• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electronics in engine compartment

C1eaner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of my friends owns a Yamaha boat. He opened my engine compartment and said it appeared I was missing a cover for the electronics. Here is a pic. Is a cover missing?43127665-59E3-4013-9EF1-C047E6D5190B.jpeg

Mtbguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just noticed that today also on my boat. It looks like a cover is missing. I can’t find it online though in parts diagrams

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One of my friends owns a Yamaha boat. He opened my engine compartment and said it appeared I was missing a cover for the electronics. Here is a pic. Is a cover missing?
It's not missing...it's simply not needed in boats because it doesn't get exposed to water splashes like they could in jetskis so Yamaha saves a few bucks by not including them. I would have preferred they include them too for a more finished look.

Mtbguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It's not missing...it's simply not needed in boats because it doesn't get exposed to water splashes like they could in jetskis so Yamaha saves a few bucks by not including them. I would have preferred they include them too for a more finished look.
Great in theory - except the boats leak and water splashes in the engine bay.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One of my friends owns a Yamaha boat. He opened my engine compartment and said it appeared I was missing a cover for the electronics. Here is a pic. Is a cover missing?View attachment 182624
I looked at this post and then my boat - no covers on that panel for either engine. It does appear there SHOULD be one. Mine's a pre-covid built boat too (November of 2019).

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So one could probably find the cover by looking up a 1.8L jet ski...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The older AR230 boats had a cover and the ignitions still had water get in them. Best thing you can do is keep the boat covered from rain storms and there is plenty of info on here about finding and fixing leaks. no water should be in the engine bilge that could splash on anything

Put one of these in hang the sensor about 2'' over the bottom of the bilge pump zip tie the siren up higher on the hoses if it rings, you will hear it and know you have an issue. They came with batteries and I just looked at the purchase history it was purchased in August of 2018 the battery finally died this season not bad for a generic battery. Very easy to test wet your finger and touch the sensor. These should be mandatory in all in board boats.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Great in theory - except the boats leak and water splashes in the engine bay.
Maybe some...mine is bone dry in the engine bay as it should be (bilge too). No boat should have water "splashes" in the engine bay.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So one could probably find the cover by looking up a 1.8L jet ski...
Yes the covers are all the same. There's an older thread on here somewhere and I think they bought covers to put on their boat ECM's. Personally I don't worry about it as the area should be dry.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The jet skis take on waves and rock back and forth like mad and water makes its way into the engine compartment. Most likely the newer boats have good seals on the electrical components otherwise members would be posting issues. The MR1 motors would have failed electrical components in that area from water damage this would hold open the fuel injector allowing gas to continually spray into the cylinder. That gas would make the oil level rise and it would have the distinct smell of gas amazing that no fuel vapors would ever accumulate and explode, that we know of. If your concerned I would take a hose and fill up the run off channel around the engine compartment and see how the water drains or runs off. Leave the boat on the trailer with the tongue jack in max height spray hose water at the back of the engine hatch to imitate heavy rain, see if any of the water makes it into the engine compartment or lands on the area with the electrical components. The drain that you can see in the picture could leak or maye not handle a large volume of water especially if the tongue is jacked up.