• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Expandable Foam for painted trailer ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am getting ready for Bimini and it looks like I will have to put my painted trailer in salt water. So now I have to try to minimize the damage that the salt will cause. As I was searching on the forum, I saw that on Feb 9th 2015 @Vedner19 put some waterproof expandable foam. Has anyone else tried something like this?

@Vedner19 how is this mod working for you? I was wonder how you were able to cover all the “holes” with the foam? I am thinking that some water might make it in and then get “trapper” inside the frame and hence make it even worse.

Anyway, any suggestion will about either using foam or any other ideas to minimize the damage will be greatly appreciate it.

PS. I will try to hose it down with saltaway and even put the trailer in the lake as soon as I get back home in Texas, but I wonder how to further minimize damage. I keep saying damage because that is my #1 concern. My trailer does look like new right now, but I am willing to tolerate loosing the cosmetics as long as the corrosion does not cause any structural damage on the trailer.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest against it. It is messy stuff and hard to do a good job with. Then all it would do is trap the salt water. Better to flush it and apply some crawling type oil to the inside of the tubes to coat them. Kings rustproofing or similar capiliary action oil might work out. But keep in mind that I have never had my trailer in salt water. Cam.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am wondering if you could use an air compressor to spray or fog protective oil into the inside of the frame?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bring a big bottle of salt away and a hose connector and spray the heck out of the trailer after the drop in and pull out. Launch the trailer both ways as shallow as you can and do that and you will be fine.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there a marina close to where you are wanting to put in that could use a lift to load your boat from trailer to water and vise versa?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a marina close to where you are wanting to put in that could use a lift to load your boat from trailer to water and vise versa?
We have tried to find such an option at a large number of marinas in the past. It has always turned out to either be very expensive or not an option.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik, I think that your best bet is to give it a good rinse (don't forget the brakes) inside and out with Salt Away each time the trailer hits the salt water. That means, when you launch at Harbour Towne, you'll have to leave the excited family sitting in the boat at the dock while you spray down the trailer as best you can. At the end of the Bimini trip, some folks were talking about dropping their boats into a fresh water lake (some name with "springs" into it I think). I'm thinking of doing this myself.
Something that @Bruce and @KXCam22 said earlier reminded me of when I used to live in southern Canada, where they used lots of salt on the roads during the winter. It's unlikely that you'll find the same service in TX, but in Canada, there were rustproofing services that would drill holes into parts of the car frame/body and spray a rustproof oil compound into the cavities, as well as spray most of the exposed (not the exhaust or brake systems) underside of the vehicle. Like I said, it's unlikely that you'll find this type of service in TX.
The most damage will occur to your trailer while it sits at Harbour Towne while you're in Bimini. Rinse it with Salt Away when you launch in Harbour Towne. Rinse it as best you can, enjoy Bimini, then give it a good dunk/rinse repeat in fresh water upon your return.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rinse it with Salt Away when you launch in Harbour Towne. Rinse it as best you can, enjoy Bimini, then give it a good dunk/rinse repeat in fresh water upon your return.
That is exactly what we did last year. If I remember correctly there was fresh water available at Harbour Towne, you can purchase Salt-away as a regular spray and also in those sprayer bottles that can be attached to a hose.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tocelli , I called the marinas around Bahia Mar and there is only viable solution. It is a bit over $400 for drop and pick up. The other marinas where either too far, too expensive or could not accommodate a boat less than 30 feet. Just as Bruce mentioned it is not worth the hasle/price combination. For $3,000 I could get an aluminum trailer, so if my trailer can last 8 salt water drops and pick ups then I am good. I am primarily worried about structural damage.

@MrMoose I think I know the fresh water lunch that you are referring to. I googled it and it does look like a bit of distance. Bruce mention that from that location to Bahia Mar is good 4-5 no wake ride and that we should be bringing new spark plugs with us. I thought about this option too, but I am not sure what the parking situation is.

Speaking of dunk/rinse, would Harbour Towne allow us to launch the boat drive away for 3 hours with the trailer and then come back and park in there!!! If so there is a camp ground with a ramp in Belle Glande ( 1.5 hours away). We could make the round trip to put in fresh water and avoid all the head ache.

@swatski I might have to do that at Harbour Towne, but it looks like there is going to be a line and I hate have to borrow the hose. They will rent me the hose, then I would be 2 hours rinsing, but having to borrow the hose while others are waiting their turns is what what I hate. 1st I will be holding up the ramp and then holding up the hose. :(

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@Betik its worked great for me. I've used the foam on a couple trailers now and then I always coat them with Plastidip. I go around the whole trailer and plug any holes. Usually anywhere there's a light there's a hole. Im also thorough with washing the trailer with soap and water when I get home. Been a few years and still haven't spotted first sign of rust. You'll never get all of the salt out of hollow portion of the trailer frame so I try to keep it out. Don't see any water pouring out of mine when I pull out of the boat ramp.

Attachments

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My painted ski trailer after several years of salt water dunking. I always washed the trailer with Salt Terminator after every salt water launch.

I suggest you find a way to wash the trailer after launching, and after retrieving.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the feedback.
I found out that CorrosionX is located 30 miles from my house, so I called. The technician (Allan) said that they have a "fogging" mechanism that they use in aviation applications and that he expects it should work for the trailer interior. He said that when CorrosionX comes in contact with water it takes about a month before it washes off. So I figured I will fog the trailer right before I leave or when I am Florida.

BTW. he also mentioned that CorrosionX HD is too thick to be fogged. So although it will offer more protection, it will not work for the interior.