• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extreme jet-boating

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Err... these people are crazy. Awesomely cool, but crazy. :)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to make one of these and drive it around the local lake like a crazy man on calm summer nights.

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Volffas - that's what got me to that video; other videos of people building these, especially for running rivers in Alaska. Some of the builds are so cute you want to pinch their little aluminum cheeks. :)

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those are too cool, but how many rocks do they suck into the impeller?

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those are too cool, but how many rocks do they suck into the impeller?
Taking a wild guess, I would say "none". They're custom builds, and I'm guessing that the owners planned this - including the appropriate (oversize and well-screened?) intakes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They actually suck a lot of small rocks that get through those tight intake grates - enough to destroy our impellers in a nanosecond! But these guys run heavy duty impellers - usually Skat - which are bizarrely almost indestructible.

--

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They actually suck a lot of small rocks that get through those tight intake grates - enough to destroy our impellers in a nanosecond! But these guys run heavy duty impellers - usually Skat - which are bizarrely almost indestructible.
Huh. I just looked at a Skat on the Web, and they don't look all that different. And heck, for the price diff I see, if I ever have to install a new one... hmm, hmm. :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh. I just looked at a Skat on the Web, and they don't look all that different. And heck, for the price diff I see, if I ever have to install a new one... hmm, hmm. :)
I would call Glenn Perry at Skat factory - the impeller guy. I'm sure he could tell you everything you need to know. In my experience he is not a salesman type at all, more of a merit/technical guy.
He loves to talk impellers, too.
You can call their general number and just ask for him, everyone knows who he is.

--

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would call Glenn Perry at Skat factory - the impeller guy. I'm sure he could tell you everything you need to know. In my experience he is not a salesman type at all, more of a merit/technical guy.
He loves to talk impellers, too.
You can call their general number and just ask for him, everyone knows who he is.
Thanks, @swatski! I'm not quite up for messing with that end yet - still trying to figure out what's wrong with my SportJet 175 this week, which (with the bits of troubleshooting I've been able to get done, snatching minutes to do it here and there) seems to have dropped a switchbox all of a sudden... but when I get around to it, well, I like high-quality components for my boats. Good to know!