• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engines won’t start, please help

mbjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all,

I just bought my first jet boat yesterday, it is a 2007 sx230 HO. I did a sea trial last weekend and on Monday had a Yamaha certified mechanic test everything and he said it was in wonderful condition for an 07 and everything worked. The compression settings were fine but he did say plugs would need to be changed after this season as they had some build up on them.

I picked it up yesterday and I put it in the water today and neither engine would start. I double checked the kill switch to make sure it was plugged in correctly and it was.

Both engines turn over and try to start but they just won’t start. I put fresh gas in it today and it has 1/2 tank.

The clean out plugs had water on top of them so I cleaned them out and it still would not start after trying that.

I plan to change all plugs and oil next weekend to try that.

Please help.... anything I’m missing?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The clean out plug hatch has two switches under the lid.. Have someone hold them down And try it. Also ensure the motors are in neutral

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also. . Lol . there is a button u can push on the throttle that will allow u to start the motors without it in neutral... Like if u need to give it some gas while it is turning over... I would have to explain it to u if u think that would help.

mbjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll try holding those switches down next weekend and see if it works. I also heard I can bypass the kill switch to trouble shoot if it’s gone bad as well.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes but I dont recall hearing that as being much of an issue before. Mine did that one time.. I forgot tto plug up the battery charger before we went to the lake.. The I had to press that button and give it gas to get it started.. Once started it charged and it was fine..

mbjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll buy a battery charger as well and throw it on there as well. I think so both engines are doing the exact same thing it has to be something like batteries or kill switch somewhere.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can also start your engines out of the water (for troubleshooting on the trailer) as long as you don’t leave them running long.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, If the kill switch fails, you need to unplug it to troubleshoot. It breaks the connection when the lanyard is in, and connects the two cables to stop the engines.

I suspect the engine does not crank with the tray opened, but it does with the lanyard off. It may well be the lanyard switch.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw this post and immediately wondered how long it would be before you posted something like this. damn you! LOL

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So,i bet there's an inside joke there, but my 08 sx does turn over, but won't start without the lanyard in place. It will crank all day, but no sputter or start until the issue is addressed.

As i understand: turn over... Engine starter engages and engine "turns over " sounds as it does while it is spinning, but it is not producing any power on its own, just cranking, but has not started.

No turn over: engine no spin... No na-na-na-na sound. Maybe a click, maybe nothing.

mbjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So,i bet there's an inside joke there, but my 08 sx does turn over, but won't start without the lanyard in place. It will crank all day, but no sputter or start until the issue is addressed.

As i understand: turn over... Engine starter engages and engine "turns over " sounds as it does while it is spinning, but it is not producing any power on its own, just cranking, but has not started.

No turn over: engine no spin... No na-na-na-na sound. Maybe a click, maybe nothing.

Yes this is exactly what it’s doing.

Turn the keys and it sounds as if its trying to start like the starter is definitely working but it won’t start and run on their own.

I just read another post where a guy was having the same issue and turned out to be a loose battery connection.

Next weekend I plan to clean all battery terminals, change the plugs, and put a battery charger on it.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
check the kill switch in the wet locker.... even if it looks closed check the wires under the switch.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The hatch switches won't allow it to turn over. The lanyard will allow it to turn over but won't start. Check the lanyard and battery.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lanyard, if you can reach them, just disconnect the lanyard switch connectors from the boat to troubleshoot.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 08 but never tried it without the lanyard. My boat did exactly this .. After I lanched it. I had to press the button on the bottom of the throttle and give it some gas when I was starting it... Once it caught it was fine.. The batteries were almost dead. Would turn over and would act like it wanted to start but just wouldn't catch... Added a little gas and bang... Off we went.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mbjetboater I'm in Myrtle Beach as well. I will be around the area most of the week and I think this weekend if you need some help diagnosing let me know I can try and meet you at the boat and see if I can help you check the basics on this. Usually this is something simple like a bad switch or connection on one of the kill switches especially if its both motors. If one fires and the other doesn't it can get a little more complicated.