• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exciter 270 issues

ryanv75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Got a exciter 270 with a blown engine. Sent it away and installed - new engine runs great but shakes when accelerates. Seen where the impeller housing meets the hull and there is calking missing so I am pretty sure this is the issue with the shaking and the hull filling up with water. The other issue is with the old engine. It fouled a couple sets of plugs while the new engine didn’t. The new motor is on break in so the oil is pretty heavy at about 35/1. The old engine doesn’t start near as easily as the new one and the rpms would not hold steady it was dropping a couple hundred rpm here and there. Old engine didn’t want to start so I put new plugs in. The old ones has oil in them- on the new plugs the old engine only would get to 4000 rpm and then suddenly spring to life. By the end of the ride I couldn’t get it past 4000. Thinking it may still be a plug issue - I used NGK plugs. When I did a compression test of the old engine they looked ok and within about 5 lbs of each other. Just wondering if there are better plugs, if this could be a carb issue or if anyone has any other ideas. Also can you inspect the wear ring gap for the impeller without removing the whole assembly ?

Last edited:

ryanv75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Also the throttle has to be quite a bit more advanced on the old motor to attain the same rpm - tack not working on new engine so I don’t know if it redlines but old engine tipped out at about 6000

ryanv75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Here are some pictures of the calking on the hull, the impeller housing and the calking on the inside of the engine compartment was redone on the old engine side but not the new engine side

Attachments

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds to me like a carb issue. Hard to beat sending them out and getting them professional restored. Unless you did this recently and really know how to test the pop-off, etc. I would consider doing this. I would also get some compression readings on both the old and new engine. The old engine may also be in need of a fresh, top end rebuild and it really isn't hard to do especially if the carb racks are already off. I did mine while the engine was still in the boat. I don't know if you have enough room in an exciter since my was an LS2000 but even still, these are lighter engines to move around