• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine problem

Eagles@1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2016 Scarab 165 H.O with 12 hours. Everything worked a+ until this weekend (now at 22 hours) when I experienced power lost and eventual stall on the river. Engine starts but stalls after 30-40 seconds. I removed the spark plugs once I was managed to get recovered from the water and the middle of the 3 plugs was darker. I then replaced the 3 spark plugs, checked that the gaps on the new DCPR8E plugs were within brp specification (measured 0.30) and still no go. I'm thinking maybe the coil on the center cylinder plug that was darker is faulty but I don't know how to check if that is the issue other than seeing if the plug sparks when the engine cranks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Air filter / air intake: clean? (dirt, rat nests, etc...)

Does it have a fuel filter / strainer?

How old is the fuel? Was all the old fuel purged and the fuel tank visually checked for contaminants?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
No codes on your dash at all? Typically, faulty cylinders or this type of stalling would cause a fault code. If you have a check engine light (NOT the wrench, the engine light) on, you should be able to navigate in the settings to find the active code. I'd start there.

But yes, fuel could be an issue since you don't know how long it was in storage for... I'll ask because we don't know the history, but how's the battery? It's important to have a solid battery. @marcham fuel filter is non replaceable, built into the fuel sender. There is no need to replace it.

Check all your hoses and make sure they are all installed correctly.

2016 and only 12 hours really could point to fuel and possibly the supercharger. Superchargers need to be rebuilt (these days, replaced with the new, maintenance free versions) every 200 hours OR 2 years. Has it ever been rebuilt? Do you know the history of it?

Unrelated, but you should definitely have a look at the coolant level and how old is that coolant. I'd also pull the pump and inspect it and regrease the nose cone appropriately. Inspect and possibly replace the two o rings in there. Point is, the boat has had very little use considering its age. I strongly recommend a full inspection to be able to then reliable use it. I can help guide you on these. PM me for a faster back and forth. Log into Facebook if you have Facebook Messenger.

Eagles@1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Air filter / air intake: clean? (dirt, rat nests, etc...)

Does it have a fuel filter / strainer?

How old is the fuel? Was all the old fuel purged and the fuel tank visually checked for contaminants?
Everything looks clean and boat passed inspection at 12 hour when I took ownership. Fuel is presumably good. It is my 6 or 7th fill up since getting it in May. Thank you.

Eagles@1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No codes on your dash at all? Typically, faulty cylinders or this type of stalling would cause a fault code. If you have a check engine light (NOT the wrench, the engine light) on, you should be able to navigate in the settings to find the active code. I'd start there.

But yes, fuel could be an issue since you don't know how long it was in storage for... I'll ask because we don't know the history, but how's the battery? It's important to have a solid battery. @marcham fuel filter is non replaceable, built into the fuel sender. There is no need to replace it.

Check all your hoses and make sure they are all installed correctly.

2016 and only 12 hours really could point to fuel and possibly the supercharger. Superchargers need to be rebuilt (these days, replaced with the new, maintenance free versions) every 200 hours OR 2 years. Has it ever been rebuilt? Do you know the history of it?

Unrelated, but you should definitely have a look at the coolant level and how old is that coolant. I'd also pull the pump and inspect it and regrease the nose cone appropriately. Inspect and possibly replace the two o rings in there. Point is, the boat has had very little use considering its age. I strongly recommend a full inspection to be able to then reliable use it. I can help guide you on these. PM me for a faster back and forth. Log into Facebook if you have Facebook Messenger.
Ok will do thanks 👍

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you may have a connection issue with your Mass air flow sensor, or it may loose.

1. Check MAF and connection
2. Check spark on coil pack
3. Check your intercooler hoses for leaks
4. Look under the boat through the intake grate with a flashlight. See if the impeller looks good, and your wear ring is good.
5. Make sure your exhaust is flowing water and fumes correctly.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I recently purchased a 2016 Scarab 165 H.O with 12 hours. Everything worked a+ until this weekend (now at 22 hours) when I experienced power lost and eventual stall on the river. Engine starts but stalls after 30-40 seconds. I removed the spark plugs once I was managed to get recovered from the water and the middle of the 3 plugs was darker. I then replaced the 3 spark plugs, checked that the gaps on the new DCPR8E plugs were within brp specification (measured 0.30) and still no go. I'm thinking maybe the coil on the center cylinder plug that was darker is faulty but I don't know how to check if that is the issue other than seeing if the plug sparks when the engine cranks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You probably typo'd, but ( .030 ) should be your gap.

Manual Spec calls for:
NGK DCPR8E
0.7 to 0.8 (.028 - .031)

Last edited:

Eagles@1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like you may have a connection issue with your Mass air flow sensor, or it may loose.

1. Check MAF and connection
2. Check spark on coil pack
3. Check your intercooler hoses for leaks
4. Look under the boat through the intake grate with a flashlight. See if the impeller looks good, and your wear ring is good.
5. Make sure your exhaust is flowing water and fumes correctly.
Awesome thanks so much I'll get on all of this. What would be the probability of an engine failure. Coolant level is good now but the bottle was empty when I took delivery, dealer said that it was emptied for storage(never heard of this in my life especially where we live) oil and filter was done at storage time by a dealer, level good. No check engine or overheating warnings leading up to engine stalling.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rotax powered jet boat do not need to winterize, or drain any fluids for storage unless they will be stored for more than a year. Then all you have to do is run a mixture of coolant/water while you flush the engine out. This puts a nice film in your exhaust system. If they fogged the engine, that may be the reason you are having the issues. Fogging the rotax will likely damage the sensors. The dealer looks like it has no clue on what it doing.

I doubt you have engine failure with that many hours. The power plant is bulletproof unless it is abused.

Awesome thanks so much I'll get on all of this. What would be the probability of an engine failure. Coolant level is good now but the bottle was empty when I took delivery, dealer said that it was emptied for storage(never heard of this in my life especially where we live) oil and filter was done at storage time by a dealer, level good. No check engine or overheating warnings leading up to engine stalling.

Barry165G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Rotax powered jet boat do not need to winterize, or drain any fluids for storage unless they will be stored for more than a year. Then all you have to do is run a mixture of coolant/water while you flush the engine out. This puts a nice film in your exhaust system. If they fogged the engine, that may be the reason you are having the issues. Fogging the rotax will likely damage the sensors. The dealer looks like it has no clue on what it doing.

I doubt you have engine failure with that many hours. The power plant is bulletproof unless it is abused.
glad i found your article, i fog my seadoo sportster 2005 every year winterization, because i m living in New York, cold up here. i used to leave in from Nov to next year april, like what you said is no need to fog the engine? or it will destroy the sensor? do you have more detail about it? i used to use seadoo storage oil spray in the 3 injectors hold 5 seconds each hole.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Are you sure you have gasoline in the tank? I've seen guy relying on the fuel level on the gauge & get surprised by the engine stalling, then spending lots of time troubleshooting for something that simple ... I'm one of them.

Eagles@1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you sure you have gasoline in the tank? I've seen guy relying on the fuel level on the gauge & get surprised by the engine stalling, then spending lots of time troubleshooting for something that simple ... I'm one of them.
Yep it was my problem! It took me some time to figure this one out but did😁I'm one of those people also thanks