• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Evolution of the 240 since 2015

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

I’ve got the bug for a 24 foot Yamaha jet boat, but of course am searching for the unicorn; being, initial depreciation hit taken, driven on Sunday’s 5 times a summer only by a conservative driver who never hits over 5000 rpm, and only in fresh water.

That said, I’m most interested in this posting this to understand the 240’s evolution since launching the new keel and rudder. Have the engines changed much if at all? Is the dual push-rod steering a worthy improvement (what year?), and is there anything else I should know? I’m probably targeting the AR, but also like the idea of the woven floor mats (which I assume can be easily done after market?). Any comments on the fly by wire controls of the 242SE? Worth the $15k msrp upgrade? Also, what’s a practical tow weight for these boats? I can pull 6600 lbs, but don’t want to push it.

Is a lower cost - low hours, we’ll maintained 04 “just about as good”? Are the aftermarket fins ( rudder ?) sufficient to allow my teen easy steering at the dock? Is the tracking of the center keel on post ‘15s really a worthy cost?

Greatly appreciate all dialogue on this!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wonder mostly if that keel makes a difference coming off the big waves like 3 footers. Earlier models had an oil cooler bolt to keep an eye on. A bit later and up to 16 it was a timing chain issue. The hulls got deeper a bit with the 15 and up i believe as well, increasing freeboard but a little weight as well with it.
Beyond that i am hoping to learn from first handers as you are!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I feel like the ‘15+ hull on the 24’ boats rides way smoother than my ‘11 21’ boat, due to the new keel. It cuts the waves better, as the bottom isn’t quite as flat as it used to be.

As for the major stuff... hull and engines are exactly the same from ‘15 to ‘20. ‘19 got some new reverse buckets to give a little boost on lateral thrust.

Yes, the e-throttle (fly by wire) really is that awesome!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! Lol, talk me into the top of the line! How it the fly by wire that awesome ( and I’m a robotics/automation guy... get the whole e-control thing)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess it’s hard to describe, until you’ve driven both. Just so much smoother. I rarely use the single lever mode. Mostly just turn it on for the wife.

Feels like the throttle/rpm range is much more steady, as well. @swatski has some posts about the travel range of the throttle and ways to improve it.

What I’ve told people is that if you don’t want to spend the extra $, don’t drive an E or X series boat. If you drive it, in my opinion, you’re probably going to buy it.

There are a couple downsides. Reverse bucket is computer driven, so if it gets jammed you’ll need to override it in order to tinker. (Easily done under the helm). And Reverse is rpm limited, so you can’t pour on the gas in reverse. Seemed like my boat stopped at 4000 rpm in reverse this weekend... which is plenty. Just annoying sometimes for quick maneuvers like coming back for a down rider or emergency stopping power.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 19's still only have 1 tie rod from one of the jets to the keel. If you install a CJS system he sends another tie rod to balance the load.

On the e-series reverse rpm is limited to 4500 rpm. But if you go full reverse you can tap the "no wake +" up to 3 times and get and extra 500 rpm each time, for a total of 6000. Seems like you would need a 3rd arm for that but there it is.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 19's still only have 1 tie rod from one of the jets to the keel. If you install a CJS system he sends another tie rod to balance the load.

On the e-series reverse rpm is limited to 4500 rpm. But if you go full reverse you can tap the "no wake +" up to 3 times and get and extra 500 rpm each time, for a total of 6000. Seems like you would need a 3rd arm for that but there it is.
That's exactly the case! I only realized we have the reverse "cruise +" override capability late last season. Not very practical under most conditions,but it's good to know it is there if you need it. Could come in handy with the "reverse maneuver".

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! Lol, talk me into the top of the line! How it the fly by wire that awesome ( and I’m a robotics/automation guy... get the whole e-control thing)
Yamaha cable throttles have very short working range/binnacles “productive” travel, most of throttle travel is dead range.
Makes fine RPM adjustments and sync-ing between the two engines hard, especially in chop.

That said, those cable linkages are extremely reliable and can provide instant feedback in emergencies, for example w/something jamming the reverse buckets. In a jet boat with a single throttle/reverse bucket control handle that's good thing. Also, the cable throttles can be adjusted to not droop. The E-throttles are so smooth they can move due to binnacles own inertia in very rough conditions.

Given the APS modules are used in most non-E boats, a system such as Ridesteady solves the issue of smooth cruise control, or RPM control, and engine syncing; three is a knob for smoothest, easy, small increment RPM or speed adjustments and full auto engine sync.

--

Threelakessx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the steering on the new hull with the keel and rudder took much more effort on plane vs. my 2010 and it lost the "jet boat feel" that I like. With the trust vectors on the 2010 I don't see a big difference in slow speed handling compared to the keel & rudder design. I know others may feel different. I also don't believe there is any improvement in rough water ride in the new hull design vs. the 2010. My 2010 is awesome in chop and wakes.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seem there are certainly various opinions! Thank you all!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also don't believe there is any improvement in rough water ride in the new hull design vs. the 2010. My 2010 is awesome in chop and wakes.
I would disagree. The 2015+ 240 hull is noticeably better in serious chop as it cuts through a lot more with way less "slapping" of the stern. When airborne.

--

Threelakessx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
"When airborne" yikes! I will admit that I can't give a ride opinion of stern slap when airborne. My review would be at a bit slower speed:happy:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"When airborne" yikes! I will admit that I can't give a ride opinion of stern slap when airborne. My review would be at a bit slower speed:happy:
Keep in mind, in 2ft chop with a short period, my comment pertains to speeds above about 20mph, which I would not consider excessive.

No need to be in the ocean either, big lakes and rivers can develop those kinds of conditions in a hurry. Often times you will not be better off going slower and trying to maintain planning speeds you would be glad to have the 2015+ hull, those AKs (articulating keels) really help in chop. Ideally also paired with trim tabs.