• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won't start

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey. I have an issue and I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. I'll give you the whole run down.

First off, the batteries in the boat weren't charged over "winter" (Northwest Florida) or before taking the boat out this year. We were at the beach for about 6-8 hours then decided to head home because the water was getting rough. We were anchored off and taking on a lot of water over the bow, so we pulled anchor and the engines wouldn't fire up. I assumed it was a dead battery. The boat got beached and finally towed a little ways toward the bay when I tried to fire up the motors and they started just fine. I ran the bilge pump for a long time until no more water was coming out and we were underway, but then the left engine warning light came on. I cruised the rest of the way toward the boat launch, maybe 2-3 miles or so, when both engines shut off and would not start.

After getting the boat home I pulled the spark plugs and tried to fire the motors to see if there was water in there and nothing came out. Also charged the batteries and put them back in today. I tried again today and the right engine started up without any issue, but the left still won't start. Oil levels are fine, fuses in the back are fine, spark plugs seemed fine, and the batteries are sounding a lot better. Any ideas that I can try without taking the boat to mechanic?

Thanks!

Trent

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long have you owned your boat?
when you say the engines won't start does it
1. turn the key and no sound at all
2. turn the key and the starter clicks
3. turn the key and it cranks but won't run
4. turn the key and it cranks, runs but won't stay running

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had the boat for about a year now. The engine will crank just fine but will not run.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like the lanyard. Try to cycle the switch a couple times. If that doesn't work, you can jump the switch out to diagnose.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @ElRowlando welcome aboard. sorry to hear about your issues. You're describing a few possible scenarios. When you say that while on the water, it wouldn't start and you assumed dead batteries. Was that because they wouldn't crank at all? Or has it cranked ok the entire time, but the engines just wouldn't fire up?

A few things that you should do regardless of the cause. Change the spark plugs and have the batteries tested. Other than that, you could have a bad switch somewhere. Possibly a cleanout switch, lanyard, neutral safety switch or ignition switch. These can all be checked with Yamaha Diagnostic Software (YDS) if you or a friend nearby have it. Or you can easily isolate a bad switch by simply swapping electrical connections (without removing the switch) from one engine to the other and see if the problem moves over to the other engine or stays the same.

Anyway, good luck with the diagnosis and keep us posted.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were anchored off and taking on a lot of water over the bow, so we pulled anchor and the engines wouldn't fire up. I assumed it was a dead battery. The boat got beached and finally towed a little ways toward the bay when I tried to fire up the motors and they started just fine.
Trent
I wonder since at one point neither engine would run if it's not more a fuel issue?

Did you put any fuel stabilizer in it over the winter?
did you store it with a full, empty or half tank of fuel?
did you fill it up before you went out?

It could be one of the filters is clogged or has some bad fuel in it,

Also wondering in the quote above you said at that point you thought it was a dead battery. At that point were the engines not cranking or just cranking slow?

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You say you towed a ways. Did someone tow you and if so, did you clamp off the intake cooling (water) lines while under tow?

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so I checked the hatch switches and swapped them around and that didn't fix anything. I also switched around the ignitions and that didn't work either. I was thinking dead batteries because it was cranking slow but electronics were still working. I can't seem to get at the lanyard switch. Removed the cup holder but I can't pull it far enough out to disconnect anything.

I did not put any fuel stabilizer in it and it was probably half a tank or so over the winter. I put about 20 gallons in at the first outing this year.

While being towed I did not pinch the water lines off as I wasn't aware that you needed to do that. We weren't going fast but probably faster than we should have.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, you need to pinch off the lines for each motor that is not running while being towed. You might be okay but water could be an issue at this point. If it is water, you will want to get this running immediately. You said you didn't see water in the engine cylinders and you can also check the oil to see if you there is any "milk". Change the oil regardless when this is figured out or you could do that now and plan to do it again shortly as a precaution

You want to check for spark and fuel. For spark, you can use a spark tester that plugs into the plug wire. For fuel, you could try to squirt some starter fluid into each of the cylinders of the non starting engine and see if you get any different results.

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I checked the oil and everything seems to be normal there. Unfortunately I have no clue what I'm doing so I'm going to drop it off at a mechanic tomorrow and he will look at it next week. Thanks for all of the advice and I'll report back once I figure out what the issue is.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have the batteries checked. Sounds like they were initially low on voltage and the engines cranked slowly. If they fired up while towing, it could be because water flowing through the pump would make it easier for the impeller to turn. Also, on the trailer it would be easier for the pump to turn. So it's quite possible that the batteries are weak.

