• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engines won’t start

Trewal11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great start to new lake house and taking boat out for the first time as a family this Memorial Day weekend.

Put the boat in the water and no issues. The next morning the boat clicks one time and nothing else for either motor. Battery tested good. Any ideas on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi, Welcome to the forum! Sounds like it the battery. Do you have a battery charger? How old is it? Did you check fuses/breakers?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check your battery cables. Especially the negative.

Trewal11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2005. I’m not boat savvy so hang with me. The battery tested okay. I’ll check the cables. The fuses and breakers are in the back of the engine compartment, correct. Thank you all for taking time to even help! I appreciate it.

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely check your throttle position (neutral), lanyard kill switch, and rear kill pressure switches under the rear hatch. All of these are crucial to get the engines to turn over.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have a two battery setup one will be dedicated to “crank/start” and the other for accessories and electronics. Make sure both batteries are “good” by individually testing them.

I have a two battery tender and the tender displays battery status, but it does not show the specific condition of my “crank” battery in isolation.

I learned this lesson recently ...

Trewal11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it’s not in neutral in won’t even click, so I’m assuming that’s ok. Are you referring to the kill switch in the clean out area? If so, those are tight or the engine won’t even click once. I only have one battery. Again, appreciate the help as I have three kids looking at me!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you hear a single click when you try to start either engine?

What voltage reading are you getting on the battery? 12.6v plus?

Have you tightened all battery and ground connections?

Check the fuses which may be in the Ecu box but I am not familiar with your model boat

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have already done the following:

1. Moved the throttle levers to be certain they are seated in the neutral position (doesnt mean they sit vertical...middle of 3 clicks)
  2. Pulled the safety lanyard off and reseated it
  3. Checked the clean out plug hatch is closed and locked (have someone stand on it)
Then my next bet is a dead battery.

Do the gauges work and come on? There is a boat wont start guide in the faq....let me go find the link

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You say Battery tested good. What test did you run? Voltage alone is not a good check. Voltage while trying to crank is a better test. Load test from auto parts store is a very good test, If you have a charger, set the battery to charge for 30 minutes and try again. Since it's both engines and last night it was good, it's making most folks (me included) think its very very likely to be the battery.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can take a battery out of one of your vehicles to prove it before springing for a new boat battery.

Last edited:

MSans

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi to everyone.....I have a 2006 Yamaha SX230 with two MR1 4-stroke. Can anybody tell me witch are the Compression numbers for the engines?.... 150-160-180-190 I really dont know. If there a standard or something in the internet to find it. Thanks for your help.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length