• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Question

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HI everyone, its been some time since I have been on the forum and just as long to actually be on the boat. I was struck by a car and had some injuries that kept me from boating.

I am finally going back on the boat and took her out of storage to get her ready for a VERY short season. The starboard engine starts and runs just fine the Port side has a difficult start and runs rough on idle. When I bump the RMP's, she runs smooth. I changed the plugs and same thing. It appears the RPMS of both engines are near the same range at idle. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nick

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your accident and good to see you are getting back up and around. For the boat, how was the fuel treated as it sat and was it a full tank? I think you could start by running some good injector cleaner, filling up with fresh fuel, and treating the fuel with Stabil

I would also check the oil and air filter to make sure the oil has not been overfilled

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you back,
I agree with 4x15
Run get some fresh fuel and some injector cleaner for tge next tank or two
It's a good reason for sone long high speed runs
Be sure to monitor your cooling indicator lines on the side of the boat

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I bought fuel system cleaner. I will be testing her out today. Fingers crossed.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, running the engine cleared it up. She runs like new again. However, if it is not one thing, it is another. Now the steering is tight as hell. Get a loud rubbing when I turn the wheel.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both in and out of the water?
It's probably the cables but you can disconnect at the buckets to help troubleshoot it, it's easy to disconnect
Also stick your head behind helm and watch gear work the cables
We have a couple good posts in faq about it

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both in and out of the water?
It's probably the cables but you can disconnect at the buckets to help troubleshoot it, it's easy to disconnect
Also stick your head behind helm and watch gear work the cables
We have a couple good posts in faq about it
Yeah I was just looking through the various threads. There is a lot of noise at the bucket like internal rubbing. Might have to replace the cable.