• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exuma Bahamas Trip June 2016

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after a year of planning we are just under a month away from the 2016 Exuma Bahamas gathering. This conversation started with a few of us very shortly after the Bimini trip last year and the stars aligned that a few of us would be able to do this trip this year. There has been a ton of planning involved and a lot of obstacles over come to make it happen as this is remote area with not a lot of lodging, Marina's, supplies or Fuel. We will be leaving Ft Lauderdale a few days before the Bimini group leaves and should be in Bimini by mid week during the time that the people that are going on the Bimini gathering will be there so we look forward to catching you guys there and hearing about your adventure as well as sharing ours. The members who will be going on this trip are @Andy S @JROD @Ramblin Wreck @1948Isaac and I. We plan to take what seems to be the traditional route which involves leaving Ft Lauderdale on Day 1 Checking in to customs at Bimini and refueling there and heading on to Chub Cay that day as well. We do have a stretch goal of Nassau on that first day as we have several people flying into Nassau we will be picking up so it would be nice to make it there in the first day but this is only if conditions are near perfect. Second day we plan to go to Nassau if we do not hit our stretch goal and pick the remaining people in our party who are flying into there and working our way down the Exuma chain to our home base of Staniel Cay. We have rented three places down there to be able to accommodate our group as lodging in one spot just wasn't working out. A four bedroom beach house and 2 one bedroom units. We have a couple Delorme Inreach units and a Spot Connect GPS that will be with us so we will post a link here before we leave so anyone who wants to follow along can. @Andy S has made a great list of spots we plan to visit hopefully he will post it over here for everyone to see. Saftey Equipment wise we are rolling with an EPIRB, 2 Satellite Phones, VHF's 2 Delorme Inreach SE's. 2 GPS Spot Connects, and every vessel has GPS of some kind. We plan to provision in Ft Lauderdale and possibly pick a few thing up in Nassau as the supplies on the island are very limited. I was told by our rental owner if we need provisions she needed three weeks notice to have the house stocked to give you an idea. We all will have to carry extra fuel to make this trip as a safety net which also added to the complications. We are looking forward to this and are praying for great weather.
#Exumas2016

@Andy S - 2016 Cobalt R5
@Ramblin Wreck -2015 Yamhama FXHO
@1948Isaac -2015 Yamaha AR240
@JROD - 2015 Kawasaki Ultra 310LX
@robert843 - 2013 Kawasaki Ultra LX

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This trip is not for the faint of heart, we will be traveling 285 miles from Fort Lauderdale to Staniel Cay.

As @robert843 mentioned here is a list of places we hope to visit.

Nassau Palm Cay - Sunken Steel Boat
Norman Cay - Carlos Lehder house
- DC3 drug plane wreck
Waderick Wells Cay - sunken vessel at mouring ball #9
- emerald rock
- coral reef
White Bay Cay - Tyler Perry's private island
Hall Pond Cay - jeep reef
Little Hall Pond Cay - Johnny Depp's private island
O'Briens Cay - snorkeling sea aquarium
- airplance wreck
Pasture Cay - iguanas
Rocky Dundas - grotto & coral
Compass Cay - ocean hot tub
- nurse sharks
Thomas Cay - shallow reef snorkeling
Little Pipe Cay - lighthouse
Big Major Cay - sandy beach hangout spot
- swimming pigs
Staniel Cay - Thunderball grotto
- airplane wreck
Bitter Guana Cay - iguanas
Great Guana Cay - osprey nest
Little Farmers Cay - Farmers Cay Yacht Club - Food Only
Musha Cay - David Copperfield's private island
- airplance wreck
Rudder Cut Cay - mermaid sculpture
- paino sculpture
- grotto
Goat Cay - Tim McGraw & Faith Hills private island

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking forward to doing this one day. Best of luck to you all. Take lots of photos and video! Godspeed.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This sounds awesome and safe travels, one day I will make some trip like this. Looking forward to updates and info and pictures.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am extremely envious, this is going to be an amazing trip.

BigJay17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I was going. I should be in bimini and I will meet up with u guys. If u plan another trip I want to tag along.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I was going. I should be in bimini and I will meet up with u guys. If u plan another trip I want to tag along.
I'm sure if this years trip goes well someone will probably try and plan one for next year.
#exumas2016

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How are you guys doing extra fuel? Boats storing most of it for the skiis?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ski's are carrying their own extra fuel, should only need a couple of gallons to make the longest leg. I will also be carrying an extra 10 gallons just for insurance since I shouldn't need it but you never know who will.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No each ski will be carrying its own additional fuel. Too much risk involved if the seas are rough trying to hand off 30lbs fuel tanks from a boat to the ski and god forbid a wave knocks the ski hard into the boat or the other way around to much could go wrong to fast in that situation. @Ramblin Wreck had a pic of his set up maybe he can post it over here
#exumas2016

Last edited:

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In perfect seas, I believe all the skis going could make the longest runs which would be around 90 miles or so. Of course, that is wishful thinking. Originally, I was only going to take a single five gallon can because I didn't want the extra weight on the back as I expect it to alter the ride a good bit (hopefully I'm wrong). However, to play it safe, I'm going to strap two 5 gallon cans. I would like to think that would be more then enough. I decided to strap them independently of one another so I could access one at a time and not have to juggle two 30+ pound cans in the open ocean. I also wanted to keep my visibility hole uncovered so @Andy S wouldn't run me over in that new Cobalt :). Here's a pic.

image.jpeg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is approximately the route they will take. The Bimini trip is only the first hop of what they have planned.

image.jpeg

These numbers are based on 10 gallons per hour consumption at 20 mph which I am using as an average of my Bimini crossing experiences.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pray we can average faster them 20 mph its going to be a long rough trip if thats our average but May's forecast has not given a lot of hope as of yet really hope it starts to clean up
#exumas2016

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length