• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine overheat warning on 2015 Yamaha sx210

Jim Gibson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a starboard engine overheat warning on my Yamaha Saturday, I changed the plugs and did an oil change so I wanted to take the boat out for a few hours. We launched the boat and headed out, everything was fine for about 15 minutes when I got the warning. I looked over the side and saw that I had cooling water so i slowed down and shut the starboard engine down. We headed back to the ramp on one engine. When we got back we had to wait so i started the starboard engine and no alarm, water was pumping so we went back out. Everything was fine for about 20 minutes and the warning came back on and loss of rpm’s. Shut the engine down and went back to ramp on one engine. Pulled the boat and found a black film on the jet drives and on the transom. I checked the clean outs and there was no debris. I hooked up the flush hoses and flushed engines with no issues. I was told that the engine temperature sensor was bad but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they found. Thanks jim

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a starboard engine overheat warning on my Yamaha Saturday, I changed the plugs and did an oil change so I wanted to take the boat out for a few hours. We launched the boat and headed out, everything was fine for about 15 minutes when I got the warning. I looked over the side and saw that I had cooling water so i slowed down and shut the starboard engine down. We headed back to the ramp on one engine. When we got back we had to wait so i started the starboard engine and no alarm, water was pumping so we went back out. Everything was fine for about 20 minutes and the warning came back on and loss of rpm’s. Shut the engine down and went back to ramp on one engine. Pulled the boat and found a black film on the jet drives and on the transom. I checked the clean outs and there was no debris. I hooked up the flush hoses and flushed engines with no issues. I was told that the engine temperature sensor was bad but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they found. Thanks jim
Was the water coming out of the pissers super hot?
Was that black soot on the strbd side only or both?
Could be the ECU...?
@bronze_10

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who told you the temp sensor?

does the exhaust smell any different?
does the oil smell like fuel?

Can you run it on the hose continuously 15-20 minutes without the overheat?

I would suggest cleaning up the film, buying a infrared thermometer to check actual temps around the engine and compare one to the other to identify there is an actual problem,

Have you watched the video in the FAQ section about how the cooling water flows ?

Jim Gibson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn’t check the water temp, i just saw that both engines where pumping water. The film was all over but worse on the starboard side. I did notice that the starboard engine seamed to be running rough and the engine temp warning did come on one time while i was flushing. It was time to do a oil change so i changed the plugs also. After i did the oil change and replaced the plugs i did start the engines and let them run for a while and i did not get the warning.

Jim Gibson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone at the ramp said that he had the same issue and it was the engine temp sensor. The exhaust smells fine and i checked the oil and didn’t see or smell any contamination. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes while flushing with no warning.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the mr1 engines are very sensitive about plugs, and the black film is a indicator your either not burning all your fuel (plug) or you've got an open injector (with no other fuel smell I doubt this is the issue),

I would take it back to the water with optimism the problem is fixed but monitor your oil for correct level and fuel smell (indicators of the injector issue) and that the film doesn't return,

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was the ecu sticking an injector you would have a strong smell of gas coming from ththe exhaust and can actually see the gasoline in the water. And in my experience, Once and injector is stuck, its stuck!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A YDS read is always an option to check/test.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I honestly haven’t been keeping up with all the changes on the newer boats; but the YDS/YDIS thread on reading hours and such says you “need YDIS 2.13 for 2013 and newer boats”.

Jim Gibson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well here is an update, pulled the thermostat and flushed the engine. Took the boat out a few more times with no issues. When I brought the boat back in after the last time out I flushed the motors and the starboard motor overheated. Took the boat to the dealership and they informed me the water jackets were full of salt with some head damage. They sent pictures and I could not believe what I saw. The cost is 2,195 dollars to repair. The boat only has 39 hours and I religiously flushed motors and used salt away every time we pulled the boat out of the water. Not sure how much more you can do to keep salt from building up but I’m either going back to outboards or getting out of boating. Want everyone to be careful when buying used salt water boats. Don’t want anyone to go through what I had to.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you show us the pictures?

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well here is an update, pulled the thermostat and flushed the engine. Took the boat out a few more times with no issues. When I brought the boat back in after the last time out I flushed the motors and the starboard motor overheated. Took the boat to the dealership and they informed me the water jackets were full of salt with some head damage. They sent pictures and I could not believe what I saw. The cost is 2,195 dollars to repair. The boat only has 39 hours and I religiously flushed motors and used salt away every time we pulled the boat out of the water. Not sure how much more you can do to keep salt from building up but I’m either going back to outboards or getting out of boating. Want everyone to be careful when buying used salt water boats. Don’t want anyone to go through what I had to.
So did you own the boat since new?
Lots of members on here with way more hours on strictly salt use and they haven’t had a problems. I personally only boat in fresh water. I’m not taking a dig at you, just looking for a little more info, if purchased used, how many hours where on it when you bought it?

Jim Gibson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the boat used, did a sea trial and survey. I’ve boated in fresh water my whole life and took the extra steps because it was a salt water boat. Boat had 28 hours when purchased.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Likely the previous owners neglect when it came to flushing that lead to the clogging of the water jackets. Sorry for your loss bud, I’m sure some will chime in with options and alternatives to help save you some money.

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish I had that problem right now. 6” of snow instead.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in Salt Water too. Flushing engine with Saly Away after each outing. 40hours since I bought my ar240 and so far no issue.
A friend of mine (reason I bought a Yamaha) is boating in the same salt water with his AR195 for now 3 or 4 seasons I can’t remember and I know for a fact he is not flushing his engine at all. Never. So far (not sure for how long of course) no problem. He purchased his boat new and has 150hours on his single engine. I know LI Sound is not as “salty” as the real ocean -at least where we are boating- so not sure if this only can make a difference.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey not my boat! My boat is religiously flushed with Salt Away after every outing. I even did it three day in a row (without boating) as part of my winterization process to make sure there was no salt left inside for winter storage.