• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Smoking During Flushing

EdAR230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone. I have a 2008 AR230. Took the boat out yesterday. Ran great. No issues. Upon return, after getting it on the trailer, on the drive home the skies opened up for one hell of a thunderstorm. Ran through some deep puddles. After it stopped raining, I flushed the engines. Starboard engine flushed normally. But the port engine (which is still a new SBT rebuild) smoked while flushing. I could smell fuel or oil a bit. The smoke was white, almost like steam. No overheat lights on the dash. After a minute or so it dissipated. Again, no overheat lights, nothing weird going on in the engine compartment (no leaking oil etc). So I finished the flushing procedure.

Is this normal? I've never seen it do that over the last year I've had it. Is it possible to have some water on the exhaust or something and that was steam? But then why did it smell? Curious if any of you fine folks have experienced anything similar. Thoughts?

Thank you for reading.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@EdAR230 I have had this occur on my SX230 and 242LS. I am not one of the astute mechanical jetboaters, but water can get into the clean out hatch and then seep on to the hot exhaust. If you are sure there are no coolant hose clamps loose/disconnected it might be that the sealant on the clean out hatch bottom tray is not 100% water tight and the water in the hatch area is seeping/dripping on the hot exhaust/muffler as you are doing the flush procedure. This is what has occurred to me on a couple of occasions ... a plume of steam that freaks you out and causes repair dollar signs to dance in your head.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where was it smoking?
in the engine compartment
out the pee hole
out the exhaust (near the jet nozzle)

We had a member bronze10 get caught in a big storm that dumped water from an overhang directly into his boat at the walk-thru and water made it's way into his ECU box,
I'd be cautiously concerned and would probably check yours, was there water in your engine bay when you were flushing?

EdAR230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh that's definitely a possibility. It was perfectly clear when I left the launch. Had my bimini top tied down so when it hit hard with the rain, that definitely could have happened. I mean this rain was crazy. There wasn't any water in the engine bay. But I had the drain plug out while trailering home. But if water did get in the ECU box, wouldn't the right engine be smoking too or could it affect just one engine?

where was it smoking?
in the engine compartment
out the pee hole
out the exhaust (near the jet nozzle)

We had a member bronze10 get caught in a big storm that dumped water from an overhang directly into his boat at the walk-thru and water made it's way into his ECU box,
I'd be cautiously concerned and would probably check yours, was there water in your engine bay when you were flushing?

EdAR230

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@EdAR230 I have had this occur on my SX230 and 242LS. I am not one of the astute mechanical jetboaters, but water can get into the clean out hatch and then seep on to the hot exhaust. If you are sure there are no coolant hose clamps loose/disconnected it might be that the sealant on the clean out hatch bottom tray is not 100% water tight and the water in the hatch area is seeping/dripping on the hot exhaust/muffler as you are doing the flush procedure. This is what has occurred to me on a couple of occasions ... a plume of steam that freaks you out and causes repair dollar signs to dance in your head.
Thanks so much for replying. I'm definitely not mechanical either. But I think you make a lot of sense here. In this case, the smoke (or steam) was coming directly from under the clean out hatch. I don't think there are coolant clamps loose. I'll double check them (if I can find them - HA). Those repair dollar signs were floating all around me.