it feel compared to manual steering when not engaging

The end of this video by boattest.com explains how the steering throw is changed when in drive mode - which is enabled by the power steering.

I watched the video and it helps to describe how the steering changes between DRIVE paddle mode and regular steering / throttle mode.

It doesn't describe how the electric power steering feels when under way vs regular rack and pinion or cable steering. Anyone have one of these D models that can describe it? Does it feel very light without any feedback?

WA61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Compare function still has a few mistakes. I'm 99% certain that is incorrect....I'll let my Yamaha contact know. We do their free QA for them!
Thanks
Could you also tell your contact not to have pictures of the 212SD helm on the 212SE page and to show a picture of the 1.8 motor instead of the TR-1? Showing the SD wheel with the paddles just adds to the confusion. I do IT management and I would be fired if I let this kind of stuff go to production.

shnknapp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Could you also tell your contact not to have pictures of the 212SD helm on the 212SE page and to show a picture of the 1.8 motor instead of the TR-1? Showing the SD wheel with the paddles just adds to the confusion. I do IT management and I would be fired if I let this kind of stuff go to production.
I agree the website is a bit of a mess. I'm waiting for them to release the digital 2021 model brochure so I can get some better images and descriptions. Based off the pre-release Yamaha brochure, we were about to put a deposit down on a grey 212s with the Beige interior. Right before I cut the check, the dealer did some checking and realized the 212s has grey interior no matter which color you get. Oops