• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stop and restart...

asevie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First 2 days of use have been a blast, we went from an AR210 (2007) to an AR240 (2016). Right off the bat one of the things I do not like about the Connext screen and start up is that when you turn the engines off you have to wait for the startup sequence and tach sweep before restarting, when we're out tubing or boarding I try to minimize start/stop cycles but sometimes you just have to cut the engines and I'd rather not use the keys and shut off the Connext system either. Do we have to wait every time we stop the motors for this? I was thinking about using the engine cutoff switch to cut the engines then I can simply turn the keys to start again, but I can't imagine that's a great long term solution either. What do you folks do?

The next thing, love the power in this, it's much more than we're used to but in a good way. I've noticed when I slowly and smoothly add power from idle we get a brief shudder/vibration from the engines, I can feel it under the feet and thru the throttles, it feels like it's associated with the water intakes and not like it's a problem, just bigger engines getting the water moving thru to propel the boat. Is this a common thing in larger jet boats? I have nothing to compare it to, the AR210 was our first boat so, of course, I became familiar with its intricacies and this is new.

Last thing, so far, the boat feels like it is port heavy, the boat is always leaning to the left and always turns to the left, I have to constantly hold right pressure on the steering wheel to go straight. I've moved people around, we're evenly balanced but we're always leaning to the left. We took a long cruise this morning so I got to fine tune cruising but I have to have one hand on the wheel with slight pressure and one hand on the throttles because they always work themselves down to a lower rpm. I figured the articulating keel could use a slight adjustment and I was happy to see it had threaded bolts allowing for adjustment, is this a common issue until the boat is 'aligned' so to speak? How about the throttles walking back? I was used to it in the 210 but once they stabilized the 210 stayed at the same rpm, these drift down anywhere in the 5000-6000 rpm range, faster rpms don't seem to be affected as much. The boat will just get slower and slower and the rpms drift down. Any ideas?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When restarting my engines I just turn the keys. I don't wait for the tachs or screen and they fire right up. As far as the port side listing I think it's a common issue. Others have noted it also. I notice mine listing slightly to port when at anchor. I think it's just the extra wight of the batteries, fuel filler lines, evap canister and the extra weight of the head compartment plus the stuff you store in there. But that's just my guess.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First 2 days of use have been a blast, we went from an AR210 (2007) to an AR240 (2016). Right off the bat one of the things I do not like about the Connext screen and start up is that when you turn the engines off you have to wait for the startup sequence and tach sweep before restarting, when we're out tubing or boarding I try to minimize start/stop cycles but sometimes you just have to cut the engines and I'd rather not use the keys and shut off the Connext system either. Do we have to wait every time we stop the motors for this? I was thinking about using the engine cutoff switch to cut the engines then I can simply turn the keys to start again, but I can't imagine that's a great long term solution either. What do you folks do?

The next thing, love the power in this, it's much more than we're used to but in a good way. I've noticed when I slowly and smoothly add power from idle we get a brief shudder/vibration from the engines, I can feel it under the feet and thru the throttles, it feels like it's associated with the water intakes and not like it's a problem, just bigger engines getting the water moving thru to propel the boat. Is this a common thing in larger jet boats? I have nothing to compare it to, the AR210 was our first boat so, of course, I became familiar with its intricacies and this is new.

Last thing, so far, the boat feels like it is port heavy, the boat is always leaning to the left and always turns to the left, I have to constantly hold right pressure on the steering wheel to go straight. I've moved people around, we're evenly balanced but we're always leaning to the left. We took a long cruise this morning so I got to fine tune cruising but I have to have one hand on the wheel with slight pressure and one hand on the throttles because they always work themselves down to a lower rpm. I figured the articulating keel could use a slight adjustment and I was happy to see it had threaded bolts allowing for adjustment, is this a common issue until the boat is 'aligned' so to speak? How about the throttles walking back? I was used to it in the 210 but once they stabilized the 210 stayed at the same rpm, these drift down anywhere in the 5000-6000 rpm range, faster rpms don't seem to be affected as much. The boat will just get slower and slower and the rpms drift down. Any ideas?
Turn one engine off at the time, and turn the first engine's key back into "on" before turning off the second. That way the Connext stays "on" and everything is "primed" for a restart at anytime later.
Like @subysti said, you do not need to wait for the Connext startup sequence to complete in order to start the engines, just crank them, the Connext will catch up.

BTW - Sys button - press and hold - will activate Connext without starting the engines with keys.

The vibration - sounds like you may have something stuck in the pump. Is it both engines giving vibrations at certain RPM? If you keep one at idle and power up the other - do you still have the vibration at those specific RPM?

Leaning to the left may be corrected by realigning the steering nozzles and the articulating keel - like you already figured. Keep in mind though, these new boats have both impellers pitched the same (unlike those in your old twin) which means that if everything else is aligned perfectly the boat will steer to the left - due to uneven loading of the two pumps. Ideally, the port impeller should be pitched more aggressively (than strbd) to compensate for less efficient loading but Yamaha stopped doing that.

If I were you I would consider @Cobra Jet Steering LLC AK system and add the second steering bar. I have that installed and factory impellers (untouched), with some very minimal adjustments of the steering bars. I can take my hands off the steering wheel at any speed and go completely strait, conditions permitting of course. (I would get the EZ locks, too, while on it).

--

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another way to keep connext from shutting off during stop and restarts is to leave the blower on. When it is on, the screen and radio stay activated. Will do the same as swatski's key method above.

I also "fight" with the steering issue slightly. I have the AK system from cobra jet steering and like it but I installed it before I really used the bought so cant compare to stock performance. Ive checked my measurements several times and everything is as perfect as it can get so it must just be due to the impellers.

asevie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info so far! I've been cycling the engines off one at a time, that's what I was looking for and the blower trick has been used as well. Just found out the boat has the extended Yes warranty so everything is covered for 3 more years and no deductible should any of the other issues prove to be more than just a simple fix. Thanks all!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I shut a single engine off, then back to 'on' position (while 2nd engine is still running) like Swatski suggested, so the music is seamless. Also, my AR240 also lists-port, even while at anchor. I just figured it's from the three monster batteries I installed. But for the most part she will steer straight when underway, unless a crosswind catches her.

asevie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stop/start trick is just what I was looking for, it works great. I couldn't wait though for a possible September deal on SeaDek, had to do this...

Attachments

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stop/start trick is just what I was looking for, it works great. I couldn't wait though for a possible September deal on SeaDek, had to do this...
I did the same thing with the SeaDek. So much better than the carpet, on many levels.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Won't leaving the key in the run position keep the fuel pump running?