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I just got a call from the shop. They told me that neither engine would start, which I thought was weird since I had the other engine started the other day. Anyway, they told me that I have zero fuel pressure coming in and that it appears that there is water in the fuel tank. He seems to think that I need 2 new fuel pumps, but had no way of knowing for sure since he has to remove the fuel tank hatch in order to find out for sure. The problem with that is that some of the bolt holding the hatch down are spinning free and some are going to need to be drilled out. I'm going to pick up the boat today as I don't have the money to have them repair the fuel pumps, and i'm going to attempt to remove the hatch myself. I've seen some other forum posts about this and it's not looking like it's going to be very much fun.

Has anyone had any experience removing the hatch and/or replacing the fuel pumps?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if I necessarily agree with them but it's certainly a possibility,

here is a link from our FAQ about the deck cover, not to difficult, but you need a #4 Roberson, I think another member had a couple he was selling if you can find the thread,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-remove-the-floor-to-access-the-fuel-tank-07-09-yamaha-boats.119/

We had a member that pumped out his tank twice because of water and had a good thread about it but I can't find it at the moment to attach,

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if @Scottintexas was referring to me, but I did have lots of issues last year with bad fuel and engines not running. I did have to empty my fuel tanks completely a couple of times due to phase separation (google it). I ended up putting in two fuel/water separators. But that isn't the point I came here to make: you can test the fuel pumps yourself using YDS software and cables. I used the cables to activate my pumps a number of times to pump out the gunk in the tank. That will give you a quick and easy test to see if your pumps are in fact working.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I just got a call from the shop. They told me that neither engine would start, which I thought was weird since I had the other engine started the other day. Anyway, they told me that I have zero fuel pressure coming in and that it appears that there is water in the fuel tank. He seems to think that I need 2 new fuel pumps, but had no way of knowing for sure since he has to remove the fuel tank hatch in order to find out for sure. The problem with that is that some of the bolt holding the hatch down are spinning free and some are going to need to be drilled out. I'm going to pick up the boat today as I don't have the money to have them repair the fuel pumps, and i'm going to attempt to remove the hatch myself. I've seen some other forum posts about this and it's not looking like it's going to be very much fun.

Has anyone had any experience removing the hatch and/or replacing the fuel pumps?
So they're telling you BOTH fuel pumps failed? I would go along with the possibility that both filter screens are blocked but not two failed pumps. Even if they are correct, and I doubt it, it'll be a lot cheaper doing it yourself.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, I too have a problem believing both fuel pumps went out at the same time.

I've pulled my floor hatch and had issues with the bolts. Had to drill the tops off 8 of them I believe.

You said you're in Northwest Florida. Which part and how close to Destin? I can suggest a reliable Mechanic I used. He's got YDS Cable and very experienced. Also have the card to a certified Mechanic that will come to you, if you're not to far away. Let me know

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a few #4 bits. Let me if you need one. I also see an issue with two pumps bad after they started. Maybe clogged or something since you have ran the motor since the event.

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, sorry I haven't posted in a little bit but I just got the time to really get in there and figure out what was going on. I'll give you a brief rundown. @ToddW850 I'm in Panama City, so i'll gladly take the name of your mechanic. Anyway, so I had to drill the tops off of 10 of the bolts on the hatch cover. Now I have the stems still in the inserts but I'm hoping I can crank them out with some vice grips. I pulled the deck off and tried to start the motors. Both fuel pumps kicked in, however no fuel was coming out. I undid the fuel line at the motor and nothing. So I figure it's the pump. I pull the pump out of the fuel tank and....(drum rollllllll)...the poor thing was out of gas. I didn't think twice about this because my gauge was reading just above half a tank and I didn't take it very far last time out so I didn't think anything of it. I reconnected everything, added a few gallons of gas that I had lying around and she fired right up. Now all I have to do is get the bolts out and get a new sending unit and i'll be ready to roll for 4th of July weekend!

Also I'm going to create a new login on this forum because I love the information, but i'm sure i'll be the laughing stock for a while! Thank you all so much for your help and your advice throughout this embarrassing ordeal!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that does make me laugh, keep it simple to begin with,

you might want to look at the FAQ for a new fuel sender, our models sender is very accurate, it's definitely been a relief for me to be able to finally trust my gauge,