1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Want to buy your boat a Christmas gift? How about some Cobra Jet Steering? From now until Dec 31 Jeff is offering forum members all Cobra Jet Steering 20% off!!!!!

Please send a PM(converstation message to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC) or email jeff@cobrajetsteering.com to place orders or for questions about a particular product, please list the make, model and year of your boat " year is last 2 digits of hull number", also the state you reside in or the state you want it shipped to . Offer Not valid in combination with other offers or discounts, subject to availability of inventory. AND Free shipping in the U S A.

You can dismiss this notice (if you are a member) by clicking the "X" in the upper right>>>>>>>>>

Dismiss Notice

Engine Comm Error - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Yamaha AR190/192/195, SX190/192/195' started by aich75013, Aug 25, 2017.

1. aich75013

aich75013 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    My 2016 AR190 was having an Engine Comm Error and the tach would sweep back and forth the entire time.
    I dropped the boat off and had it looked at. Was told the speed sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. It was on back order, so I took my boat back so we could use it until it was shipped.
    We used the boat this summer. No issues other that the tach/speedometer not working, but we installed a Lowrance Hook 4 and used that for speed.
    Dropped the boat off this Tuesday and they replaced the speed sensor. No luck.
    Today they replaced the tach. Still didn't help.
    They said they took parts from a new boat to see if replacing them would fix the issue (to help diagnose the issue.)
    They are saying the boat may have been struck by lightning and that may have fried something in the computer. They are keeping the boat next week to try to diagnose further.

Thoughts?

2. aich75013

aich75013 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Update.
    Dealer was able to find the problem.
    There was some corrosion where the engine wiring harness connected to the fuse box. The dealer ended up needing to replace the engine harness, fuse box and ECM.
    Odd issue, but I thought I would update in case anyone has a similar issue and can't figure it out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jgorm

Jgorm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Struck by lightning. Lol. That translates to we have no idea what we are doing.

4. pete4180

pete4180 Active Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I can't start my AR190, engine won't turn over, on board computer won't light up. If I keep the key in engine start position the computer lights up and I get Engine Com Error. You let go the key and everything goes out. I'm getting 12V from the battery, I'll try to charge the battery and clean the terminals to see if it helps.