• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Epoxy mounting transducer inside hull

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a Garmin Echmap 54DV (non-chirp) during a West Marine one-day sale. It came with the Garmin GT21-TM transom-mount transducer. I'm really apprehensive about using a transom-mount (holes, exposed cables etc...) (sorry its a pet-peeve and this is a 3wk-old boat!)

I've seen some great posts on epoxy-mounting tranducers to the inside of the hull and using as in-hull.

Questions for the JetBoaters.net gurus....
1. Will I still be able to use the DownVu functionality?
2. Where is the best place (cored vs. non-cored locations)?
3. This tranducer is HUGE, the others i've seen in posts are much shorter... any ideas?
4. Has anyone done this with the Garmin GT21-TM?

I humbly await your combined genius...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-...z-transducer-with-temp-8-pin-/prod540583.html

Last edited:
I have done this on other boats but there is not much room on the yamahas. The transducer would have to mount under the muffler water boxes. Cam.

When I got my raymarine dragonfly, I looked into this, but they say you would lose the downscan imaging (why I bought it).

Someone on here said they did it and had good results...so, not sure what to tell you. Our hulls are so thin...

Hello @gpp7824 - I can tell you what I did when my 2015 242LS was still young and I installed my Lowrance Elite 5HDI.

I thought about doing the same thing but I wanted to use the down scanner, fish finder and water temp abilities. I eventually (it was sooo hard to drill a hole into my brand new $60K boat!!) decided to install it on the port side of my articulating keel. I used cable clamps to keep the cable close to the hull and then brought it into the boat via the scupper up the starboard side and to the helm.
The transducer was drilled into the port jet plate and into the hull (rather thick at the stern). I used 3M 5200 to seal everything really tight and let it fully cure before taking it out again.

Hope these pics help more than my ramble. lol

View from outside seeing the position, the cable routing, and the two bolts drilled through the jet plate.
transducer.jpg

This pic is looking inside. You'll see the two other bolts for the transducer (covered in 5200) and a few white spots from the cable clamps.
inside exhaust point.jpg

Here is the mounting at the helm. I used an automotive PCV grommet to seal the hole and then used a RAM mount to secure the head unit to the helm.
helm 2.jpg
helm close-up.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help with anything else with your install. I know its hard to drill on your new baby!!
(word of advise - when installing the head unit go a little further starboard than I did - about another 1/4")

Last edited:
Back