• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine compartment foam disintegrated

KapnKrunch

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
44EBC62B-7690-4CCC-BB21-A87FC4E62448.jpeg
99 sugar sand jet boat I bought last year. Runs well other than a bit cold blooded after sitting a while with the fuel enrichment setup. Compression is good.

I noticed after I bought it that the foam in the engine compartment was coming off. When I went to grab it the foam disintegrated to a fine powder. The entire inside of the compartment was like that with much already missing. My question is do I need to worry about the ingestion of the foam from before I cleaned it out? I know little can be done now but I wonder if anyone has had similar issues? Will it just get burned and no big deal?

Sometimes I think it would be nice if there was a pre-filter on these intakes for such a scenario.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a few cans of black Plasti-dip spray and gave mine a few heavy coats. It holds the foam together and eliminates the "dust" and particles that slough off.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was installing a SS scupper valve and adding a bilge pump in the bilge area yesterday and I had the same thing happen, it completely turned to dust when I touched it. I vacuumed it all up and I'm adding back waterproof foam insulation material. You would think Yamaha would use a material that would last longer then 3 years.