• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Excessive water in the bilge for 2003 Yamaha SR/SX 230

SRSx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a 2003 SR 230 Yamaha, I noticed excessive water in the bilge upon boating for 6 hours in the ocean and I assume bilge is not automatic since it didn't turn on, I turn it on myself and noted a lot of water coming out from the bilge outlet. What's the reason for all the water? I know there is a valve near the drain plug, whats the use of that? I have all the repair manual but don't know the use of that valve, it seems ok still but I want to know if that the cause of water in the bilge and i'm afraid it might go to my engine if I don't turn on the bilge. Anything would help. Thank you experts of Yamaha SX230.

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
There are so many sources of water in the boat that its going to be impossible for anyone to just tell you where its coming from. Could be transom plate leaking, broken scupper for the deck drain, bad shaft seals, any # of hoses, exhaust leak, control cables leaking, anchor locker drain fitting, the list goes on

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check your scupper very closely, if you've got the plastic scupper below waterline, you really should replace it right away, whether it's the current source of water ingestion or not. Potentially catastrophic if it breaks while in the water, because it would be a massive hole taking in water. Past that, one way you can possibly locate a leak is to park the boat on an incline, tail end down, and fill with water from a garden hose, then walk around the outside, and see if you see water coming out anywhere. Also, make sure none of your cooling lines for the engine are leaking, and don't forget that water is pushed through the exhaust, so it could be rusted off clamps under the rear cleanout lid.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another common culprit is the cleanout tray may not be sealed well or at all. I just used regular bathroom caulk to seal around it and if you need to get in that area it is easily removeable.